Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  19
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2015 PGA

Re: 2015 PGA

The tee-off for the leaders is set at 2:30 pm local time---> Jason Day / Jordan Spieth are paired up and get to go 10 minutes prior to that, in about an hour from now.

We've had a couple of folks flirting with -6 today, among them Phil Mickelson.
    Last edited by Correspondent Kiu; 07-20-2015 at 05:23 AM.

We are on, leaders teed off.
    I heard via Radio Sport news that tickets were £10 today,
    Lucky B...

Dustin Johnson did his normal choke and this time he didn't even wait until the end. But here comes another Johnson, Zach joins the leaders.
    Mr. Louis Oosthuizen is leading at -13, there is a pack of 4 at -12 and 5 others at -11

This is a ridiculous final round - no idea who is going to win - three way tie for the lead - a dozen players have a shot to win right now. Raining again - very hard at the moment.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Clutch birdie putt for Zach on the 18th. THAT was amazing!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I hate the ridiculous questions they ask someone after winning a huge game/tournament/match!

"What does this mean to you?" Really?

::

Good for Zach!!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

That was the most exciting day of golf I've seen in at least a few years. Really seemed like Speith was going to pull it off a couple times!

While this is a post about golf, it is not truly about the "PGA". Still, I'm going to post it here. I'm a bit of a golf nut, sometimes almost as much so as my love of tennis (hope that is not too heretic to say here!!).

Anyway, the Solheim Cup surely had a very interesting last day. The comeback by the American team was quite impressive. I think if they had barely lost instead of winning, the big controversy about the not-conceded putt would have become a more widespread controversy than it did. As clearly as there were some sportsmanship issues at stake, it was also ultimately clear that the rules of golf (as totally silly as they often are) were followed in this case.

Still.....I can't help but wonder why the governing bodies don't take the VERY easy step of getting rid of "concession" controversies by simply getting rid of "concessions". I know that the option to concede a putt to one's opponent has been a part of match play forever, and heaven knows, traditions in golf must NOT be violated. But with the high stakes that now seem to be placed on these matches, why not make it so that no hole is finished until the ball hits the bottom of the cup? Given that the putts being conceded are usually less than 2 feet, this would not add significant time to a hole. Also, what happened today is not nearly the only time there has been controversy. I've been at many of these team matches where someone gets a bee up their bonnet over the fact that "I was conceding all of the 2 1/2-foot putts, but she wasn't conceding anything over 1 foot." That last doesn't involve anyone breaking a rule at all, but I have seen plenty of ill will caused when there seems to be a different standard for deciding when a putt is short enough to concede. There is no such thing as a conceded putt in stroke play, so only a relatively small percentage of professional tournaments have that as an option. I say get rid of it, and then the ill will of this morning could never have occurred.

Another rant about a controversy that absolutely always swirls around these team matches: captain's picks. Every single time that I can recall, in Ryder, Solheim, and President's Cups (and likely other team situations), the captain's picks have caused controversy. And I must admit that I myself have usually felt that at least one pick was, in fact, very controversial. Usually most of the team members are decided by a points list, a carefully devised objective method of players earning points from their play on their respective tours. But the last 2-4 players, with the exact number varying from year to year and event to event, are picked by the captain, who can use absolutely any criteria he/she chooses to use.

The controversies about captains' picks arise from many things, including: 1. The captain picked his friends/family. No example could be better than Jay Haas, this year's President's Cup captain for the USA team, picking his own son as a captain's pick. His son was 11th on the points list, with 10 getting in automatically, so the pick was definitely defensible, but should we have a captain in a position to need to decide whether to pick his own son or not?
    2. The captain picks a "veteran" who has had a terrible year, but he feels this person deserves to be on the team due to past performance. This was the criticism leveled at Jay Haas for picking Phil Mickelson (and I am on the side of the complainers....Phil was 30th on the points list, meaning numbers 12-29 were passed over to take him). It also applies to Juli Inkster having picked Paula Creamer for the Solheim Cup (though after the event, that pick is looking pretty smart).

So sometimes the picks work out and other times they don't at all.....on the "don't at all" side, see Tom Watson's picks for last year's Ryder Cup.

Anyway, my recommendation would be this: Since you have gone to so much trouble to tweak this system of earning points, why not take the top 12 (or whatever number is needed) and be done with it? At least then, the ones left out might be able to rail against the points system, but they would not have any reason to criticize the captain. I know this lessens the job of the captain, but in my opinion, it is lessening it in a way that is way overdue. If the list is not arriving at the team in the best way, the criteria for earning points could continue to be tweaked, but at least they could continue to be objective.

Just a couple of rants I couldn't help but feel after another major team event.

GH

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There are a number of golf fans here, myself included.

Now that I've seen and read a lot of "She said, she said" about the concession controversy, I wanted to add this:

If there is one thing that really makes me come down on the side of saying that Suzann Pettersen was wrong and unsportsmanlike in demanding that the putt was not conceded, it was the body language that occurred right after that putt. Pettersen was at the end of the green turning around to move on. Charley Hull (the other European player playing with Pettersen) immediately started walking briskly away. I don't see how Allison Lee should have interpreted that as anything other than that the putt had been conceded and we're all leaving for the 18th tee. If either of them had initially been planning to have her make that putt, they would have stood still and watched her do it.

The referee, who I suppose did his job by interpreting the rules "correctly", did nothing to help to lessen the ill will. He himself said "The hole is halved..." etc., indicating that he thought the putt was conceded. Nonetheless, both European players then said they had said nothing, so he had to award them the hole. Still, it was clearly just Pettersen who pushed this and made it a big, unsportsmanlike deal. Hull was even in tears over this. While we can't know what the tears were really for, it appeared she was upset that this caused such a stir and so much ill will. Lee said she thought she had heard the putt conceded, but she was definitely not sure of that, and said so. If she had insisted that she heard one of them say it, then it could have gotten even uglier. I do think Allison Lee was as good a sportsman about it as she could have been, though she was incredibly shaken by this.

We came within 1/2 point, the smallest possible margin in that scoring system, of this incident deciding the result of the Cup. That is why I think "concessions" should simply cease to exist as an option. Then, either the ball gets in the hole or it doesn't.

Anyway.....the point I really wanted to make was the point about the body language. I have now seen that replayed easily a dozen times, and I would clearly have taken the body language to mean the putt was conceded. Unfortunately, spoken language is the basis for the rule.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    While this is a post about golf, it is not truly about the "PGA". Still, I'm going to post it here. I'm a bit of a golf nut, sometimes almost as much so as my love of tennis (hope that is not too heretic to say here!!).

GH
    Kirkus! Off with his head!!!!!
    (How dare you, GH!)

Missing winter...

Prize Money Record Broken

Jordan Speith, the 22 year old American golfer breaks the prize money record.

Read more here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/28/golf/j...&iref=obinsite

Previous record was held by Tiger Woods, beaten by over a million dollars.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345