Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 PGA

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: 2015 PGA

Jordan Speith is the first player to ever score -19 at The Masters. and still 3 holes left to play.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

So there was this advice for Spieth:

Bruce Arthur @bruce_arthur 60m 60 minutes ago
    Avoid marrying a Swedish bikini model nanny and then chasing cocktail waitresses and strippers and then leaving your phone unlocked, Jordan
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I am not ashamed to say my pre-tournament prediction for Mr. Spieth was incorrect.

As an aside, used to think Tiger was an ironman - but he has retired from tournaments a lot as of late. Thought he would do the same today.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There was a time when I was a fan of only one or two players. Now I'm a fan of many. Jordan and Rory at the top.

I would think Tiger would be happy with his performance this past week.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There was a time when I was a fan of only one or two players. Now I'm a fan of many. Jordan and Rory at the top.

I would think Tiger would be happy with his performance this past week.

The King is dead (Tiger Woods), long live the King (Jordan Spieth).

A seminal moment akin to Sharapova winning Wimbledon -- we are on a tennis forum after all.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I agree that Tiger should be pleased with his performance, taking the last 8 months of his playing career into account. That said, I'm not sure he's ever pleased at all with anything less than a win. I had expected him not to be even remotely in contention, maybe even missing the cut (or withdrawing, as mentioned above).

Anyway, I am SO proud of my pre-tournament prediction of Jordan Spieth to win. (see my first note on this thread) If only I could do nearly so well on tennis SP's !?!

GH

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Great job, Glenn!

I am happy someone who graduated Jesuit Prep made good news as opposed to the last news, which was one of those OSU frat bus boys.

Being from Dallas, if I had a kid who was interested in golf, the two things I would do would be join Brookhaven Country Club and send him there for lessons and send him to Jesuit to be on their high school gold team, both of which Spieth did. Both places are known for their golf (although Justin Leonard was attached to Royal Oaks Country Club, I believe).

Oh, and Kirkus, you cannot be a fan of tennis and Rory after what he did to Caroline.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Unless you don't like Caro...then that would make you a bigger Rory fan!

Some of the people on TAT must love my well-after-the-event posts, usually because I was, AGAIN, away from all news sources. Gertie and I were in the woods from mid-day last Wednesday until yesterday evening (Monday evening). Since I have always loved watching the drama of the last few holes at The Players, I got Chris to TiVo the final round. I watched it totally unspoiled from start to finish today.....a great way to relax after 6 days of backpacking.

Anyway, for those of you who are golf fans who may not have seen it, I think this was as good as golf gets as a spectator sport. There were so many players who came up with great shots toward the end, that I was genuinely sorry they couldn't all win. The final several holes of regulation were amazing: Rickie Fowler going birdie-par-birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie on the last 6 holes to get into the play-off; Kevin Kisner's huge putt on 17 and then his near miss on 18 (which would have won it for him in regulation); Sergio Garcia making putt after putt despite being famous for his yips at putting; and Bill Haas and Ben Martin VERY narrowly missing the play-off with stellar play down the stretch.

Rickie's shots on the 4th play-off hole were amazing, so he clearly deserved to win. I especially felt bad for the last remaining play-off player, Kevin Kisner, who also was magnificent through that last stretch. He also lost a well played play-off just a few weeks ago to Jim Furyk at Hilton Head.

Anyway.....it was great sports drama.

Now some dish......Rickie Fowler's "girlfriend" looked like a cheap streetwalker in that get-up. I do guess she might really be his girlfriend. But with his prior absolute lack of obvious female companionship, there have been the usual rumors that he might not prefer the girls. Anyway, while I have no way of knowing, I guess he might be straight. If so, he is a perfect example of a metro-sexual. His hair and clothes always have to be perfect, and he always appears to have just had a perfect manicure (one gets a look at such things in golf telecasts).

Whatever his story, Rickie is an excellent golfer, and Sunday, he showed amazing grit to win in that field.

GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I checked mid round and nothing exciting seemed to be happening so I didn't record it. I am really regretting that decision!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Some of the people on TAT must love my well-after-the-event posts, usually because I was, AGAIN, away from all news sources. Gertie and I were in the woods from mid-day last Wednesday until yesterday evening (Monday evening). Since I have always loved watching the drama of the last few holes at The Players, I got Chris to TiVo the final round. I watched it totally unspoiled from start to finish today.....a great way to relax after 6 days of backpacking.

Anyway, for those of you who are golf fans who may not have seen it, I think this was as good as golf gets as a spectator sport. There were so many players who came up with great shots toward the end, that I was genuinely sorry they couldn't all win. The final several holes of regulation were amazing: Rickie Fowler going birdie-par-birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie on the last 6 holes to get into the play-off; Kevin Kisner's huge putt on 17 and then his near miss on 18 (which would have won it for him in regulation); Sergio Garcia making putt after putt despite being famous for his yips at putting; and Bill Haas and Ben Martin VERY narrowly missing the play-off with stellar play down the stretch.

Rickie's shots on the 4th play-off hole were amazing, so he clearly deserved to win. I especially felt bad for the last remaining play-off player, Kevin Kisner, who also was magnificent through that last stretch. He also lost a well played play-off just a few weeks ago to Jim Furyk at Hilton Head.

Anyway.....it was great sports drama.

Now some dish......Rickie Fowler's "girlfriend" looked like a cheap streetwalker in that get-up. I do guess she might really be his girlfriend. But with his prior absolute lack of obvious female companionship, there have been the usual rumors that he might not prefer the girls. Anyway, while I have no way of knowing, I guess he might be straight. If so, he is a perfect example of a metro-sexual. His hair and clothes always have to be perfect, and he always appears to have just had a perfect manicure (one gets a look at such things in golf telecasts).

Whatever his story, Rickie is an excellent golfer, and Sunday, he showed amazing grit to win in that field.

GH
    I try really hard to not judge a book by its cover. I mean, working with the public, a lot of the public, over the past almost 6 years, I've learned that multiple tattoos or piercings or slutty revealing clothes, etc. don't indicate the kind of person someone is. Having said that, I was embarrassed for his girlfriend even if she wasn't embarrassed for herself. She must've known on Sunday morning that, as his girlfriend, there was a good chance national cameras would find her in the crowd. And yet she made the conscious decision to dress like that.

Ricky is one of a handful of golfers that I cheer for. I was so happy to see him play the way he did, especially on the 17th hole, and earn that win. Especially after having been voted one of the most over-rated golfers on tour.

Kirkus, That phrase in your note was PERFECT: "I was embarrassed for his girlfriend even if she wasn't embarrassed for herself." .....exactly my sentiments.

By the way, I get "SI Golf" as a free add-in to my SI subscription. I always love reading their polls, which are done largely in fun and anonymously. So I never really think too much about them. I guess the ONLY justification for calling Rickie Fowler "over-rated" is his relative lack of wins. Because.....for a previously one-time winner (The Players' makes 2), he had an amazing resume'. Just one example: in 2014, he finished in the top 5 of ALL 4 majors. No one else could come close to saying that last year. Those who voted for him for that "honor" are quite likely feeling a bit embarrassed just now. But as I said, none of them take those polls very seriously.

He was tied for "most over-rated" with Ian Poulter. Again, I disagree. Poulter has many international wins, but his match play record is especially first rate....he is a prior winner of that WGC Match Play Championship (won this year by Rory McIlroy), and he has a Ryder Cup record that would be the total envy of ANY American golfer.

Speaking of those polls.....in one of the SI polls of the pro-golfers last year, one question was something like "Do you know of any gay male golfers on the PGA tour?" (not asking names.....the only possible answers were "yes" or "no"). Prior to seeing the result, I was expecting maybe 10-20% to say yes. But to my astonishment, the result was Yes: 81% and No: 19%. Of course that got me to thinking "who?", and I must admit that Fowler was about my first thought. But really, there is no significant evidence to support that.

GH

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Can we vote on who we WISH was gay?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

Jason Day just collapsed on the course at the U.S. Open. They're saying he was overcome with dizziness.

::

He's back on his feet attempting to continue but he looks shaky as all get out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast