Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

15 55.56%
  • Yes

12 44.44%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Can Roger Federer reach 100 titles?

I also think 100 is unlikely, but it depends a lot on how much more he can still win this year. On the one hand he is an excellent scheduler and will not overplay, but on the other hand he will only schedule top tournaments. So no easy titles anywhere.
    Roger forever

There is however counter example - Dr Ivo is 38 and still #20 in the world. Federer ought to be able to do better than that if he really wants to.
    Roger forever

Totally agree with what you are saying. But:
    He plastered Rafa two weeks ago, and now 3&4 against Delpo. So if he keeps this level, 5 more tourneys this year are not impossible, and 5 more next are well within his grasp (and racket).
    And also: somebody please tell me how he lost that match in Dubai. He must have been drunk.
    Starry starry night

Those are called senior moments Ponchi.

I have something to say for all those people who voted no...

No one denies that the possibility of Roger becoming number 1 again, right? I mean it's not out of the realm of possibility, he is already back to #4 and climbing.
    In order to become #1 he needs to win a bunch of events, it's obvious.
    Hold onto your horses people, the year is still young.

I see one more yay in the poll.

Poll will close December of this year.

Still probably not, but looks less and less outrageous prediction.

On the all time list he is 3 SF's, 7 finals and 3 titles (91 vs 94) behind Ivan Lendl. I think he will catch him, at least in titles and semi finals.
    Roger forever

Halle 2017 = 92
    Wimbledon 2017 = 93

#19 at SW19

5th title in 2017

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I mean... maybe? Not at all hard to see him reaching 95 this year, with the competition largely hobbled.

Lendl only one win away.
    Change my vote from NO to YES. He has said he wants to play two more years. 1 more this year and 3 + 3, sure, he can do it.
    Starry starry night

Still no. I'm not convinced he'll play another 2 years, and even if he does, I still say no. He's basically only playing the biggest tournaments now. Halle and Basel are the only smaller tournaments he's likely to play.

I also think his incredible success this year makes him less likely to keep playing, not more.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I also think his incredible success this year makes him less likely to keep playing, not more.
    I don't follow. I feel like if he thinks he has a decent shot at winning a major in a given year, he'll keep going. Next significant injury, or crappy year, sure. But if he's healthy and making semis or better? What's not to love? He clearly lives for it, as I saw right after today's match.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

There was a thread at menstennisforums.com few years ago about Roger named "The greatest quest of all time - 20 Slams and 100 titles". Looked a bit ridiculous at the time, but now I'd say it's better than 50/50. Amazing really...
    Roger forever

I don't know whether he really cares about 100 titles, but if he does this record is almost in the bag now.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I don't know whether he really cares about 100 titles, but if he does this record is almost in the bag now.
    I think the closer he gets, the more likely he is to care. When you are this close, it is just one more piece of motivation (as if he needs any) to keep at it - and I think Mirka would encourage him to go for the record.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

You don't win 19 slams without some intrinsic desire to play this stuff. There is no way we can understand that sort of motivation. He is not doing this for money, he is not doing this for fame, he does not do this for some sort of challenge. Him, Rafa and Novak play this stuff because they crave it. They really love being on a court and the whole pressure thing.
    And the three of them will only hang the racket when a whole bunch of other people will beat them regularly. Which will not happen anytime soon.
    Starry starry night

YES. Only 7 titles to go and he's raging hot on tour right now.
    2017 Australian Open Final - Roger Federer def Rafael Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3
    "I leveled up."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast