Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

15 55.56%
  • Yes

12 44.44%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Can Roger Federer reach 100 titles?

The true storybook ending would be winning Olympic gold and then dropping the mic and walking out

EHHH, pfffffft.

While of course I'd love a scenario where Rog goes out on a high and all, and while I'd selfishly not enjoy Rog ending his career as Edberg, Lendl, McEnroe and so many have done....I still am of the school that, especially when one has achieved as much as Roger, Rafa, Novak, & the Sisters have done, they can do whatever the heck they want. Play just for the fun of it, and rake in tons of more bucks? Their call.

(AND 100 tournament wins or not? Not invested in that in the slightest.)
    Last edited by nelslus; 07-03-2016 at 01:05 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Their call? Obviously it is, but we are all fans here and can imagine what we would advise if we were close to them and asked. Total fantasy of course, but so what?

Just wanted to say that no need to take all this discussion too seriously. Roger in particular is in the very last stage of his career. I'll be glad if his wins this tournament, but I certainly don't expect it like I might have 5-6 years ago.
    Roger forever

Bump for #89
    It was a big one!

I think there is an outside possibility. 11 more titles is not an impossible task, but unlikely.
    2017 Australian Open Final - Roger Federer def Rafael Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3
    "I leveled up."

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    EHHH, pfffffft.

While of course I'd love a scenario where Rog goes out on a high and all, and while I'd selfishly not enjoy Rog ending his career as Edberg, Lendl, McEnroe and so many have done....I still am of the school that, especially when one has achieved as much as Roger, Rafa, Novak, & the Sisters have done, they can do whatever the heck they want. Play just for the fun of it, and rake in tons of more bucks? Their call.

(AND 100 tournament wins or not? Not invested in that in the slightest.)
    He won the 2017 Aussie and 2012 Wimbledon. I still don't care about 100 titles.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

It would cheapen Fed's legacy if he started playing Challengers in a year or two to bump up the number of titles. I doubt he'd do that. But he could pass Lendl legitimately, which would put him to the top in my book [Jimbo's numbers are arguably inflated and perhaps not even wholly substantiated - the records from the early days of the Open era are spotty, with competing tours well before the age of the ATP].
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

KNOCK KNOCK!

Poll still open.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    He won the 2017 Aussie and 2012 Wimbledon. I still don't care about 100 titles.
    .....WELL, until there's an I Don't Care Option.....

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sirfredperry View Post
    Not going to do it but 90 would still be good. (Incredible, in fact).
    Done and done.

If FedEx 2.0 doesn't need a reboot over the next 24 months he might make 100 after all. If not, the Roger is Washed Up thread will see new life.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

2 Years?
    Is that all you give him? I'll give him 3
    2020 Olympics is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post
    2 Years?
    Is that all you give him? I'll give him 3
    2020 Olympics is just around the corner.

I think he can if he plays 3 more years. I think if he gets close, he'll shoot for it. Maybe he'll start entering Newport. Poor Rajeev Ram!

He could win three or four more this year. A title on grass, #8 in Cincinnati, maybe Basel, maybe the World Tour Finals if he's healthy.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

"If he plays 3 more years" and "if he's healthy at the WTF" reminds me of my grandmother telling me how she's going to remodel her house once she wins the Publisher's Clearing House.

Federer is exploding out of the blocks after a 6 months rest. This isn't a pace he can keep up for years. He's also already past normal retirement age, and gave some thought to retiring after his AO win. If he's playing in 2019, he's not winning 3 or 4 titles, he's playing mostly doubles and accepting a singles WC into Wimbledon ala Navratilova.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast