Agree Agree:  9
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Skating

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Ice Skating

Does anyone follow the Ice Skating Grand Prix season? Skate Canada is in progress now and will be on TV this afternoon, Pairs and Dance Long Programs. It's on CH 625 on my DirecTV = check your own channel guides

Re: Ice Skating

Some of us do Kandi! Thanks for the heads up.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Yes, watching Skate Canada now. Also planning a trip to the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships in Boston - tickets go on sale on Monday.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Yes, watching Skate Canada now. Also planning a trip to the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships in Boston - tickets go on sale on Monday.
    HOW FUN skatingfan - will look forward to your reports from Boston!

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Sad that I missed Skate America - I'm usually on top of them all but this year it just got lost in life's shuffle.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

LINK to US TV Broadcasting schedule 2014-2015 season:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=50559&type=media

I just got around to watching the men's free skate from Skate America. The Canadian Nam Nguyen skated one of the most beautiful programs I've ever seen. Of course Tatsuki Machida with a 93 in the short program also skated a near perfect free skate and won the event. Jason Brown, the home town boy, got the silver on his presentation not his technical work. I thought Nguyen skated better than Brown but it is what it is.

I think Frida has uploaded most of Skate America on YouTube.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Ti, skating fans in Canada have been watching the rise of Nguyen for some years now. He was invited to skate at the gala of the Vancouver Olympics at age 11 - he is originally from British Columbia, won the Canadian Junior title in 2012, and last year the world junior title. He also skated a foot perfect free skate at last year's Senior World Championships.

The other thing that is starting to get the attention of skating fans in Canada is a bit of a coincidence that has occurred over the past couple of Olympics.
    Yu-Na Kim - 2006 World Junior Champion, Coached by Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club - 2010 Olympic Champion
    Yuzuru Hanyu - 2010 World Junior Champion, Coached by Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club - 2014 Olympic Champion
    Nam Nguyen - 2014 World Junior Champion, Coached By Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club
    Orser, for someone who finished with two Olympic Silver Medals, has done pretty well since getting into the coaching gig less than 10 years ago.

https://worlds2016.com/tickets/

Here is the link for anyone else who might be interested in tickets for the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships. Tickets for the event in Boston are considerably cheaper than what I payed to attend the event in London, Ontario in 2013. The best value tickets are the upper level tickets behind the judges platform which are listed between $250 to $350 for the week of skating.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Ti, skating fans in Canada have been watching the rise of Nguyen for some years now. He was invited to skate at the gala of the Vancouver Olympics at age 11 - he is originally from British Columbia, won the Canadian Junior title in 2012, and last year the world junior title. He also skated a foot perfect free skate at last year's Senior World Championships.

The other thing that is starting to get the attention of skating fans in Canada is a bit of a coincidence that has occurred over the past couple of Olympics.
    Yu-Na Kim - 2006 World Junior Champion, Coached by Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club - 2010 Olympic Champion
    Yuzuru Hanyu - 2010 World Junior Champion, Coached by Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club - 2014 Olympic Champion
    Nam Nguyen - 2014 World Junior Champion, Coached By Brian Orser at the Toronto Cricket Club
    Orser, for someone who finished with two Olympic Silver Medals, has done pretty well since getting into the coaching gig less than 10 years ago.
    Thanks for the background on Nguyen.

I think it can be argued that Kim Yu-Na declined after leaving Orser.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Brian Orser was always one of my fave skaters, very happy for his continued coaching success.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

I just watched the video of Nam Nguyen - apparently from the World Jrs - WOW. Spectacular - and did somebody say he is only 15 yrs old yet?

Here's his long program for Skate America 2014 in case you missed it Kandi!

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Thanks so much for the utube, Ti -- LOVED it!

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

This morning the Cup of China was broadcast on Universal Sports - the Ladies and Men's SP - surprised to see Nam Nguyen at the bottom of the list for the Men's SP, hope he can raise his placement in the Free Skate.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast