Agree Agree:  9
Likes Likes:  33
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Skating

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Ice Skating

Holy crap. That was sick good.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

That was really good.

There's also a first-time Spanish world champion for men, Javier Fernandez. I only watched the men's free skate. Almost all of them messed up something or other.

It wasnt' the greatest world championships this year - a lot of messy skating - I think that often happens in the post Olympic year - it should build from now to Pyongyang in 2018.

The other note worthy performance in this event for me was the free skate of the new World Ice Dance Champions from France.

That was beautiful.

Of course I was out Saturday and since I thought they were showing it today I didn't DVR it. Sigh. Ice network it is. I haven't been in this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Going to add two more to the must watch list.
    Javier Fernandez's short program.
    Last edited by skatingfan; 03-29-2015 at 08:38 PM.

and the free skate - love his reaction.

Though I've been involved in skating pretty much since I was able to walk, I haven't really posted much about it here. Anyway, I did want to post something about a very dear friend. I also mentioned this on the "random-random" thread because of something else that came up:

Sonia Bianchetti-Garbato found out just last evening that her nomination for the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame was successful and she is to be inducted this year. From the standpoint of recently active skaters, others in this year's "class" of inductees include Artur Dmitriev and the 2 women with which he won the Olympics. Anyway, Sonia was the first woman on the ISU Council and also was for many years the chairman of the ISU Technical Committee which oversees the technical standards of the sport and everything to do with judging. During her tenure many things happened......compulsory figures were phased out of competition. Also the technical standards for evaluating almost all the moves we see in free skating were established. She worked VERY hard, often totally in vain, to rid the judging process of the unethical behavior for which it is justifiably infamous. She was pushed out of the ISU in a coup by the crook who still runs the ISU, Ottavio Cinquanta. For many years, solely because of Cinquanta, she has not been given nearly the due she deserves for the service she gave to that group....not only her expertise but also the many thousands of hours and likely a ton of her own money. I am immensely pleased that she is finally getting this richly deserved honor.

By the way, I was one of the group of 5 who nominated her for the HOF this year. A smaller version of this group nominated her last year unsuccessfully. Even though Sonia is 80 years old, she is in wonderful health. I am so glad we were successful in getting her into the HOF while she can still enjoy the award and while many people will still be able to thank her and recognize her contributions.

GH

Wow, that's a cool story. I don't really know much about figure skating, but it's interesting to see what varied interests others on this board have.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Glenn, is there any discipline/area of interest out there you have not excelled at?

Congratulations to your friend!

mmmm8, Many thanks for the compliment. I could give you a long list of things at which I have not excelled. A few examples: I am amazingly challenged in computer technology. Thankfully, my partner is retired from a 32-year career in computer technology and helps me a lot, but he is still constantly amazed at the things I need help with. And team sports (not counting tennis doubles).....never was good at them, never liked them, and still pay them very little attention, though I do find the NCAA's March Madness to be interesting. I could go on. But thanks again for the compliment. I have really enjoyed being very deeply involved in the things I have enjoyed most.
    GH

A couple notable performances at NHK this weekend. First, the kid, Jin Boyang of China. The opening combination of this program is quadruple-lutz + triple-toe loop. It is the most difficult jump combination ever executed by any skater ever and he is just the second skater to land the quadruple lutz but by far the best quality.

Secondly, Yuzuru Hanyu shattered the World Record for scores in Short Program, Free Skate, and Total Score. His short program:

And his free skate:

Thanks for posting the videos here. I haven't seen any skating so far this year.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast