Awards Showcase

Re: UPDATED Men's USOSP Picks & Results Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FEBravo View Post
    With three people missing, it seems we have:

17 Raonic
    17 Wawrinka
    10 Murray
    3 Nishikori

Which means we could be down to 3 if Tsonga, Robredo and Nishikori all win, which is actually quite possible. wow.
    4 are missing at the moment. One who picked was already out.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Day 8 breakdown:

16 Raonic
    vs
    3 Nishikori

17 Wawinka

10 Murray
    vs
    1 Tsonga

1 Djokovic

48 (2 no-picks)

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    4 are missing at the moment. One who picked was already out.
    Hence why I should stick to my day job

Can't believe it's a 10-1 split for Murray over Tsonga.

16-3 is too high a split for Raonic over Nishikori too ... unless he injures himself on the way to court which is not out of the question.

Interesting to see who Jmcguire will pick next (the Djokovic picker!)
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 09-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Down to 50 with the potential of a lot of bloodshed!

16 Raonic vs 3 Nishikori: first off, this is one of the ways to beat the draw unless you think Wawrinka loses to one of these guys (not out of the question). Now for the specifics: last match was won by Milos but that was on grass. Kei leads 2-1 with clay and hardcourt wins. Milos has had a great summer, yet Kei has been winning all his matches with ease breaking at will (granted that none of his opponents had Raonic's serve). The beef of the issue winds down to if Kei can break Milos -whose return game is much weaker. I'm surprised by the lopsidedness of the split. I went with Nishikori hoping for the best.

17 Wawinka: the "safe" pick (even though his H2H with Robredo is negative). One wonders what card these will play next round.

10 Murray vs 1 Tsonga: another surprising split. Given both player's form, I thought more would incline towards Tsonga (I would've). Still, this match was foreseeable since the beginning and worth avoiding.

1 Djokovic: somebody's a Fed fan!

2 didn't make it, which is surprising given the moment of the game we're at.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    17 Wawinka: the "safe" pick (even though his H2H with Robredo is negative). One wonders what card these will play next round.
    I've been picking Raonic to make the semis since the draw came out. An interview he gave about being pissed/motivated from losing the Wimbledon semis convinced me he's determined to do well.

I've also been underestimating Wawrinka all year and didn't actually expect him to make it this far. I'm nervous about his match and I'm fairly shocked no one gambled on Robredo.

If I make it through with Stan but Nishikori wins I'll have to sacrifice a goat or do some rain dances or something.

Anyone know if the QFs are split or combined (one or two SP picks) here?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I've been picking Raonic to make the semis since the draw came out. An interview he gave about being pissed/motivated from losing the Wimbledon semis convinced me he's determined to do well.

I've also been underestimating Wawrinka all year and didn't actually expect him to make it this far. I'm nervous about his match and I'm fairly shocked no one gambled on Robredo.

If I make it through with Stan but Nishikori wins I'll have to sacrifice a goat or do some rain dances or something.

Anyone know if the QFs are split or combined (one or two SP picks) here?
    They're split. Hence today's importance and the Ferrer debacle.

Every time I see there's a few who forgot to pick (I have done that before when I thought I had), I panic and think it's me. Whew.

They're split. Hence today's importance and the Ferrer debacle.
    Ah. Well I predicted Raonic and Cilic to be the losing semifinalists and I've saved them, so I have a path if everything falls exactly right (which ALWAYS happens, as we all know from years of totally not tearing our hair out playing this contest).

10 Murray vs 1 Tsonga: another surprising split. Given both player's form, I thought more would incline towards Tsonga (I would've). Still, this match was foreseeable since the beginning and worth avoiding.
    I didn't have the guts to to touch this match, but I would probably went with Murray too

Ah. Well I predicted Raonic and Cilic to be the losing semifinalists and I've saved them, so I have a path if everything falls exactly right (which ALWAYS happens, as we all know from years of totally not tearing our hair out playing this contest).
    I already feel fulfilled by saving Berdych speculating on a Thiem/Lopez upset. Too bad that I probably won't reap the benefits.

Where people underestimate him the most is his serve. I would have beaten the draw at Wimbledon if I had picked him to beat Lopez instead of the other way around. I thought Lopez would have an easier time holding his serve and realized pretty quickly that Lopez NEVER was going to break Wawrinka's serve.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Murray was THE pick for today (unless he beats Novak). Poopie doodles.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sokoll View Post
    I didn't have the guts to to touch this match, but I would probably went with Murray too
    Ughhh, I should have picked Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Murray was THE pick for today (unless he beats Novak). Poopie doodles.
    Hindsight's 20/20. His previous form didn't foretell the barrage that he'd unleash today.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast