Blog Entries

Re: Cumulative Scores AFTER Luxembourg

Well, I suck!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus
    Well, I suck!
    Well, if you suck, then I double suck!
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

Happy!
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus
    Well, I suck!
    ditto! Remind me again why we chose Luxemburg as a tournament when the player on my team (Daniilidou) goes on and wins Seoul this week. [smiley=wall.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie
    Happy!

Well done Oplos !

Nice going, oploskoffie.

Never would have thought I'd still have a top 5 spot after this week. But then I suppose not too many people went for the Bondarenko-Schiavone-Peschke trifecta.
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

way to go, oplo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447
    [quote author=Kirkus link=1159719216/0#1 date=1159724989]Well, I suck!
    [/quote]

I would like to point out that you both have twice as many points as I do. I suppose that would mean I quadruple suck? Or maybe I suck to the fourth power? Anyway, my players are actually doing quite well, just not in the specific tournaments designated for this game.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123
    [quote author=Sebastien447 link=1159719216/0#2 date=1159726043][quote author=Kirkus link=1159719216/0#1 date=1159724989]Well, I suck!
    [/quote]

I would like to point out that you both have twice as many points as I do. I suppose that would mean I quadruple suck? Or maybe I suck to the fourth power? Anyway, my players are actually doing quite well, just not in the specific tournaments designated for this game.[/quote]

Actually, Charlie, that's something I'm thinking about for the next time we do a women's fantasy tournament. When I played the fantasy game at the WTA site, you got points, regardless of where your team played. Sure, you got more points when they played the bigger events, but at least your players got points.

Now, THAT would be MUCH more difficult to score, and it would be really easy to make mistakes. Hell, kirkus and I routinely caught each others' msitakes under this more simplified system. But I think that would be a lot more fun--to be able to pick a team and earn points regardless of where they play. That way, you don't find yourself digging through six tournament web sites looking for entry lists.

And other than Peschke and Alona Bondarenko, the lower category players are doing anyone much good--to this point. That would change if it expanded to additional, lower-tier events. Take Vaidisova last fall, for example. She won three events, none of which would have been included in our current MAM format.

Anyway, I've been thinking about that. But I've done this enough to know that would be A LOT of additional work, and I'm not sure I really want to go there.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy
    [quote author=Charlie02123 link=1159719216/0#8 date=1159844480][quote author=Sebastien447 link=1159719216/0#2 date=1159726043][quote author=Kirkus link=1159719216/0#1 date=1159724989]Well, I suck!
    [/quote]

I would like to point out that you both have twice as many points as I do. I suppose that would mean I quadruple suck? Or maybe I suck to the fourth power? Anyway, my players are actually doing quite well, just not in the specific tournaments designated for this game.[/quote]

Actually, Charlie, that's something I'm thinking about for the next time we do a women's fantasy tournament. When I played the fantasy game at the WTA site, you got points, regardless of where your team played. Sure, you got more points when they played the bigger events, but at least your players got points.

Now, THAT would be MUCH more difficult to score, and it would be really easy to make mistakes. Hell, kirkus and I routinely caught each others' msitakes under this more simplified system. But I think that would be a lot more fun--to be able to pick a team and earn points regardless of where they play. That way, you don't find yourself digging through six tournament web sites looking for entry lists.

And other than Peschke and Alona Bondarenko, the lower category players are doing anyone much good--to this point. That would change if it expanded to additional, lower-tier events. Take Vaidisova last fall, for example. She won three events, none of which would have been included in our current MAM format.

Anyway, I've been thinking about that. But I've done this enough to know that would be A LOT of additional work, and I'm not sure I really want to go there.

Dry[/quote]

I think that while including all the tournaments would make the game a lot easier to the players, it would be too easy. Half the fun is in chosing the right team for the 6 very different tournaments. You take away the strategic part, and you just end up having to choose any 12 players that have been doing well. I think you should keep things as they are and keep the difficulty level up while also not increasing the work level for yourself.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Good point, mmmm8. Everyone else, please feel free to weigh in on this.

I do think, however, that there would still be some strategy involved. For example, do you pick a player who is sticking to lower tier events (e.g., Vaidisova last year) thinking they're guaranteed to make a good showing? Or do you go with a more established player scheduled to play in a bigger tournaments who's capable of a big score, but could also lose early? There are two ways to look at that.

In addition, while I haven't really been nailed by it yet, I've seen some participants get nailed by untimely player injuries. Maybe that's just part of the game. But maybe if other players on the roster in other events could help stop the bleeding, then it wouldn't be such a death knell...

Seriously, I strongly urge discussion about this topic, because if it turns out that no one really wants a more expansive format (and I'm talking solely about the WTA fantasy tournaments at this point, because I'm in no position to commit kirkus to more work on the men's fantasy tournaments), then I don't have to worry about whether I have the time for it or not!!!

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I see pros and cons on both sides of this fence.

As with other fantasy sports, specific games or matches aren't considered as much as in this fantasy tennis format. But at the same time, this makes it unique. My format was based very closely on the ATPs fantasy tennis that I used to play. I slimmed it down a little to make it more manageable to score without the assistance of fancy-schmancy programs.

I'll tell you, I only scored 2 of these things and it took a pretty big chunk out of my Sunday afternoons. I'm not complaining... I actually enjoyed it. But I can see how branching out on the format like that could easily lead to burn out.

I'll think about it and maybe try and come up with a way to automate the scoring process to keep it manageable. I'm probably just going to stick with 2 ATP tournaments a year, between the AO & French and between Wimby and the USO. But maybe one of those could include this suggested revisions.

It'd be great to see other's thoughts on this.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

If the lower pointed players are not getting into the tournaments we are getting points from (which is definitely the case with my choices) then why have them there at all?

Let us pick more higher ranked players, still with restrictions on points, and the same amount of tournaments.

This actually makes the picks harder 'cos the draws would make a huge difference, the work of tallying points is the same, but the challenge of harder.

Just an idea!

Hi

This is the first time I am participating in this type of contest. I picked my team based on getting the most players in the Beijing main draw. I thought that was a good strategy, as I'm in a reasonable position in the standings, though, I had no top players in Luxembourg and SCORED 0. I like the way this is set-up. Not too complicated for me and sounds as if it is reasonable to score (though not easy --THANKS Dry).
    By not substituting anyone, I still have options after the Stuttgart tournament. And a strong player contingent in Germany. So I think that this is both easier on getting a team together, and limited substitutions makes it less of a hassle worrying each week about your team.

Jerry
    World Series or Bust!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast