Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  68
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 2014 NFL Thread

Re: 2014 NFL Thread

Tom Brady will be suspended by Roger Goodell for role in DeflateGate, announcement expected next week

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Friday, May 8, 2015, 5:42 PM Updated: Friday, May 8, 2015, 11:24 PM

Tom Brady will be the highest-profile player ever suspended in the 96-year history of the NFL.

Roger Goodell’s decision is expected to be announced next week, and it is no longer a matter of if the NFL commissioner will suspend Brady, but for how long he will suspend him.

In conversations I’ve had with several key sources who always have a good sense of what goes on at 345 Park Ave., there is little doubt that Goodell considers Brady’s role in DeflateGate a serious violation.

The NFL is convinced, according to sources, that connecting all the dots of the evidence supplied by Ted Wells leads to one conclusion:

Brady cheated.

The feeling is that the Wells Report supplied Goodell with enough ammunition to suspend Brady both for breaking the rules by ordering the deflation of footballs and by not cooperating with the investigation when he refused to turn over his cell phone to Wells’ investigators.

The only question now is how many games with which Goodell will hit the league’s star player.

(...)

The Miami Herald reported Brady’s suspension could be as much as the entire 2015 season. Sources insist that is way off and not going to happen. There were reports in Boston on Friday on CSNNE that the Patriots fear Goodell could hit Brady with a six- to eight-game suspension. Others have estimated two to four games.

Brady will not likely be the only one disciplined in DeflateGate. The Patriots could be fined, just as they were for SpyGate in 2007, when Goodell fined them $250,000 and took away a first-round draft pick. Bill Belichick, who was hit with a $500,000 fine for running his spying operation, is not likely to face sanctions because the Wells Report did not link him to the deflating of the footballs.

Clearly, any games Brady misses reduces the chances Belichick and the Patriots have of repeating as Super Bowl champions.

Second-year backup Jimmy Garoppolo better start warming up in the bullpen. But even if the Pats are without Brady for more than a few games, Belichick is very resourceful.

(...)

Considering how soft Goodell was in originally giving Ray Rice just a two-game suspension for slugging his future wife in an elevator — there were enough details about what happened for a stiffer suspension even before the second elevator video surfaced — how can Goodell possibly justify giving Brady six to eight games?

This is not the outcome the NFL wanted out of the long investigation by Wells. Brady and Peyton Manning together have been the faces of the league for more than a decade, and this is not at all like Goodell having to suspend miscreants such as Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy for various degrees of domestic violence. This is Brady, a four-time Super Bowl champion, three-time Super Bowl MVP, husband to the world’s most famous supermodel and, at least to this point, everything Goodell wanted representing the NFL shield.

Meanwhile, sources say NFL owners are watching closely how Goodell deals not only with Brady but with the Patriots as well.

Wells’ constant use of “more probable than not” in explaining Brady’s role is the standard the NFL was looking for to find him in violation of the rules. The league considers that as good as guilty and just a way of phrasing it in legal terms.

Two days ago, former Bills, Panthers and Colts GM Bill Polian, a former member of the competition committee, said on ESPN that the phrase “is the standard of proof that the NFL has used for about seven years or so that means in English: they’re guilty. . . . This is not running through a stop sign, this is not speeding five miles over the limit. This is a serious competitive violation that has to be treated as such by the league.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2215881
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Warning: Much of the innuendo here is... colorful.

NFL Suspends Tom Brady For 4 Games Over 'Deflategate' Scandal
    MAY 11, 2015 5:56 PM ET

Bill Chappell

Days after a lengthy report found it was "more probable than not" that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady knew of rule-breaking, the NFL has issued its punishment: a four-game suspension for Brady and a $1 million fine for the Patriots.

The team will also lose its first-round pick in next year's draft, along with a fourth-round pick in 2017, over the incident known as "Deflategate," in which Brady was accused of using under-inflated footballs during last season's AFC championship game. The Patriots won that game handily and went on to win the Super Bowl.

News of Brady's suspension follows the release Wednesday of a 243-page report that was commissioned by the NFL. It cited evidence from scientific studies to phone records and concluded that "it is more probable than not that New England Patriots personnel ... were involved in a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules."

Brady and Patriots coach Bill Belichick have denied knowing anything about how the team's footballs are prepared for games. But today, the NFL said the Patriots had violated the league's policy on integrity and its rules of the game. It also faulted the Patriots organization for not cooperating with the inquiry.

The Patriots won the AFC title game by the lopsided score of 45-7, beating the Indianapolis Colts so handily that some have said that a few pounds of air pressure couldn't have been the difference. But critics also note that the Patriots beat the Baltimore Ravens by only four points in the previous week and today, Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president for football operations, said the margin of victory isn't the issue:

"It is impossible to determine whether this activity had an effect on the outcome of games or what that effect was. There seems little question that the outcome of the AFC Championship Game was not affected. But this has never been a significant factor in assessing discipline. There are many factors which affect the outcome of a game. It is an inherently speculative exercise to try to assign specific weight to any one factor. The key consideration in any case like this is that the playing rules exist for a reason, and all clubs are entitled to expect that the playing rules will be followed by participating teams. Violations that diminish the league's reputation for integrity and fair play cannot be excused simply because the precise impact on the final score cannot be determined."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...m_term=nprnews
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Is four games long enough? Seems 12 games with Brady would probably be enough next year for New England to still make playoffs...and their first round picks are always late so seems like they got off pretty easy. Seems like a pretty decent trade considering they got a Super Bowl trophy...nothing that is going to stop them from doing whatever they want to get a competitive advantage next time.

This post is coming from someone who is NOT AT ALL a fan of football, least of all pro football. But I have spent most of my life involved with a sport that is too corrupt for words, figure skating. One thing I have learned from figure skating is that punishments that are merely a slap on the wrist will not solve anything. For being found guilty of fixing the pairs' event at World's in 1999, several judges were suspended for nine months, almost all of which was served in the OFF season, with all of them eligible to judge the very next World Championship. And don't even get me started on the weak penalties given for fixing the 2002 Olympics.

Now being almost totally disenchanted with skating due to the sports' unwillingness to even try to fix itself, I am a huge proponent of penalties for cheating being commensurate with the crime and then some, in an effort to make people avoid doing similar things in the future.

So, as a total non-fan of the sport of football, my opinion is that the minimum penalty should include: 1. Forfeiture of the game affected by the intentional cheating and any games played subsequent to that in the playoff series (despite the fact that this means, in this case, also forfeiting the Super Bowl). 2. A minimum of one full season of ineligibility, without pay, for the persons involved. (to be honest, I think one full season sounds too light)

This is a penalty that would get people's attention the next time they thought of cheating. Skating has allowed cheating to become totally the norm. I expected more of that sport, and of sports in general.

I don't doubt that people who actually follow football will see all sorts of things wrong, likely justifiably wrong, with my recommended penalties. But from the outside, the penalties he received seem ludicrous.

GH

So, as a total non-fan of the sport of football, my opinion is that the minimum penalty should include: 1. Forfeiture of the game affected by the intentional cheating and any games played subsequent to that in the playoff series (despite the fact that this means, in this case, also forfeiting the Super Bowl). 2. A minimum of one full season of ineligibility, without pay, for the persons involved. (to be honest, I think one full season sounds too light)
    This is what should be done but the NFL will never do it. The phrase I keep hearing is that Brady is the "face of the NFL" and it's being said by respected reporters. Can you imagine what would happen if they reversed the result of the Super Bowl?

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

The problem was that they didn't cheat in the Super Bowl, they cheated before that...so what could you do...replay the playoffs from when the NFL said it happened? Reversal of games can't happen obviously...but unless they get a serious penalty they won't be deterred in the least. Sean Payton got suspended for a year (and New Orleans had a bad year as a result...) seems this could've easily been a year suspension as well.

They can put a huge asterisk next to SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS. And they could take their Lombardi trophy away (the physical one).
    As you say, they can't replay the play offs. But they can Mark McGuire- them (sorry, Tom and Bill, you will not be inducted in the HOF).
    Disclaimer: I don't like the Patriots. But I don't hate them either. I just dislike cheating.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Disclaimer..I DO hate them..but not for brady and belichick...it's from before them and they were terrible for a few years. In halifax we'd only get to see two or three games a week and since they were closest team it was always them even though their games were usually meaningless.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617