Blog Entries

2014 NFL Thread

Oh Johnny... er, Mr. Football.

Another Ryan Leaf?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: 2014 NFL Thread

Little early for that yet! More likely if he flames out it will be closer to Tim Tebow.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yeah. I think Tebow was shafted by the league. No one gave him a fair chance.

He was under Belichick for a while. The man knows football and if he had seen any way in which Tebow could have helped, he would have stayed with the Pats.
    I actually think he was given enough opportunities. But I admit the Broncos released him too soon.
    Starry starry night

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

ESPN says it regrets Michael Sam shower report that drew criticism

After it found itself at the epicenter of a storm of criticism over a report on the shower habits of Michael Sam, the first openly gay player on an NFL roster, and his teammates, ESPN responded Wednesday morning with a further statement on the report.

“ESPN regrets the manner in which we presented our report. Clearly yesterday we collectively failed to meet the standards we have set in reporting on LGBT-related topics in sports.”

On Tuesday, while providing an update about Sam’s quest to make the St. Louis Rams’ final roster, reporter Josina Anderson said that a Rams “defensive player told me that ‘Sam is respecting our space’ and that, from his perspective, he seems to think that Michael Sam is waiting to take a shower, as not to make his teammates feel uncomfortable.”

She also said that [defensive end Kendall] Langford and linebacker Alec Ogletree said “they didn’t know that, specifically, and also weren’t tracking that.”

The report instantly drew fire on social media and, by late afternoon, Rams defensive lineman Chris Long had tweeted simply:

Chris Long ✔ @JOEL9ONE
    Follow
    Dear ESPN,

Everyone but you is over it.
    3:14 PM - 26 Aug 2014
    In its initial response to the firestorm, ESPN responded Tuesday: “In response to recent questions about Sam fitting in with the team, multiple Rams brought up the shower topic and we relayed that information as part of our reporting.” Clearly, it felt it was necessary to walk that back Wednesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rew-criticism/
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You would think that someone who no doubt has experienced what it is like to be a social and cultural minority working in a traditionally white male-dominated sports media industry and has probably experienced some level of sexism and elevated levels of professional scrutiny would have known better than to go there.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think 1/3 of the fans at Cowboys stadium yesterday were 49ers fans. I saw red everywhere. Not just the end zones.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

We noticed that too. What does it say that that many seats were available for the opponent's fans in the first place?

(I really can't talk about it. My blood pressure went up just thinking about the Cowboys just now. )

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cowboys were so bad. They have an offensive line that can open running lanes, but the second they got behind, they panicked and went to the air. Contrast that with the Eagles, who stuck to their game plan down 17-0 and easily made up that deficit and more. There is such a complete lack of competence on so many levels. And Romo's velocity is way down after that back surgery and I'm not sure it's coming back. He's well into his 30's.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ray Rice is no longer a Baltimore Raven. The organization has terminated his contract.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Ray Rice is no longer a Baltimore Raven. The organization has terminated his contract.
    I like when the organization takes action. Why wait for Goodell to act.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

After the latest video they had no choice...kind of like a Donald Sterling scenario. But it just shows how laughable it was that he only got 2 games, especially compared to some other longer suspensions for much less important issues.

As in most situations the cover up is what's causing outrage. If, as the Deadspin article in the "Other Sports" thread is to be believed the NFL knew about and had seen the tape. Trying to say today was the first time they'd seen it because law enforcement wouldn't turn it over is totally unbelieveable.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    As in most situations the cover up is what's causing outrage. If, as the Deadspin article in the "Other Sports" thread is to be believed the NFL knew about and had seen the tape. Trying to say today was the first time they'd seen it because law enforcement wouldn't turn it over is totally unbelieveable.
    TMZ Sports (which released the initial video) says that it will release proof tomorrow (Tuesday) that the NFL knew about the just released video, and chose to turn a blind eye to it. If true, Goddell has to lose his job, I'd think.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    TMZ Sports (which released the initial video) says that it will release proof tomorrow (Tuesday) that the NFL knew about the just released video, and chose to turn a blind eye to it. If true, Goddell has to lose his job, I'd think.
    Indeed. One thing is incompetence or not realizing the importance of this. Another is lying.
    Starry starry night

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast