Likes Likes:  68
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Thread

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: 2014 NFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    TMZ Sports (which released the initial video) says that it will release proof tomorrow (Tuesday) that the NFL knew about the just released video, and chose to turn a blind eye to it. If true, Goddell has to lose his job, I'd think.
    If there's proof, he absolutely has to go.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

After sleeping on this Ray Rice domestic violence thing and thinking a little more about it, I'm bothered by a few things. It bothers me that Janay Rice has come to her husband's defense. I mean isn't that a symptom of battered wife syndrome? Obviously none of us knows what their relationship is like. But to know what he did to her, at least this one time, and to hear her defend him just baffles my mind.

It also bothers me that he's not in jail? Why aren't the police involved? Was he ever arrested or even interviewed by the police when this happened earlier this year?

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    It also bothers me that he's not in jail? Why aren't the police involved? Was he ever arrested or even interviewed by the police when this happened earlier this year?
    He was arrested, and charged with assault. It seems he was allowed to enter a "diversion" program under NJ law, where if he behaves for a full year, the charges are dropped, and his record is cleared.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

He was arrested, and charged with assault. It seems he was allowed to enter a "diversion" program under NJ law, where if he behaves for a full year, the charges are dropped, and his record is cleared.
    Of course. I did know that. Thanks, Moose.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti: 'We were wrong' on Ray Rice investigation

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said Tuesday the team "let you down" in its investigation of former running back Ray Rice's domestic violence abuse against his then-fiancee.

Bisciotti said the Ravens "halted our fact-finding" in March and stopped seeking the video of Rice punching Janay Palmer, now Janay Rice, in an elevator. In May, Ray Rice was allowed to enter a pre-trial diversion program.

"[The video] is violent and horrifying," Bisciotti said in a letter posted to the team website. "I immediately came to the office and called a meeting with Dick Cass, Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh and Kevin Byrne. The meeting was relatively short. The decision to let Ray Rice go was unanimous. Seeing that video changed everything. We should have seen it earlier. We should have pursued our own investigation more vigorously. We didn't and we were wrong."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...otti/15361773/

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti: 'We were wrong' on Ray Rice investigation

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said Tuesday the team "let you down" in its investigation of former running back Ray Rice's domestic violence abuse against his then-fiancee.

Bisciotti said the Ravens "halted our fact-finding" in March and stopped seeking the video of Rice punching Janay Palmer, now Janay Rice, in an elevator. In May, Ray Rice was allowed to enter a pre-trial diversion program.

"[The video] is violent and horrifying," Bisciotti said in a letter posted to the team website. "I immediately came to the office and called a meeting with Dick Cass, Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh and Kevin Byrne. The meeting was relatively short. The decision to let Ray Rice go was unanimous. Seeing that video changed everything. We should have seen it earlier. We should have pursued our own investigation more vigorously. We didn't and we were wrong."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...otti/15361773/
    I have a problem with the idea that the first video of Rice dragging the unconscious body of Janay from the elevator wasn't enough. What did they think happened in the elevator that left her in that condition? Did they think she might have tripped and knocked herself out?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    After sleeping on this Ray Rice domestic violence thing and thinking a little more about it, I'm bothered by a few things. It bothers me that Janay Rice has come to her husband's defense. I mean isn't that a symptom of battered wife syndrome? Obviously none of us knows what their relationship is like. But to know what he did to her, at least this one time, and to hear her defend him just baffles my mind.

Have you been following #WhyIStayed? Many victims of intimate partner violence literally have nowhere to go. No family, no friends,no job, no money, no means of escape. They are under the complete social, fiscal, and emotional control of the abuser. By design.

As for why she may have been unconscious when he dragged her from the elevator, I suppose it is possible that she could have been intoxicated and passed out in the elevator. Now we know that wasn't the case.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

TMZ Sports (which released the initial video) says that it will release proof tomorrow (Tuesday) that the NFL knew about the just released video, and chose to turn a blind eye to it. If true, Goddell has to lose his job, I'd think.
    Have they? It's now Wednesday.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Have they? It's now Wednesday.
    AP: Source says Rice video was sent to NFL 5 months ago. http://6abc.com/sports/ap-source-say...hs-ago/303118/

If that's true, there's no way Roger Goodell can keep his job, right?
    Go Pack Go!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Keith Olbermann is calling for Goddell to be fired. I've never been a fan, but he lays out the timeline, and the facts, incredibly well in this video, and I think makes it pretty clear that within days, Goddell is gone from the Commissioner's chair. The comparison to Goddell tracking down the tape of the Patriots recording opponents hand signals is pretty crushing.

Keith Olbermann overview on Goddell
    Last edited by Moose; 09-10-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones accused of sex assault; attorney denies
    By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, CNN
    updated 3:25 PM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014

(CNN) -- A former exotic dancer has filed a lawsuit against Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, accusing him of sexual assault.

In the suit filed Monday in Dallas County, Jana Weckerly claims that Jones assaulted her in 2009 and that the Dallas Cowboys knew about and covered up the incident.

Weckerly is seeking "monetary relief of over $1,000,000," according to the suit.

Reaction from the Cowboys was swift.

Levi McCathern, an attorney representing the team, called the allegations "completely false" and "a shakedown."

"The legal complaint is unsupported by facts or evidence of any kind," McCathern said in a written statement. "This is nothing more than an attempt to embarrass and extort Jerry Jones."

Read the lawsuit

Weckerly's attorney says his client is in hiding. The suit claims that the 2009 incident caused the 27-year-old to fear for her life.

In the aftermath, the suit says, Weckerly has suffered depression, dealt with substance abuse and has attempted suicide.

The suit is not clear on exactly when the alleged assault occurred, saying it happened "sometime in May or June." But the suit alleges that the owner penetrated Weckerly with his fingers and forced her to touch his genitals without her consent.

McCathern pledged to fight the complaint. He added that law enforcement is now involved "due to the seriousness of these baseless allegations."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/us-...lt-allegation/

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2014 NFL Thread

This reads like a shakedown attempt. I'm no fan of Jerry Jones, but when the photos came out of nowhere a few weeks ago, you knew something like this was coming. And how do you not know when an assault that caused you to suffer damages in excess of a million dollars happened, other than a vague reference to "sometime in May or June"?
    Last edited by Moose; 09-11-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: .

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I agree, Moose. Five years after the alleged incident? Sorry, based on what we've seen so far I don't buy it.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims have two year statute of limitations. So, they are out on those.

You have 5 years to file suit for sexual assault (and presumably since the conspiracy claim relates to the sexual assault, you have 5 years in this case).

Problem is they missed the 5-year deadline. So, they are arguing since Jerry was absent from the state various times through the years, that gives them more time. But, the Cowboys as a corporation was never absent, and as to Jerry, I am not sure absence from the state means going on a trip. I think you have to be absent for a sufficient amount of time. Not sure. But, there are some major problems here.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast