Agree Agree:  118
Likes Likes:  89
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859

Thread: The NBA Thread

Re: The NBA Thread

Adrian Wojnarowski
    ‏Verified account
    @wojespn

After LeBron James publicly endorses trade for Anthony Davis, small market GM's privately seething over NBA's unwillingness to enforce tampering rules. One GM: "It's open season on small markets and our players." Story on ESPN:

An NBA spokesman tells ESPN: “Each case is assessed on its own facts. In general, absent evidence of team coordination or other aggravating factors, it is not tampering when a player makes a comment about his interest in playing with another team’s player.”
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ESPN
    ‏Verified account
    @espn

LeBron showed up to the game with a glass of wine

https://t.co/MA9mY3GXUz
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

About MJ's comment:
    When and where in that clip is LBJ promoting alcoholism TO YOUR YOUTH? He is walking to work, behind cameras, and not doing any promotion.
    A bit overboard, some of the reactions.
    (I never thought I would be defending LBJ. But going bonkers over a grown up millionaire having a glass of wine...)
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    About MJ's comment:
    When and where in that clip is LBJ promoting alcoholism TO YOUR YOUTH? He is walking to work, behind cameras, and not doing any promotion.
    A bit overboard, some of the reactions.
    (I never thought I would be defending LBJ. But going bonkers over a grown up millionaire having a glass of wine...)
    MJ as in Michael Jordan?! I hope not.

The name of the Twitter account is @PettyAirJordan. Pretty sure it is a parody.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterX View Post
    The name of the Twitter account is @PettyAirJordan. Pretty sure it is a parody.
    I don't use Twitter so I completely fell for it.
    Starry starry night

From the "This is no surprise" files:

Jimmy Butler challenging Brett Brown, 76ers' offensive system

Ramona ShelburneAdrian Wojnarowski

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Jimmy Butler has aggressively challenged coach Brett Brown on his role in the offense, complicating an already tenuous chemistry among the team's Big Three hierarchy, league sources told ESPN.

Butler has been vocal in his contesting of Brown and his system, including a recent film session in Portland that some witnesses considered "disrespectful" and beyond normal player-coach discourse.

Brown has told people within the organization that he had no issues with that exchange and considered it within the confines of the relationship that he has developed with Butler, sources said.

While a source close to Butler contends that his intense, direct style can come off as combative as he is trying to make clear his viewpoints, Butler's sluggish assimilation into the Sixers environment is causing some concern about his long-term viability and fit with the organization, league sources said. Nevertheless, the franchise's full focus and resources remain on making this new partnership work this season and beyond.

The Sixers acquired Butler, a four-time All-Star, in a deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves for Robert Covington and Dario Saric in mid-November. The Sixers (25-14), who are currently fourth in the Eastern Conference, are 16-8 since the deal -- 15-6 when Butler plays.

Butler missed Friday's practice with an upper respiratory infection, according to reports. The 76ers host the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday.

Bringing together the complex trio of Butler, Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons was never going to be easy for any coach, and it's already proving a substantial challenge for the Sixers.

Brown, who signed a contract extension in the offseason, remains a popular figure with ownership and management. Around the organization, there's an urgency for Brown and his coaching staff to stabilize the situation, sources said.

Ownership has been committed to making the Big Three of Embiid, Simmons and Butler work, especially with Butler's free agency looming this summer.

Brown had already spent significant time working on the sometimes-tenuous relationship between Simmons and Embiid, and those challenges have been compounded by the urgency to introduce Butler into the Sixers' dynamic.

Butler has expressed a desire to teammates to play in more traditional pick-and-roll and isolation sets, rather than trying to find his place in the Sixers' free-flowing offense, league sources said. In searching for answers, Butler has met privately with Brown and his coaching staff, as well as general manager Elton Brand, league sources told ESPN.

Butler, 29, can become a free agent this summer, and the organization's preference has been to re-sign him to an extension. Rival teams believe Butler will eventually decide to take meetings with interested suitors in July. Butler's preference has been to sign a more lucrative deal to remain with the Sixers, but it's clear that there are issues to be worked out before that comfort level fully exists.

Brown talks often about the challenge of growing his group of young stars together into a championship-level team, in the same way San Antonio (where he'd been assistant on coach Gregg Popovich's staff) did with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

"What's most -- by a mile -- lately, on my mind, is the growth of a team, and the cohesion and the ability to share in somebody else's success," Brown said after Tuesday's victory over the LA Clippers. "The ability to communicate candidly, to coexist. That's all I care about.

"We're coming together. We have a new opportunity. You don't just click your heels and throw Jimmy Butler in and everybody's going to be playing the same way and style. It [doesn't] work like that. So my job is to grow a team. Ben and Jo, Jo and Jimmy, go anywhere you want. Those four are huge. Playing together is what's always, by a long shot, on my mind."

That challenge was evident Tuesday night when Simmons inadvertently elbowed Embiid in the face as both went up for a rebound. Cameras caught Embiid, who suffered a broken orbital bone last season in a collision with teammate Markelle Fultz, expressing frustration with Simmons -- who was close to a triple-double at the time -- for pursuing a rebound that Embiid was positioned well for.

Both players downplayed the incident afterward.

"I felt an elbow on my face, and I kind of freaked out because that's my same face I had surgery on. That's why I lost it," Embiid said. "It's a basketball play. Nothing to talk about."

Said Simmons: "Coach tells me to crash the boards, so I just went to the boards."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...offensive-role

Knicks' Kanter will not travel to London NBA game due to assassination fears
    New York Knicks player is a critic of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
    Kanter’s Turkish passport was revoked in 2017

Enes Kanter has described Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as ‘the Hitler of our century’. Photograph: David Zalubowski/AP

New York Knicks center Enes Kanter will not travel for his team’s upcoming NBA game in London because he believes he could be assassinated for his opposition to the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Kanter announced his decision on Friday night after the Knicks’ 119-112 win over the Los Angeles Lakers. The Knicks later said Kanter also won’t make the trip because of a visa issue. Kanter will stay in New York while the Knicks travel to face Washington at the O2 Arena in London on 17 January. He says he can’t travel anywhere except the US and Canada because “there’s a chance I could get killed out there.”

“Sadly, I’m not going because of that freaking lunatic, the Turkish president,” Kanter said. “It’s pretty sad that all the stuff affects my career and basketball, because I want to be out there and help my team win. But just because of the one lunatic guy, one maniac, one dictator, I can’t even go out there and do my job. It’s pretty sad.”

Kanter has been a vocal critic of Erdoğan for years, once referring to him as “the Hitler of our century”. Kanter’s Turkish passport was revoked in 2017, and an international warrant for his arrest was issued by Turkey. Kanter is a follower of Fethullah Gülen, a US-based Turkish cleric accused by Turkey’s government of masterminding a failed military coup in 2016.

Kanter said it would be “easy” for an attempt on his life to be made in London. “They’ve got a lot of spies there,” he added. “I think I can get killed there easy. It would be a very ugly situation.”

Kanter’s father, Mehmet, was indicted last year and charged with “membership in a terror group.” The former professor lost his job after the failed military coup even though he publicly disavowed his son and his beliefs.

“People often ask me why I continue to speak out if it’s hurting my family,” Kanter wrote in a column for Time magazine last year. “But that’s exactly why I speak out. The people Erdogan is targeting are my family, my friends, my neighbors, my classmates. I need to speak out, or my country will suffer in silence.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...box=1546697636

Adrian Wojnarowski
    ‏Verified account
    @wojespn

Minnesota has fired President and Coach Tom Thibodeau, league source tells ESPN.
    About time.

How do Jimmy Butler look now? Do he wish he would have waited it out in Minnesota considering that he is questioning Brown on his role with Sixers.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Butler is not looking good anywhere right now. Sure, he is one heck of a player, but he is not in the Lebron/Steph/KD/Kawhi category. So he is looking like a bit of a trouble maker.
    Next off season, looking for a contract, who knows how that will affect him. But it will.
    Starry starry night

N.B.A. Said to Review Patrick McCaw’s Deal With Cavaliers

By Marc Stein
    Jan. 8, 2019

The N.B.A. will formally review the Cleveland Cavaliers’ recent signing and near-immediate release of the restricted free agent Patrick McCaw for possible salary cap circumvention, according to a person with knowledge of the league’s stance.

The investigation was requested by the Golden State Warriors, who had held McCaw’s rights, according to the person, who was not authorized to discuss the situation publicly.

In such cases, officials from the Cavaliers and the Warriors, as well as McCaw’s representatives, are typically interviewed before the league office rules whether Cleveland will face punishment.

Signing a player to a nonguaranteed offer sheet is technically not against league rules, nor is waiving him shortly thereafter. But because McCaw lasted only a week in Cleveland before the Cavaliers released him, some around the league have suggested that the move was designed more to help McCaw extricate himself from the Warriors than because of any true interest in the player on Cleveland’s part.

The Cavaliers, though, have expressed interest in re-signing McCaw to a cheaper contract if he clears waivers, according to reports.

Teams and players are forbidden from making “unauthorized agreements” based on deals that are “expressed or implied, oral or written” or include “promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind” with respect to a player contract. N.B.A. rules allow for a wide array of penalties in circumvention matters, which at the most extreme can include fines as high as $3 million to $6 million or the loss of draft picks.

A contract impasse with the Warriors kept McCaw on the sidelines this season until Dec. 28, when he signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Cavaliers that was not guaranteed.

The Warriors declined to match the offer because retaining McCaw beyond Monday’s contract guarantee date would have resulted in a luxury-tax hit of roughly $11 million. The Cavaliers, though, played McCaw in only three games before releasing him Sunday — right before the league’s annual deadline that would have made McCaw’s $3 million salary guaranteed.

The short stint with the Cavaliers netted McCaw, 23, just $323,529. But it sets him up to become an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers Wednesday at 5 p.m., which Golden State has apparently argued was Cleveland’s intention all along.

The Warriors declined to comment Tuesday. McCaw’s agent, Bill Duffy, also declined to comment. The Cavaliers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

McCaw was a member of Golden State’s past two championship teams but missed the entire 2017 playoffs after a nasty fall in a late March game at Sacramento, which inflicted a serious bone bruise on his back.

Selected No. 38 over all out of Nevada-Las Vegas in the 2016 draft, McCaw turned down a two-year, $5.2 million offer from the Warriors before this season began in which the second season was not guaranteed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/s...orts&smtyp=cur

Sports Photos
    ‏Verified account
    @sportsphotos

#2009vs2019

At one time, OKC had those three PLUS Serge Ibaka.
    Just imagine now.
    Starry starry night

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859