Agree Agree:  114
Likes Likes:  88
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657

Thread: The NBA Thread

Re: The NBA Thread

The comms were falling all over themselves the other night trying not to say anything about the "general soreness" that was causing Butler to need "rest".

Meanwhile Embiid single handedly got a win for Philly last night. It's going to be interesting if Butler ends up there.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Another player that I don't understand (and I like Butler). The Wolves have KAT and Andrew Wiggins, two really good and exciting young players. Derrick Rose is still good. So why is Butler so angry to get out of there? It has to be a problem with Tibs.
    Now he may go to the 76ers. Another team with two very good young players (Embid and Simmons) but basically the same situation.
    I really don't understand anything about these trades/moves in the NBA. Nothing.
    Starry starry night

I'm not confused about why he wants out of Minnesota. He hasn't really been unclear about it.

Although KAT and Wiggins are definitely talented, no one thinks they've come close to being at the level they are supposed to be. It was thought at one point that the T-Wolves were building a super team but that barely gets a mention anymore. KAT is closer to what he was expected to be than Wiggins, but neither is on Anthony Davis' level and both were projected to be by now. Embiid and Simmons are a good deal younger and most already think higher of them than Wiggins for sure, and at times KAT as well.

@Ti-Amie, why are you saying IF he ends up at the Sixers? Also, the Sixers have lost a step this year. They aren't winning on the road, and they aren't the talk of the East. That's what this move is about in addition to trying to get over the hump. Their current veteran leadership is JJ Reddick, and he's always underwhelming. They planned to contend with a Celtics team that was better than last season with Kyrie and Gordon returning. They were not thinking that the Raptors and the Bucks would look better than the Celtics. The current map of the East has them on the outside looking in at the Eastern Conference Finals with their current lineup and they were penciling themselves in this year. Jimmy brings both offense and defense with him and they are sorely lacking on that front right now. Last week the local news radio said during their in-game report and I quote "the Sixers were down by double digits after the first two quarters of choosing not to play one full minute of defense."

Biggest question, and the biggest thing about fan reaction locally to the trade, is whether or not it was worth it to lose Daric. We shall see on that front.

At the time I posted it I hadn't seen a confirmation of the trade that's all.

They are really dragging both Fultz and Simmons on Twitter by the way.

Kofie
    ‏Verified account
    @KofieYeboah

Jimmy Butler when he sees Fultz and Simmons shooting in practice
    https://t.co/gjAoAd55Aj
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn

Minnesota accomplished one of the goals it set for itself in trade talks: Sending Jimmy Butler to the Eastern Conference, not to a Western rival. A deal with Philadelphia made more sense for the Timberwolves once Miami pulled Josh Richardson out of talks.

ANNNDDDDD there's this.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    ‏@SportsTalkJo3y

Source tells ESPN that Jimmy Butler & Karl-Anthony Towns got into a fistfight while Butler was cleaning out his locker. Towns reportedly told Butler he "is a bully who won't be missed". Butler then called Towns a "bitch".

That's hilarious but that's a parody account.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That's hilarious but that's a parody account.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure

Yesterday the Spurs beat the Rockets and (miraculously) they showed the game down here.
    Harden is not even any more trying to shoot. He is coming down the court and doing nothing more than looking for contact. He is picking up his man and dribbling and waiting to see how to jump into the other player's arm.
    Pop told all the players to guard him with their hands up and clearly visible to the refs.
    And somebody please tell me how D'Antoni is an NBA coach. They shot 41 3's, making only 9. I do not know enough of basketball to talk about strategies and coaching, but it seems to me that the Rockets' sole directive is "get to the three point line and shoot it".
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-11-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Yesterday the Spurs beat the Rockets and (miraculously) they showed the game down here.
    Harden is not even any more trying to shoot. He is coming down the court and doing nothing more than looking for contact. He is picking up his man and dribbling and waiting to see how to jump into the other player's arm.
    Pop told all the players to guard him with their hands up and clearly visible to the refs.
    And somebody please tell me how D'Antoni is an NBA coach. They shot 41 3's, making only 9. I do not know enough of basketball to talk about strategies and coaching, but it seems to me that the Rockets' sole directive is "get to the three point line and shoot it".
    I've never cared for Harden's "style" of play. Everyone dragged Lebron for flopping but when push comes to shove (literally) he can go inside, make a shot and draw the foul cleanly (sometimes) .

D'Antoni has never been a good coach. He sucked here in NY and it was only a matter of time before his time ran out in Houston.

The NBA pre season shows talked about the effect the Warriors have had on the NBA especially when it comes to three point shots. What the other teams don't realize is that Steph and his crew can play the inside game. They make it rain when they're either toying with a team or someone is hot like Thompson was a couple of weeks ago. If the situation is tight they try and work it inside. If they can't then they run a scripted three point play.

Pop is still looking a bit worse for wear to me.

That was a very interesting game ponchi. I'm thinking of trying to catch a replay on League Pass.

The Rockets are most definitely in a down phase. They always say you live by the 3, you die by the 3. Rockets are paying for their heavily analytics approach to scoring. No one on TNT thought it was sustainable the Rockets approach would be sustainable and that looks to be about right at the moment.

I think D'Antoni's best years as a coach were with the Phoenix Suns some time ago. I have a hard time calling this much analytics entering into strategy "coaching". It seems you are ceding your superior basketball knowledge to stats and only stats and have forgotten the X factors that make the game and each player unique. LeBron, Steph, Kevin, Kawhi, Giannis, Kyrie, Russ, Anthony Davis, etc. Can they really be captured by stats alone? Thinking that seems like a gross underestimation of their talents that will land you on the losing end more often than not.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    ‏Verified account
    @wojespn

While Carmelo Anthony is absent with an illness tonight against the Spurs, the Rockets and Anthony are discussing his role and how they might still be able to proceed together for the rest of the season, league sources tell ESPN. Talks are fluid.

Melo fits right into the Rockets' scheme. Shoot the ball 50 times, make 15 buckets, your stat line reads 30 points. You lost the game but hey, Carmelo scored 30!
    Starry starry night

You should read the responses to the above tweet. One made me but I can't post it here.

Best pre season analysis in my opinion. I meant to post it earlier. We watch it at the beginning of the season and then again at the All Star break.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657