Agree Agree:  240
Likes Likes:  169
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4772879394959697
Results 1,441 to 1,453 of 1453

Thread: The NBA Thread

Re: The NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    His popularity with other players or with fans? If the former, he's a nice and likable guy that's been a great and supportive friend and teammate for 2 decades or more. If the latter, nothing I can say will penetrate a Knicks fan's mind. There's an impenetrable mental block where he's concerned in my experience.

Actually, that's mostly the case with the franchise in general. I have tried to explain that criticizing someone forcefully for 3 straight years then begging for him to join your team may not be the best strategy, but the common sense of this point rarely seems to land. I typically get "but it's the Knicks and it's New York" like that excuses everything about how they view the importance of the franchise. I have stopped trying.
    The Knicks haven't fielded a competitive team in years. Melo was on most of those non competitive teams. I'm not a huge Knick fan anymore but I am a New Yorker. What you say is true.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Maybe the more he's talking to others, the more he sees the value in leaving? He was "committed to the Rockets" less than a week ago. Russ was the one pushing a trade. Now, all the news is on James? Maybe this comes down, yet again to friendships. James appears to have more close connections around the league than Russ does.

Shams Charania
    @ShamsCharania

Rockets star James Harden wants to be on a contender elsewhere, and Brooklyn and Philadelphia are believed to be his top desired trade destinations, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Houston is fully comfortable keeping Harden and Russell Westbrook into the season.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn

Sources: After turning down an extension offer to become the first $50M a year player in league history, James Harden’s message to Houston is clear: Get me to Brooklyn. Rockets and Nets have been in contact, but there’s been no meaningful dialogue.

Two things: why would the Rockets pay Harden $50MM? He is clearly not even close to a top 5 player.
    And: has Brooklyn made any statements of wanting him? I have not seen that.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Two things: why would the Rockets pay Harden $50MM? He is clearly not even close to a top 5 player.
    And: has Brooklyn made any statements of wanting him? I have not seen that.
    I'm guessing on the first, but if they lose Harden, what do the Rockets become? Not much in my mind with just Russ unless they are able to acquire someone significant. So they'll pay him a record amount to keep themselves relevant. In terms of not being a top 5. Yes, he is. He's in the MVP convo every year, I believe he came in 3rd this year in votes. So whether you or I value his play or not, others do and easily consider him Top 5 in the league. And this is Houston. They lie to themselves regularly about their perceived greatness. The nonsense they pulled to try to prove they would've beaten the Warriors is still one of the most embarrassing, desperate displays I've ever seen in my life.

In terms of Brooklyn. I think that's why the talks aren't very serious at this point. It's what he wants, not necessarily what will happen. Pretty sure James is a legend in his own mind and thinks he can call his shots a la LeBron. There is no indication yet that he's anywhere near getting the trade he wants. But that doesn't mean much, might just be keeping a lid on things. But so far, the reporting suggests they are in talks, but not close. The Nets owner is beyond flush with cash, so he very well may be willing to make the money work. But considering everyone is going to take a hit because of the pandemic, he'd have to really want to go there to have this be the year he pays so much in luxury tax.

I'm guessing on the first, but if they lose Harden, what do the Rockets become? Not much in my mind with just Russ unless they are able to acquire someone significant. So they'll pay him a record amount to keep themselves relevant. In terms of not being a top 5. Yes, he is. He's in the MVP convo every year, I believe he came in 3rd this year in votes. So whether you or I value his play or not, others do and easily consider him Top 5 in the league. And this is Houston. They lie to themselves regularly about their perceived greatness. The nonsense they pulled to try to prove they would've beaten the Warriors is still one of the most embarrassing, desperate displays I've ever seen in my life.

In terms of Brooklyn. I think that's why the talks aren't very serious at this point. It's what he wants, not necessarily what will happen. Pretty sure James is a legend in his own mind and thinks he can call his shots a la LeBron. There is no indication yet that he's anywhere near getting the trade he wants. But that doesn't mean much, might just be keeping a lid on things. But so far, the reporting suggests they are in talks, but not close. The Nets owner is beyond flush with cash, so he very well may be willing to make the money work. But considering everyone is going to take a hit because of the pandemic, he'd have to really want to go there to have this be the year he pays so much in luxury tax.
    Westbrook, IMO, can't carry a team. Frankly Harden can't either. Harden is suffering from "legendinhisownmind-itis". He's not worth that kind of money.

Lebron, AD, KD, Steph and Kawhi. There, Harden is NOT in the top five
    (And we said it during the finals: you have a game 7 and who do you choose: Harden of Buttler?)

This should be great for team chemistry.

Hoop Central
    @TheHoopCentral

The Boston Celtics reportedly wanted Jrue Holiday; “Danny Ainge was throwing Kemba at everybody trying to get the picks for Jrue Holiday.”

(via @talkhoops).

Can't even begin to think about what the thinking is here outside of pure talent on either side. But that's ignoring a lot. A ton. Also, reporting earlier in the day made clear that the Wizards have zero plans to trade Bradley Beal.

Shams Charania
    @ShamsCharania

The Rockets and Wizards have discussed a deal centered on Russell Westbrook for John Wall, sources tell
    @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. No traction yet, Rockets are seeking more assets.

There's been a lot of deals that don't make a ton of sense in the last couple days, but this takes the case by a mile. I don't get it. At all.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn

Free agent Gordon Hayward is signing a 4-year, $120M deal with Charlotte, per source.

There's been a lot of deals that don't make a ton of sense in the last couple days, but this takes the case by a mile. I don't get it. At all.
    I just saw that and wondered why he would leave Boston. He's the second name player - Isaiah Thomas is the other - who has opted to leave after the organization appears to have done so much for them.

That said - Charlotte? Then again folks are fighting to get to Brooklyn so who knows?

I have a hard time coming up with what Boston has done for Gordon or what he did for them, other than get paid handsomely for being injured. Which is why I have no idea how the heck he is getting that kind of money. I can barely remember when he wasn't injured in the last few years. Now, Utah, they have a serious argument to make.

But to be fair, I don't know why we had to hear about all the money these teams and players were losing amid the pandemic, the money on these new contracts are insane.

I don't get Charlotte at all. Everyone is just straight up confused in the comments. The rumors were he was trying to get home and go to the Pacers, and that made sense as a legitimate reason to leave Boston. But the Bobcats? Alrighty then.

Isaiah didn't leave the Celtics, he was traded for Kyrie. He wanted to stay there badly. But still, they have had two named players force their trades out of town.

Isaiah is the poster boy for "Never do anything above what your contract says for any organization". I recall it as JazzNu says. He wanted to stay there badly.
    And after he played in the playoffs after his sister's death, I really felt that if he ever were to go to TD Garden with a flamethrower, he should be charged with at most a misdemeanor. That was low (from the Celtics).

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4772879394959697