Agree Agree:  197
Likes Likes:  147
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3560758182838485
Results 1,261 to 1,273 of 1273

Thread: The NBA Thread

Re: The NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    It was a BIG MAN era. #1 was Hakeem Olajuwon, who went on to be very good and gave Houston two rings. Sam Bowie, at number 2, was a bust because of injuries. Both were centers. But that was the story in the 80's. There were plenty of other players with injuries that never recovered (Ralph Sampson comes to mind). And even Jordan was beset with injuries his first two years, so he was not a sure bet at the time.
    There was no 3-point line. Steph Curry right now would be benched by any decent coach that would consider him reckless.
    Michael Jordan went where he was supposed to go. Hakeem the Dream and Phi Slama Jama were amazing. Period. And the first pick was to the Houston Rockets for goodness sake. An excellent pick and an even better business decision. Sam Bowie may have been a bust, but his team was the Portland Trailblazers. Did they maybe already have a point guard who they thought might be great? Yeah, they did. His name was Clyde Drexler, so a very astute assessment on their part.

The 3-point line was already adopted by this time, but the sentiment remains the same - Steph would be viewed as reckless. The person who truly gets shafted regularly to me in these GOAT debates is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Still chilling out at the top of the scoring leaders rankings, but played the majority of his career without a 3-point line and it is NEVER mentioned.

Not going to argue, maybe you were around when all this happened. I was a first grader who had never heard of NBA

Just found it funny that possibly the greatest basketball player of all time didn't go #1.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Not going to argue, maybe you were around when all this happened. I was a first grader who had never heard of NBA

Just found it funny that possibly the greatest basketball player of all time didn't go #1.
    I'm younger. Phi Slama Jama is Fab Five game changing before the Fab Five existed, so it has been profiled plenty. I got to see all of the players though at some point. My mom and dad would tell me about some of it before I saw it myself. The first great college team I saw in person were the Running Rebels. AMAZING.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 01-19-2020 at 04:19 PM.

If you think being picked #3 was bad how about being left off the high school basketball team for a year for being too short? He always claimed to use rejection as motivation so maybe if he went #1 he wouldn’t have been so good? (I kid.)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post

The 3-point line was already adopted by this time, but the sentiment remains the same - Steph would be viewed as reckless. The person who truly gets shafted regularly to me in these GOAT debates is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Still chilling out at the top of the scoring leaders rankings, but played the majority of his career without a 3-point line and it is NEVER mentioned.
    Totally. And I have always asked: why has nobody mastered the Sky Hook? Why has nobody ever crawled to Kareem's house and asked him (beg) to tech him to shoot that? It was impossible to guard. Plus Kareem ALSO has 6 rings.
    Missing winter...

This Zion coverage makes it seem like they only slightly like Coco. Here's hoping they dial it back to something approaching reasonable after he debuts. I don't want him to be injured and it's great that he's rehabbed enough to play without limits, but this is feeling like it's going to be completely unbearable.

Branford Marsalis
    @bmarsalis
    This sucks.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

ESPN Stats & Info
    @ESPNStatsInfo

Zion Williamson made 4 threes in a span of 2:34 of the 4th quarter.

He never made more than 3 threes in a game at Duke.

ESPN had a "Zion Cam" going. Even when he as sitting on the bench they had one camera dedicated to watching him. Oi
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Yeah, I got 4 alerts about him as the game was about to start (I got plenty more earlier in the day). That his game was starting, that he was lighting it up in the 4th, that he was 17-22 and then a recap of his overall performance. You know what I didn't get an alert about? A win. Calm down ESPN!

There is breaking news that I hope is not true

― Frank Zappa

Kobe Bryant dead at the age of 41.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-...-in-calabasas/

John Lombardo @sbjlombardo

NBA postpones Lakers game

― Frank Zappa

NBA @NBA

The following has been released by the NBA

― Frank Zappa

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3560758182838485