Agree Agree:  215
Likes Likes:  160
Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1530363738394041424344506590 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA Thread

Re: The NBA Thread

I can't ever remember a #3 to #8 as bunched up as the West was.

East predictions first round
    Toronto Cleveland Philadelphia Milwaukee

West predictions first round
    Houston Oklahoma City New Orleans Golden State
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    East predictions first round
    Toronto Cleveland Philadelphia Milwaukee

West predictions first round
    Houston Oklahoma City New Orleans Golden State
    West: Houston GSW OKC Spurs

East: Toronto Cleveland Philly ???(Toss up)
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

In a truly unpredictable season I am going with chalk. All 8 favs to advance. Sports radio will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    West: Houston GSW OKC Spurs

East: Toronto Cleveland Philly ???(Toss up)
    GSW play Spurs first round
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

I put up all those pretty graphics but they're on the last page , so putting this here to help those who want to post their picks for a quicker reference.

My First Round Picks -

East
    1. Raptors d. 8. Wizards
    7. Bucks d. 2. Celtics
    3. 76ers d. 6. Heat
    4. Cavs d. 5. Pacers

West
    1. Rockets d. 8. Timberwolves
    2. Warriors d. 7. Spurs
    3. Trailblazers d. 6. Pelicans
    4. Thunder d. 5. Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    GSW play Spurs first round
    This is why I don't do predictions. Then after GSW, Houston and OKC it's a toss up for me.

Maybe Portland?

Official: Kawhi will not join the Spurs for the play offs. I gather this is it for him. I will be very sorry to see him leave but I just don't see him staying.
    Wonder what got him upset. He seemed to be very happy last year.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Official: Kawhi will not join the Spurs for the play offs. I gather this is it for him. I will be very sorry to see him leave but I just don't see him staying.
    Wonder what got him upset. He seemed to be very happy last year.
    Oh yeah, it didn't have to be official. He's been as good as gone for weeks now. I don't care how much Popovich is acting as if he's mystified, that's his show down there in San Antonio, I think there's no way he's not the reason Kawhi is gone to the point of not wanting to be with the team recently. It's why the team held the player's-only meeting with Kawhi asking him to come back for them, not for Pop. Whether this is about Pop mishandling Kawhi's max contract or something else remains to be seen, but he's gone.

Ok, I am confused. They gave him a max contract when possible (a couple of years ago) and this summer he is eligible to a "franchise" tag (I forget what the actual name is). They have given him everything (I think).
    Maybe you are more informed than I but I believe that he (Kawhi) has not been happy that Aldridge is also getting start treatment. Which is silly because the worst way to complaint about that is sitting out an entire season.
    I wonder what other teams will think when they go after him.

He's eligible for the max next summer since he fits all the necessary criteria, but he can get the super max extension that's basically the same thing this year. His rift is not about or with Aldridge, who himself was having a ton of problems with Pop and requested a trade in the off season.

Kawhi is injured as you know. He'd been getting treatment for the injury from the Spurs' docs. He was basically cleared to play and they projected a date to return to play, he decided to get a second opinion because he didn't feel like he was back to where he should be and was curious on why they were saying he was. The independent doctors in NYC said, you're not ready to return. There's been a breakdown of communication since about that time, even though Kawhi has been back and practicing with the Spurs many times.

It makes it seem like the Spurs are looking out for themselves, not for him as they continue to try to pressure him to play right now for a successful push in the playoffs and to keep their playoff streak alive, which was largely in doubt this season. And Kawhi is attempting not to become the most recent cautionary tale of how to both not get the max contract and to ruin your career, i.e. Grant Hill and Isaiah Thomas. It's going to become way more commonplace to get a second opinion because of what happened with Isaiah. Teams are clearly not always telling them the best thing for their career and if they go with their advice and play like Isaiah, you may get a similar result, where you are injured again, traded, and out your potential max contract. Had Isaiah sought a true second opinion at the time away from the team who was continually telling him it was safe to play, it's highly likely he would've known it wasn't a good idea to pressure his hip and treat it non-surgically like the Celtics suggested. He's lost a year, he's just had successful surgery that he could've had a year ago, has months of rehab ahead of him, and he's also nowhere near in the market he was thought to be in when he was the leading scorer for the Celtics. If Kawhi played like Isaiah did and got injured again, would the Spurs still offer a super max extension this summer? Isaiah is a cautionary tale like Grant Hill was that players seem to be taking to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    He's eligible for the max next summer since he fits all the necessary criteria, but he can get the super max extension that's basically the same thing this year. His rift is not about or with Aldridge, who himself was having a ton of problems with Pop and requested a trade in the off season.

Kawhi is injured as you know. He'd been getting treatment for the injury from the Spurs' docs. He was basically cleared to play and they projected a date to return to play, he decided to get a second opinion because he didn't feel like he was back to where he should be and was curious on why they were saying he was. The independent doctors in NYC said, you're not ready to return. There's been a breakdown of communication since about that time, even though Kawhi has been back and practicing with the Spurs many times.

It makes it seem like the Spurs are looking out for themselves, not for him as they continue to try to pressure him to play right now for a successful push in the playoffs and to keep their playoff streak alive, which was largely in doubt this season. And Kawhi is attempting not to become the most recent cautionary tale of how to both not get the max contract and to ruin your career, i.e. Grant Hill and Isaiah Thomas. It's going to become way more commonplace to get a second opinion because of what happened with Isaiah. Teams are clearly not always telling them the best thing for their career and if they go with their advice and play like Isaiah, you may get a similar result, where you are injured again, traded, and out your potential max contract. Had Isaiah sought a true second opinion at the time away from the team who was continually telling him it was safe to play, it's highly likely he would've known it wasn't a good idea to pressure his hip and treat it non-surgically like the Celtics suggested. He's lost a year, he's just had successful surgery that he could've had a year ago, has months of rehab ahead of him, and he's also nowhere near in the market he was thought to be in when he was the leading scorer for the Celtics. If Kawhi played like Isaiah did and got injured again, would the Spurs still offer a super max extension this summer? Isaiah is a cautionary tale like Grant Hill was that players seem to be taking to heart.
    Thanks for explaining this. I was beginning to think Kawhi was being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Thanks for explaining this. I was beginning to think Kawhi was being a jerk.
    The only thing he could legitimately be called out on to me is not sitting on the bench during playoffs, but at the same time, things like Tony Parker acting like his injury is no biggie (this is an actual quote from him when he downplayed Kawhi's injury in comparison to his own), not to mention the clear rift with Pop (who is taking cheap shots at him through veiled comments) doesn't help and explains why he's not doing even that. The players-only meeting to implore him to return (also led by Parker) was reportedly quite heated. So, I'm not sure it's productive or even comfortable for him to be with the team now when he knows he's not playing.

It's the old classic from really any of the leagues. When the player wants to put themselves first, he's being selfish and lacks loyalty. When the team trades them, planned or out of the blue, it's suddenly just business and no big deal.

Two more things - First - Kawhi's quad injury is complicated and everyone who knows sports medicine says so. It's degenerative and can get much worse if you rush back from what I've read. Remember that Kawhi did come back already this season, so it's highly likely he's that much more cautious because he knows the team brought him back too soon before.

Second - Kawhi does not have a no-trade clause in his current contract. Pop could screw him over, but whoever he gets traded to in the off-season would be leasing him for one year if it's not a desirable landing place for Kawhi because he can go for max contract in 2019. So, the Spurs need to search for a good trade partner if they want decent value for him.

Who is the market for Kawhi? Literally everyone, none of how this is handled will matter. Excluding injury concerns (and by all accounts he's coming back very well and looks very good in practice), he's like 8 years younger than LeBron and considered the best two-way player in the game. Every team that can afford him will be in the market, the Warriors being the only possible exception. Kawhi is a SoCal guy, look for the Lakers and the Clippers to be in the mix. Sixers, Celtics, and Cavs as well. The Wizards and Heat also possible. A sports radio show I listen to mentioned that Pat Riley has been super quiet recently, and that's completely true. Silence from Pat means he's working behind the scenes to pull something off. Stay tuned to see if he can work his magic again.

The only thing that I would disagree is with your assessment of how Pop has handled the situation. He is the coach of the team and must be frustrated with this situation. With Kawhi, you know the Spurs are top two in the league (especially the way LA has played this season). Without him, they will be swept by the Dubs.
    I think everybody has behaved well. Kawhi never talks anyway so waiting for him to say something is ridiculous.
    I would like him to stay but as you say, he is from SoCal. I think the Lakers, with a lot of cap money, get him.

Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1530363738394041424344506590 ... LastLast