Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World cup 2014

World cup 2014

Anyone watching the game? Brazil being totally destroyed by Germany! At home, in WC semi finals!!!

4-0 in just 25 minutes!!!!

Roger forever

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: World cup 2014

OMG! Now, 5-0

This is a historic beatdown.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

This will surely not be forgotten by anyone currently alive in both Germany and Brazil!

Brazil hasn't looked particularly fantastic all tournament even with Silva and Neymar, but today they have completely capitulated under the pressure and after the first German goal.
    Roger forever

We should also mention that this version of Germany is much better than anything we've seen so far.

Certainly, but it was easy to be fantastic against a defence like that… Germany is now a favourite to win the cup, but I wouldn't write off Argentina or Netherlands just yet.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Certainly, but it was easy to be fantastic against a defence like that… Germany is now a favourite to win the cup, but I wouldn't write off Argentina or Netherlands just yet.
    Of course not. "The matches have to be played", but with that performance, they're the favorites.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

That was insane. That period after Klose's second goal when Brazil just forgot there should be someone defending the goalpost?

I was visiting my sister and no one wanted to watch so I followed on Twitter. Beatdown doesn't begin to describe what was happening. The US lost 1-0 to Germany. I guess our team was better than Brazil this year.

Is it still calm in Brazil? A lot of people were expecting riots if Brazil didn't win the cup. Some idiot started circulating false pictures of rioting.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Well, I guess the Brazilians didn't pay enough for the win.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I was visiting my sister and no one wanted to watch so I followed on Twitter. Beatdown doesn't begin to describe what was happening. The US lost 1-0 to Germany. I guess our team was better than Brazil this year.
    And Ghana tied and almost beat Germany too!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Somewhat fun: rank the flops of the World Cup.

link to washington post
    Last edited by James7; 07-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

U.S. Program Can Take Heart in Germany’s Triumph
    JULY 9, 2014 By GEORGE VECSEY

(...) For the growing swarm of American soccer fans, there are implications to this lambasting. On one level, this was one of those sporting events when everything went right for one team and everything went wrong for another — comparable to the 73-0 victory by the Chicago Bears over Washington in the National Football League championship in 1940.

(...)

There is a direct line from the development system of the German federation, the D.F.B., to the celebrity coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, currently dashing up and down the sideline for the United States, smiling at opponents, exhorting his own players.

Germany rarely needs a renewal, not with three World Cups won (as West Germany) and four other times a finalist. That does not mean Germany will automatically win the final Sunday in Rio de Janeiro. It merely means Germany is just about always there.

The most apt words ever spoken about the German team were uttered by Gary Lineker, the English captain, after a shootout loss to West Germany in the 1990 semifinal:

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.”

(...)

“Germany loses the final — and they double down on their development plan,” Sunil Gulati, the president of the U.S. Soccer Federation, recalled in a telephone interview from Brazil on Wednesday. He is impressed with Germany’s continuing development system.

“They have academies funded in part by the Bundesliga,” he said, referring to the wealthy German professional system.

(...)

Now that Spain has apparently fallen apart from athletic old age, Germany surges, taking its core from the D.F.B. program. The Bundesliga is challenging the Spanish, English and Italian leagues as the best in the world, using imports from Africa and Latin America and Europe, but good German players do not rust away at home.

(...)

The United States, with its own federation, its own development plans, its own Major League Soccer, is doing fine, and it has maintained its longtime admiration of German soccer, Gulati noted. With the D.F.B. plan producing at full tilt, not everybody can make the German team. In the meantime, Klinsmann has a large supply of phone numbers and email addresses and passport statuses of German players with legitimate ties to the United States. And he has four more years on his contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/sp...nytsports&_r=0
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Somewhat fun: rank the flops of the World Cup.

link to washington post
    I think you meant to link to this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...aris_Yellow_55

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast