Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013 NFL Thread

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    There was a story reported earlier this year on ESPN (and a follow up on either Deadspin or Bleacher Report) that plans were being made for a couple of NFL players to out themselves, but for whatever reason, it never came to fruition.

All of the roommate's tweets and posts have been deleted. But going to be interesting how this unfolds, especially with all the attention Rodgers (and Green Bay) will have hosting San Francisco in a playoff game this weekend.
    The main player in that story was unsigned, wasn't he? Maybe I'm thinking of a different interview.

If true about Rogers, I wonder how long it'll be before the first riff on "Double Check" happens?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    The main player in that story was unsigned, wasn't he? Maybe I'm thinking of a different interview.

If true about Rogers, I wonder how long it'll be before the first riff on "Double Check" happens?
    Do you mean Daaaable-check?

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I don't see the story getting any traction at this point. Rumors hit top athletes all the time. Funny it took his return to action for the story to pop up.
    Especially since the source is Perez Hilton, who seems to do zero fact checking.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It'll be time for a 2014 NFL thread very soon - in the meantime, here's an interesting look about how 53 year old/19 year veteran African-American Pam Oliver found herself demoted from Fox's top NFL team (Buck/Aikmen's team) in favor of Erin Andrews. And how Oliver will be completely gone from the NFL sidelines at the end of this season. And not, it was not by choice.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/14/pam...in-andrews-fox
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It'll be time for a 2014 NFL thread very soon - in the meantime, here's an interesting look about how 53 year old/19 year veteran African-American Pam Oliver found herself demoted from Fox's top NFL team (Buck/Aikmen's team) in favor of Erin Andrews. And how Oliver will be completely gone from the NFL sidelines at the end of this season. And not, it was not by choice.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/14/pam...in-andrews-fox
    Erin Andrews didn't handle the Richard Sherman interview last season very well. I always wondered had Oliver been reporting on that sideline if it would have gone better than long pause, bewilderment, longer pause, "Back to you".

Oliver should have been given the choice to "retire" on her terms but for some reason, being a blonde is the thing these days due to no fault of their own merit (ie - Eugenie Bouchard in tennis)
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Oliver should have been given the choice to "retire" on her terms but for some reason, being a blonde is the thing these days due to no fault of their own merit (ie - Eugenie Bouchard in tennis)
    Oliver is handling it well

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Tony Dungy is trying to extricate himself from a self-created sticky one.

He said, in comments published over the weekend, that he would not have drafted Michael Sam " “(n)ot because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth…things will happen.”

He has now issued the following statement hoping to clarify his position:

Tony Dungy’s statement regarding his Michael Sam comments
    [Editor's note: In response to quotes that appeared in Monday's Tampa Tribune, Tony Dungy has released a statement. The full content of it appears below.]

On Monday afternoon while on vacation with my family, I was quite surprised to read excerpts from an interview I gave several weeks ago related to this year’s NFL Draft, and I feel compelled to clarify those remarks.

I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael’s first season had been announced.

I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way—by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they’re good enough to play. That’s my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sam-comments/
    Last edited by Moose; 07-22-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

He had me up until, " I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization."

That's exactly opposite of what he said originally.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

He pretty much contradicts himself in back to back lines a couple times.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Dungy was Michael Vick's big cheerleader/mentor when Vick was returning to the NFL in 2009. He took Vick under his wing, traveled with him to meet teams, and was present at the press conference (in fact he was on the dais) when Vick signed with the PHiladelphia Eagles.

If ever there was a distracting media circus, it was Philly in the wake of the Vick signing. Everyone associated with sports reporting was doing stories from here, petitions were everywhere, the outcry over signing a dog torturer was huge. But Dungy never commented on that media circus, instead he just kept talking about how wise the Eagles were for signing Vick.

I wonder how, exactly, Dungy defines "distraction" that Sam is too big a one, yet Vick wasn't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234