Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Give me that damn OSCAR! angelina's Avatar

Re: Is this your first TAT Suicide Pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    [quote author=angelina link=1168452252/0#10 date=1168532648]yes it is... and i'm so nervous!!!
    welcome aboard, Angelina...and thank you for joining us. It really is a fun game, and you'll get to talk tennis with some very knowledgable and very fun people along the way.

Glad you popped into the discussion on Amelie in the other thread. We'e always glad to welcome players to our SP's...but we're even happier when people who find us through our friend Jon Wertheim end up joining in on discussion.[/quote]

hey there, didn't see your post until now.
    thanks
    i finally found an awesome place to read/discuss tennis.
    and then there's the suicide pool, too!
    let's hope beginner's luck will help me go deep in the tournament haha

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by angelina
    [quote author=Moose link=1168452252/0#11 date=1168534221][quote author=angelina link=1168452252/0#10 date=1168532648]yes it is... and i'm so nervous!!!
    welcome aboard, Angelina...and thank you for joining us. It really is a fun game, and you'll get to talk tennis with some very knowledgable and very fun people along the way.

Glad you popped into the discussion on Amelie in the other thread. We'e always glad to welcome players to our SP's...but we're even happier when people who find us through our friend Jon Wertheim end up joining in on discussion.[/quote]

thanks
    [/quote]

Don't laugh, I almost won the French in my first run (lost in the tiebreaker - to be explained later, I'm sure) and have been trying to regain that glory again - unsuccessfully.

Anyway, welcome to TAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8
    [quote author=angelina link=1168452252/15#15 date=1168628663][quote author=Moose link=1168452252/0#11 date=1168534221][quote author=angelina link=1168452252/0#10 date=1168532648]yes it is... and i'm so nervous!!!

thanks
    [/quote]

Don't laugh, I almost won the French in my first run (lost in the tiebreaker - to be explained later, I'm sure) and have been trying to regain that glory again - unsuccessfully.

Anyway, welcome to TAT!!![/quote]

REALLY!?
    Do share your story with us!!!
    What was your strategy if you don't mind sharing the less top-secret stuff? haha
    I'm printing out the draw sheets as we speak!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

No big strategy, beginner's luck?

I usually went through the day's matches. crossed out the ones where players I wanted to keep for later were playing, then crossed out the matches that were toss-ups.

The remaining ones, I went through H2H's and crossed them off if the H2H was even or close, or if they haven't played yet. Then just go with you gut.

Of course, every round, you get fewer and fewer options to do that. So, beyond the second round days, it's really more gut based.

The best result would be to beat the draw. But in the FO, I and the other person ran out of players by Day 11.

No big strategy, beginner's luck?

I usually went through the day's matches. crossed out the ones where players I wanted to keep for later were playing, then crossed out the matches that were toss-ups.

The remaining ones, I went through H2H's and crossed them off if the H2H was even or close, or if they haven't played yet. Then just go with you gut.

Of course, every round, you get fewer and fewer options to do that. So, beyond the second round days, it's really more gut based.

The best result would be to beat the draw. But in the FO, I and the other person ran out of players by Day 11.
    Sounds like a great plan to me
    Thanks for sharing. Good luck to you!
    If I come up with something magnificent, I'll be sure to share with you guys!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Please do!

by the way, that's a really nice photo of angelina!

Oh, and I see you are a fellow New Yorker. We will take over TAT soon!

tennis nut
    Awards Showcase

My first SP was the AO one year ago. With each Slam, I learned more and improved my results over the year. My advice - don't go for longshots. But the favorites can let you down hard! Pay attention to injury reports. But tennis players keep that very secret. That's what makes it so tricky, as mentioned earlier.

Angelina, I too love the picture, but when you look close there are lightening bolts in her eyes! It's like she's giving off an evil eye.

Welcome to the SP. I've enjoyed the challenge each time.
    Tennis - the sport for a lifetime.

I'm new yes! ;D

Please do!

by the way, that's a really nice photo of angelina!

Oh, and I see you are a fellow New Yorker. We will take over TAT soon!
    YESSS! New York rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbfan
    My first SP was the AO one year ago. With each Slam, I learned more and improved my results over the year. My advice - don't go for longshots. But the favorites can let you down hard! Pay attention to injury reports. But tennis players keep that very secret. That's what makes it so tricky, as mentioned earlier.

Angelina, I too love the picture, but when you look close there are lightening bolts in her eyes! It's like she's giving off an evil eye.

Thanks so much for sharing. You guys are all so nice!
    I'm thinking of going through the draw sheets and select winners for each round first, all the through to the final. And then as each day goes by, I'll see how each matchup is turning out and adjust my picks that way.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but I'll let you guys know if it works out for me

Oh and Gita! Good luck to you on your first SP, too!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

[quote author=jbfan link=1168452252/15#21 date=1168669375]My first SP was the AO one year ago. With each Slam, I learned more and improved my results over the year. My advice - don't go for longshots. But the favorites can let you down hard! Pay attention to injury reports. But tennis players keep that very secret. That's what makes it so tricky, as mentioned earlier.

I'm thinking of going through the draw sheets and select winners for each round first, all the through to the final. And then as each day goes by, I'll see how each matchup is turning out and adjust my picks that way.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but I'll let you guys know if it works out for me

Oh and Gita! Good luck to you on your first SP, too![/quote]

Sounds like a good plan, Angelina. I'll be curious to know how that works out.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

[quote author=jbfan link=1168452252/15#21 date=1168669375]My first SP was the AO one year ago. With each Slam, I learned more and improved my results over the year. My advice - don't go for longshots. But the favorites can let you down hard! Pay attention to injury reports. But tennis players keep that very secret. That's what makes it so tricky, as mentioned earlier.

That's not a bad plan, because at some point (if you last long enough), you have to start planning ahead so you don't get boxed into a corner. I usually wait to see if I live through the first few days, but I imagine it's never too early. In any event, I like your optimism.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas
    [quote author=angelina link=1168452252/15#24 date=1168734965][quote author=jbfan link=1168452252/15#21 date=1168669375]My first SP was the AO one year ago. With each Slam, I learned more and improved my results over the year. My advice - don't go for longshots. But the favorites can let you down hard! Pay attention to injury reports. But tennis players keep that very secret. That's what makes it so tricky, as mentioned earlier.

That's not a bad plan, because at some point (if you last long enough), you have to start planning ahead so you don't get boxed into a corner. I usually wait to see if I live through the first few days, but I imagine it's never too early. In any event, I like your optimism.[/quote]

Somehow that came out cynical, shtexas. Don't scare people

I signed up here just after last year's US Open had started so yes, this is my first ever suicide pool 8-) Hopefully my careful observations from the sidelines last time around come in handy now that I'm an actual participant...

FT
    FT

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas

That's not a bad plan, because at some point (if you last long enough), you have to start planning ahead so you don't get boxed into a corner. I usually wait to see if I live through the first few days, but I imagine it's never too early. In any event, I like your optimism.
    Yeah IF you make it that far...my strategy is for the first couple rounds pick people who don't think will win the tourney, then in round 3-4 plan then...no point in wasting time when 50% of the time (at least) you don't make it to round 3!

Another popular strategy is the pre-Roger strategy...if a player is 1 round away from Roger, they're a popular pick (last chance to pick them usually.)
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast