Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Men's Picks & Results Thread - RGSP

It seems that either Kohlschreiber or Lu has pulled out, so one group just got really lucky or royally screwed. Hope it's the former.

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    It seems that either Kohlschreiber or Lu has pulled out, so one group just got really lucky or royally screwed. Hope it's the former.
    It's Kohlschreiber who benefits from the walkover, so yes, the former! Better that way, cause there's no worse feeling than to be out of the SP because of an injury (I'm still bitter about Raonic's injury that one time at wimbledon!)!

Lump of Kohlschreiber gets the walkover!

Hello everybody! Though our number have thinned there's quite a few of us left... never mind the fact that we're still in R-2

Final numbers are not in yet, but here the candidates:

Dimitrov: in form player: Check. Weak opponent: Check. Loses next round: Check. Great choice. Lets just hope there are no upsets here.

Kohlschreiber: good pick, though if you saved him for next round no one could blame you.

Nishikori: timely choice. He should beat Zemlja; tricky match against Paire next, and if he wins he gets Rafa.

Paire: as the case with Nishikori, but with more urgency since one could say that this is his last round.

Isner: Pro: he plays Harrison -another American in a bad place right now. Con: Isner has done close to nothing in a while now. I think he has the better chance of winning but this was an unnecessary risk.

Fognini: I like this choice, the only reason I backed out is because he plays Rosol and he gives me bad vibes. Rafa is next.

Gasquet: sure why not, but he's an excellent choice for next round as well.

Haas: he's in the weakest spot of this half of the draw and I think he might very well come out of it. So IMO, it's too soon for using him.

Wawrinka: Stan has some tricky matches up ahead. He should beat Zeballos today; as well as Janowicz next round; then comes Gasquet. So if we're playing it safe, this was the last good moment to use him.

Janowicz: he's too erratic for my SP taste. Besides he plays Haase who can play on clay. Upset alert: 40%

Youzhny: this is one out-of-form player that still attracts pickers. One could be tempted in picking against Delbonis, but not sure that's such a wise choice. Riskiest pick of them all today.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Day 5 (after 2 no-picks):

88 Dimitrov
    17 Nishikori
    16 Paire
    11 Kohlschreiber
    8 Isner
    6 Youzhny
    5 Gasquet
    5 Janowicz
    3 Fognini
    3 Haas
    2 Wawrinka

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Noooooo. 6 years of playing and I finally succumbed to the dreaded no-pick. I guess there's a first for everything.

The Bulgarian Bandwagon is safely through to day 6.
    Boris Becker, youngest ever champion at Wimbledon in 1985 (17 years, 227 days) and great Attacker of the Net

And Novak well in control, so it seems the plan, on that side of the draw, is working.
    Now watch a lot of us stumble on the other side
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by aedra1119 View Post
    Noooooo. 6 years of playing and I finally succumbed to the dreaded no-pick. I guess there's a first for everything.
    How did you let that happen?!?

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Protip: save No Pick for later in the tournament... preferably for when you have your deepest run you have ever had. That was my strategy for the 2010 French Open. An overlapping academic conference may have contributed, but I will maintain it was a careful, deliberate strategy that just happened to not pay off.
    I disapprove of this message

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Protip: save No Pick for later in the tournament... preferably for when you have your deepest run you have ever had. That was my strategy for the 2010 French Open. An overlapping academic conference may have contributed, but I will maintain it was a careful, deliberate strategy that just happened to not pay off.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Looks like all 164 of us will be making picks for Friday. There are about 30 who will have to survive both picks tomorrow.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Looks like all 164 of us will be making picks for Friday. There are about 30 who will have to survive both picks tomorrow.
    Well, with my pick for tomorrow (Simon), you're pretty much guaranteed to lose at least one.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by networthy View Post
    How did you let that happen?!?
    I let life get in the way and I completely forgot. Ridiculous I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post

Almagro 3: some people never learn. ALWAYS AVOID ROGER-VASSELIN. That added to Almagro's erratic results makes this match very dangerous.
    After ERV's match, he tweeted a snapshot of a cat -- I presume his -- with the caption, "J'en connais une qui est fâchée suite à ma défaite :-(" [I know someone who was angry after I lost].

https://twitter.com/ERogerVasselin/s...858434/photo/1

(I can't help imagining this being the look on Drop's face every time people disregard his hard-won advice and go into Blackbeard's Castle pick ERV anyway. )

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast