Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Ágnes SZÁVAY announces her retirement

Agnes has retired (google translation)

"It's touching and shocking moments in my life, since more than 10 years ago almost to the tennis of my life revolves around. I do this, then what I do and probably would have been just the highlight of my career because I am only 24 years old. Unfortunately, the long path that led to the decision, but I can but I can not risk my health. " Agnes Szavay in 2004 and entered the professional tennis scene exploded a few years later the WTA world ranking. The end of 2006 was only the 207th was in the standings, but in 2007 the prestigious 13th registered place after winning the Palermo and Beijing competition in the finals in New Haven and marched to the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open. This series deservedly earned Rookie of the Year title in the women's tennis world organization (WTA) Athlete of the Year award is among the Hungarian journalists.
    "I'm very proud of my victory in the tournament and my address, which I won. It was hard, but I owe a lot to this sport. It has long been thought of retreat matured me a lot because of injury, but ever since I was in Switzerland and I learned that I can not hope for a full recovery from surgery, so I had to realize that, unfortunately, there is no other way. I think that the supporters and all those who believe in me a 100% Ági want to see on the field, but no one can guarantee. Unfortunately, a broken vertebra in the competitive sports is impossible anymore. Those who were with me know that I have tried everything and that about 4 years ago, lacerations played. Currently, I desire to be healthy again completely, because, unfortunately, many other problems can be caused by the continuous overload. But I am confident that I have acquired the knowledge and experience I'll be able to give to the next generation. Therefore, my big dream to do a tennis school and deal with children. I believe this now is the time, though they did not planned to retire so early. I know this will be a big change in my life, but I have plans and I will take it done, so I will soon be able to hear much about the Szavay Tennis Academy. "Said Agnes Szavay.

http://www.szavayagnes.hu/hirek.php?..._id=251&lng=hu
    Last edited by omess; 02-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Re: Ágnes SZÁVAY announces her retirement

So sad for injuries to sideline another player.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

mahjong Champion, 9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Great Mahjong: Classic Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion morct's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How depressing.

An unfortunate situation and I wish her all the best in her future endeavours.
    We All Play for Canada

Very sad indeed, but her life is not over just yet and I hope she can find joy in whatever she does next. She has a better head start than most 24 year olds.
    The grass master

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I forgot about her.

That's too bad, though.

I never forgot her - even got to see her one last time at Indian Wells in 2011, and have some great photos of her from there. Very attractive young lady with a beautiful smile.

I was a big fan. We saw her beat Petrova at the first TAT USO Tailgate, and a lot of us really fell for her. She made a couple nice runs toward the Top 10 (know she was inside the Top 15). A few titles, a QF at a Slam, a SF at a Slam in doubles.

Always had the health issues though. I know we've ocmmented on more than one occasion here that we expected a Golovin-like finish to her career.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Disco Bowling Champion, Pacman Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perhaps we can get mmmm8 to write one more eulogy poem?
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I never forgot her - even got to see her one last time at Indian Wells in 2011, and have some great photos of her from there. Very attractive young lady with a beautiful smile.

I was a big fan. We saw her beat Petrova at the first TAT USO Tailgate, and a lot of us really fell for her. She made a couple nice runs toward the Top 10 (know she was inside the Top 15). A few titles, a QF at a Slam, a SF at a Slam in doubles.

Always had the health issues though. I know we've ocmmented on more than one occasion here that we expected a Golovin-like finish to her career.
    I agree...She seems very nice and low-key. I watched her lose to Pennetta a few years ago at the 2009 US Open on an outside court. I think she was actually seeded and ranked in the top 20. I will never forget the sight of her leaving the court by herself without anyone noticing or asking for autographs. It was quite a sad scene.

Good luck to her! She is still young. Maybe she will make a come back a la Kim/Kimiko/any retired WTA player!

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Perhaps we can get mmmm8 to write one more eulogy poem?
    If I remember correctly, the first match I ever saw with M8 (and Scotty, Beaujarkko, Aedra and others) was Szavay/Nadia. And I don't recall M8 being all that pleased with Agnes winning the match - of course, that was the same day Agnieszka beat Sharapova, and perhaps a third Russian was upset, so I could be confusing my 2007 blonde European upstarts.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

So sad to see injuries cause a player to retire like this.
    Hopefully she'll be happy in doing whatever she chooses. She's still really young.