Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: AO '13 Day 7 OoP & Discussion

I think the top 5 guys are in a different class when it comes to fitness. A 5 setter won't disrupt Novak very much. Even Rafa who doesn't even understand the concept of conserving energy, managed to leave it all on the court twice in like 36 hours here in 2009. In large part, that's probably why they are at the top of the game.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I think the top 5 guys are in a different class when it comes to fitness. A 5 setter won't disrupt Novak very much. Even Rafa who doesn't even understand the concept of conserving energy, managed to leave it all on the court twice in like 36 hours here in 2009. In large part, that's probably why they are at the top of the game.
    True, I suppose that is why they are the best, but its a heavy toll even for a seasoned professional. The body needs a good recovery rate to go out and do it again without any impact on performance. You only have to look at Gilles Simon who needed three hours of treatment after his last match and is said to be tired for his match against Murray.

No matter how fit you are, there are going to be aches the next day and if you have over exerted there is the potential for DOMS too...Im sure Novak is used to all this and has a great team to minimise everything too.

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    So long as he stays away from the gluten
    That's funny. When in fact he was recently discussing the beers he enjoys drinking in Melbourne.
    Don't get me started - Djokovic is NOT well liked in the celiac world, where we don't have the option of just jumping on and off the gluten bandwagon whenever we feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Gilles, on his next match: "I don't have a lot of chance to win this one, but this is my job to go on the court and to do the maximum to bother him and to give him a hard time."

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/...tml?ref=tennis
    Also known as the Simon "entertainment value dixit".

A great great match, which the tournament probably needed. Fantastic effort by Stan.

Unfortunately, when you have the upper hand against Novak you really have to nail him to the floor. Easier said than done, because that's when he typically begins to play his best (we've seen it so often now). But there were perhaps a few more opportunities today than is usual - largely due to how excellent Stan was and somewhat because Novak made more routine errors than we've come to expect.

I doubt anyone else has ever defended like Novak. It's incredible. The flexibility he shows is a great metaphor for his game and how resilient he is. Bend but don't break (to borrow a phrase).

Berdych's chances go up a little, but that's all. He has quite a terrible record in this matchup. And I Imagine the points should generally be shorter than they were today.

Not that Stan had a good record. A+ Berdych is superior to A+ Wawrinka due to his dominant serve.
    The grass master

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    That was awesome stuff, until Novak ripped his shirt off again.
    This. So much good to say about this match, but I just come away rolling my eyes.

For some reason I expected Kuznetsova to beat Wozniacki and it was a good match to watch. Wozniacki is still a great player, but I feel she has lost the edge she had a year or two back.

I remember asking people whether they thought Azarenka would retain her no. 1 spot, some said no but she proved to be clinical in the latest match, even if she didnt in round 3.

Murray looks set to win his match, one set up and Simon not showing enough to contend with Murrays play.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    This. So much good to say about this match, but I just come away rolling my eyes.
    I know what you mean, its a spur of the moment act of jubilation but seems to be something of a trademark of his that is actually quite annoying. I have never got why footballers do it when they score, but it is now creeping into other sports too....what ever happened to a simple punch in the air and scream of "YES!"

Its of no surprise it is also the photo much of the media seem to be running with, of all the photos of the match itself.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

mahjong Champion, 9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Great Mahjong: Classic Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion morct's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    I find it sickening too, especially while his opponent is still sitting there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456