Suicide Pool - HOW IT WORKS

So how does a Suicide Pool work, you might ask...

Suicide pools are a very simple concept that test your ability not only to pick a winner, but to project your ultimate winner through the ups and downs of a draw. You'll also have to know what players can easily win an early round match for you, but can be counted on (at least by yourself) to falter as you go through the 14 days of a Slam.

For each day of play, you have to pick 1 - yes, just one - winner each from the men's and women's draw. That is out of all the matches played that day. But, once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So you really don't want to pick, e.g., a Djokovic to win in early matches.

To survive in the suicide pool, you will have to have gone through the successive days of picking a winner. Sure it may sound easy (and probably will be) on the first few days of play - but as you get deeper into the draws, you have to start picking based on not only who you think will win, but who is likely to lose down the road. And remember, if you are still alive come semi-final time, you are not only picking who you think would win a semi, but also who would lose the final, since you could not pick the same player again.

Men's and Women's draws are played separately. So if you lose on the men's side but are still alive on the women's, you continue playing the women's draw.

Picks will begin with the release of the Order of Play for Day 1 - you will have until play begins on Day 1 to make your selections. Your selections have to be for a Day 1 match. Subsequently, you can pick your Day 2 winner as soon as the Day 2 order of play is announced and Day 2 thread is opened, and so on. We try to open the next day's thread as soon as possible following the release of the OFFICIAL Order of Play, but there are times when we might be delayed slightly due to scheduling.

-----
    Check this board daily for any updates or rule changes that might be made due to irregularities in the tournament (such as rained out days, etc.).
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Suicide Pool - HOW IT WORKS

yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    :bleus: Allez Jo ! :bleus:

Sounds awesome !!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have never done this, so please forgive any inane questions.

Do we just post our picks here in the forum?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by EquipeOberland View Post
    I have never done this, so please forgive any inane questions.

Do we just post our picks here in the forum?
    Hi, and welcome!

Soon after the order of play for Monday is announced, threads in this subforum will be created for Day 1 on both the men´s and women´s play, and you´ll post your picks there. Each day, new threads will be posted for the next day´s schedule, where those still in the game will pick.

Here's how it works: I make picks over the first 4 or 5 days that seem generally a bit risky and I somehow luck out and get through. Then on the 5th or 6th day, I make a "no-brainer" pick of a seeded player who loses to a qualifier in straight sets......and I cry a lot in the "losers' lounge". Good luck to all. I'm excited that we're almost ready for the first 2013 Grand Slam. GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Here's how it works: I make picks over the first 4 or 5 days that seem generally a bit risky and I somehow luck out and get through. Then on the 5th or 6th day, I make a "no-brainer" pick of a seeded player who loses to a qualifier in straight sets......and I cry a lot in the "losers' lounge". Good luck to all. I'm excited that we're almost ready for the first 2013 Grand Slam. GH

That is how it really works!
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

sounds so simple, yet I never get past day 4.

At least Isner is out already

Wimbledon's really the only SP that should be easy. The others are just too difficult to know which players to save at the end. And yet, even at Wimbledon people don't win that often.
    Go Pack Go!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    Wimbledon's really the only SP that should be easy. The others are just too difficult to know which players to save at the end. And yet, even at Wimbledon people don't win that often.
    Since the only award I've ever won is from Wimbledon, I have to ask... so what's your point?
    Happy Halloween!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can get a good idea how the threads work by looking at the archived suicide pools. Here's last year's AusOpen SP.
    Happy Halloween!