Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ask Questions about the Suicide Pool Here

If you have any question at all about the 2013 Australian Open Suicide Pool, ask it in this thread. An answer will posted as quickly as possible.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Ask Questions about the Suicide Pool Here

Uh-oh, I'm going winter camping this weekend and will be offline until Sunday night. IIRC the first match will start at 7pm EST Sunday night, right? I'm going to have to leave my potential picks with someboday... Does the AO play an entire half draw on Day 1 and the other half on Day 2? Men's and women's?
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Uh-oh, I'm going winter camping this weekend and will be offline until Sunday night. IIRC the first match will start at 7pm EST Sunday night, right? I'm going to have to leave my potential picks with someboday... Does the AO play an entire half draw on Day 1 and the other half on Day 2? Men's and women's?
    I believe so, but I defer the definitive answer to someone else.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Half day 1, half day 2. I'm not sure which half goes first, though.

The AO website says Hewitt, Djokovic, Li, and Sharapova, will play on Monday. That means Day 1 is Men's top half and Women's bottom half.
    Go Pack Go!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    The AO website says Hewitt, Djokovic, Li, and Sharapova, will play on Monday. That means Day 1 is Men's top half and Women's bottom half.
    Thank you, Tog! Very helpful.

Hey, just a quick question. I've been playing this for a couple of years and always like the challenge. The farthest I've gotten was to day 8, I think. Anyway, my question is, does someone here in the forum always make it to the end? Are there always/sometimes multiple winners? I always forget to check after I lose, though this time I won't
    Thanks for running this. It's a lot of fun. !
    Kevin

Some people have great streaks and make it far for a few SPs in a row, but it is not common at all.

There are also multiple winners sometimes.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

But, often the pool is decided before the final match. We call it Beating The Draw if a player (or more than one) can make correct picks (and not run out of players to pick) all the way through the tournament on either ATP or WTA side.
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Some people have great streaks and make it far for a few SPs in a row, but it is not common at all.

There are also multiple winners sometimes.
    I think it was Herodotus who won 3 or 4 in a row few years ago. That's not counting very early ones mostly among original members of the board.
    The grass master

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think it was Herodotus who won 3 or 4 in a row few years ago. That's not counting very early ones mostly among original members of the board.
    Csgnyc had an incredible streak not long ago.

Herodotus was the first player to win three in a row (AO, French, Wimbledon - 2005), and threaten to win a Suicide Slam, but missed winning the US. And if I recall correctly, s/he is still the US short of a career Suicide Slam.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Csgnyc had an incredible streak not long ago.
    CSGnyc was our first, and remains our only, calendar Suicide Slam winner, back in 2011.
    Last edited by Moose; 01-13-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    CSGnyc was our first, and remains our only, calendar Suicide Slam winner, back in 2011.
    His/her name is not so memorable, so I had forgotten about that. Was it gender specific?
    The grass master

His/her name is not so memorable, so I had forgotten about that. Was it gender specific?
    It was all on the men's side, but I was incorrect - s/he won the '11 French, Wimbledon and US, and the '12 AO. So it was actually a Serena Suicide Slam.

How do u post a pic..it took me forever just to get registered & why do I keep having to answer these questions about how many sets etc.. i don't watch WTA so I have no clue..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast