Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Newtown Elementary School Shooting

Spontaneous vigil taking shape outside of the White House. Scaffolding is for the Inauguration.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Another case
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think it may have been posted upthread, but I haven't checked. Michigan passed a concealed weapons law yesterday, allowing concealed guns in churches, schools, etc....

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I think it may have been posted upthread, but I haven't checked. Michigan passed a concealed weapons law yesterday, allowing concealed guns in churches, schools, etc....
    The almighty 2nd Amendment.

I'm reading Friends of Friends on FB continuing to insist that weapons regulations will do nothing to curb these incidents. "Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun." I refuse to try and carry on an open minded conversation with people who don't have an open mind.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Saw this on tumblr and it made me sad

"What breaks my heart is the thought of the parents of 18 children who have to go back to their empty homes and face the Christmas presents in their closets"

Krystal Ball on MSNBC got into it a bit with Toure. Both of their fathers hunt as do many of the men in their families. Toure was taking the point of view that strong gun control and regulation is needed. Krystal was saying that the language used to discuss gun control has to be very precise otherwise the nuts will twist it into "liberals want to take away your guns". They ended up talking at each other when they were really on the same side of the argument.

That's why I'm glad the President didn't come out on fire about the need for regulation. Now is the time for mourning. Once the victims are put to rest and official mourning is over it's time for this country to talk about the easy access to guns and the difficult access to mental health care in this country.

We could also talk about the tie in the US between guns and masculinity but that would be too difficult for some.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Krystal Ball on MSNBC got into it a bit with Toure. Both of their fathers hunt as do many of the men in their families. Toure was taking the point of view that strong gun control and regulation is needed. Krystal was saying that the language used to discuss gun control has to be very precise otherwise the nuts will twist it into "liberals want to take away your guns". They ended up talking at each other when they were really on the same side of the argument.

That's why I'm glad the President didn't come out on fire about the need for regulation. Now is the time for mourning. Once the victims are put to rest and official mourning is over it's time for this country to talk about the easy access to guns and the difficult access to mental health care in this country.

We could also talk about the tie in the US between guns and masculinity but that would be too difficult for some.
    I don't usually disagree with you, Ti. But I think on this I do. History has shown us that after we're done mourning, after emotion has died down, we kick this particular can down the road. Right now people are riled up enough to be pissed off at the massive NRA lobby. I think the discussion in Washington needs to start now, today, this very minute.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

I agree with Kirkus.

The US has a ridiculously short memory.

I hope that you are both wrong Kirk and Jessie. If not now, when?

George Megalogenis ‏@GMegalogenis
    Australia suffered 13 mass murders between 1981 and 1996. In the 16 years since our gun law reforms: zero. No more excuses please America.

From Goldie Taylor.

There were four shots, one after the other. The woman next door heard men yelling. When police arrived, they found a man face down in his own blood, four bullets in his head. It was an assassination.

He’d been lured to that empty house on the promise of a small-stakes card game. The sight of the overgrown weeds and boarded up windows must have set off an alarm in his head. He immediately turned back. Before he could cross the street, he was struck in the legs with a baseball ball. Pop. There was a pause, according to the witness, and then three more pops.

It was November 5, 1973, and the dead man, Wyart Taylor, was my father. Nearly 20 years later, my brother Christopher was murdered, shot in the back of the head as he lay on the floor playing a video game. Growing up in East Saint Louis, I am all too familiar with gun violence. The doors and windows off our house were covered, like a fortress, with black metal burglar bars.

I have owned a gun nearly every day of my adult life. After escaping an abusive relationship, I joined the U.S. Marine Corps where I received basic military weapons training. But my real training came at the side of my stepfather, a former detective sergeant with our local police department. Given what happened to my father and brother, I relied on the sense of physical if not emotional security that comes with owning a gun. When I was a single mother, I used to sleep on the living room sofa near the front door—my Smith & Sigma 9mm under the cushion.

Until now, I had always believed that if we could deal effectively with our most pressing social dilemmas, including poverty and education, we would stand a better chance of eradicating gun violence. I believed that if we could just advance access to mental health services, people who needed help could actually get it. Poison isn’t poison until you drink it, I told myself.

I still believe that. But that’s the long game and we are out of time.
    By the time authorities arrived at Sandy Hook Elementary School, scores of rounds had been fired–more than 100, said one witness. In all, 26 people were slaughtered, among them 20 schoolchildren age 10 or younger.

Police recovered a semi-automatic Glock and Sig Sauer 9mm. A .223 Bushmaster rifle was reportedly found in the suspect’s vehicle. The 9mm is the same kind used by “U.S. Navy SEALs, Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies,” according to the Sig Sauer website. All of them are legally available.

Last July, it was a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado; then a Sikh Temple in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Three days ago, it was a mall in Portland, Oregon. On any given night, it’s in the streets of American cities from Los Angeles to Chicago to Atlanta. Sadly, there is a child sitting in a Chicago classroom today who is more concerned about being shot this evening than about the lesson on the chalkboard.

Last weekend alone, eight people were killed and at least 30 wounded in Chicago. In 2011, 30,000 people died by gunshot in 2011.

This is not what the Founding Fathers had in mind. The gun lobby would have you believe that if more people owned guns, the violence would diminish. Bryan Fischer, the Director of Issue Analysis for the American Family Foundation, tweeted, “… another ‘gun-free zone’ makes children sitting ducks.”

“Honor the victims,” someone else tweeted. “Don’t politicize this tragedy,” another complained. Even White House press secretary Jay Carney said this was not the day to discuss gun control.

As a gun owner, I could not disagree more. It is time, right now, to confront the culture of violence in America. It is time to tighten restrictions on legal purchases and crack down on the illegal gun trade. For starters, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired in 2004, must be renewed. Online sale of firearms should be banned altogether and the gun show loophole must be closed. Possession of an illegal firearm carries a mandatory, one-year prison sentence. It should be ten. The lion’s share of gun violence in this country is committed with cheap, illegal handguns–the kinds of guns that killed my father and brother.

The news that 20 school children were executed this morning left me speechless. And it made me think: change should start with me. I have decided to turn in my own gun.
    http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/14/ownin...to-give-it-up/

He's apparently lost friends on fb and has received death threats, I've read.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I fail to understand the need for any ordinary person (i.e. not a police officer, security guard, etc.) to carry a gun, concealed or not, period.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Apparently, if teachers had guns, they´d just shoot the guy, so let´s get all teachers guns. Actually, why not just give them to the 5-year-olds.

There is a heartbreaking handwritten note from one of the kids to his parents going around (not sure if the kid survived). I don't think it's something that should be posted publicly, so I won't post here.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Mike Huckabee apparently said that this is because Connecticut 'took God out of the schools.' AAAAAAA

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I feel badly for Ryan. Especially since I had a small hand in it.

And Mike Huckabee is an ignorant prick. Pardon my French.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast