Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Newtown Elementary School Shooting

Awful. That picture of the kids being led away in-line is powerful.

On the other hand, when will the US get its head out of its ass and stand up to the pro-gun lobby. The gun culture down there is just frightening.

Man who survived Virginia Tech on Andrea Mitchell's show is breaking down talking about it.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

The BBC and AP are reporting that one of the weapons involved was .223-caliber assault rifle (seen above)

non pixelated picture of children at the link.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...hool-shooting/

BTW that rifle is totally legal.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mental illness exists in China, the US and everywhere. But I'll take a knife over guns any day. For whatever reason (I'll save my theory for Talk About Religion) big impactful issues like gun culture/control, crime and punishment, mental health treatment, etc. are impervious to arguments based on evidence, logic, and rationality only in the United States. Every other western democracy looks at what other countries do well and uses them as a model. But that approach seems entirely beneath the US. I'll never understand willful self-destructiveness.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

For whatever reason (I'll save my theory for Talk About Religion) big impactful issues like gun culture/control, crime and punishment, mental health treatment, etc. are impervious to arguments based on evidence, logic, and rationality only in the United States.
    See the post about the NRA above.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    See the post about the NRA above.
    But that's one special interest group. 4.3 million members, which is shockingly 12-13% of all Americans. But somehow their message resonates with probably more than half of Americans. Democrats feel they simply can not bring this up as it's an instant loser topic for them.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FOX News is interviewing Mark Furman to get his thoughts on the tragedy. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    FOX News is interviewing Mark Furman to get his thoughts on the tragedy. No joke.

Apparently the protocol is that the highest ranking local official speaks before the president. In this case the WH is waiting for Governor Malloy.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Also, any right wing pundit who says "now is not the time to debate gun control" should be immediately challenged to name a time and place in the very near future when they will show up to a moderated public debate. If they decline, they should be told to STFU.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Also, any right wing pundit who says "now is not the time to debate gun control" should be immediately challenged to name a time and place in the very near future when they will show up to a moderated public debate. If they decline, they should be told to STFU.

This was not a right-wing pundit, this was Jay Carney at the White House

Yahoo! is reporting there were two gunmen, but I haven't seen this anywhere else.

http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-s...opstories.html
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Mental illness exists in China, the US and everywhere. But I'll take a knife over guns any day. For whatever reason (I'll save my theory for Talk About Religion) big impactful issues like gun culture/control, crime and punishment, mental health treatment, etc. are impervious to arguments based on evidence, logic, and rationality only in the United States. Every other western democracy looks at what other countries do well and uses them as a model. But that approach seems entirely beneath the US. I'll never understand willful self-destructiveness.
    A friend asked a similar question on FB and someone posted, "It'd kill the Wild West myth" jokingly, which I think is actually a quite valid argument.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Yahoo! is reporting there were two gunmen, but I haven't seen this anywhere else.

From what I understand, they arrested another guy, but looks like he was unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post

Not only yahoo. NBC was up until a couple of minutes ago. Now officials are saying that man detained for questioning may not have had anything to do with the shooting again according to NBC.

CNN has released a name and they're already posting his FB page on Twitter.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast