Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Newtown Elementary School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    I guess we DO need to arm teachers. ; )
    It's not a humorous subject, but that made me LOL.

The six year old in New Jersey has passed away. The four year old is said to have found the rifle under a bed and run out to show it to his friend the six year old. What happened next is unclear. There is a debate as to whether he pulled the trigger or the gun simply went off.

Toms River horror story: 6-year-old's dies from rifle shot to head

TOMS RIVER ó One of the surest signs of spring on McCormick Drive in Toms River is the children, who flock outside on the first warm evenings of the year to rediscover their bikes and play tag and other games in the yard.

That was the case Monday when, a neighbor says, 6-year-old Brandon Holt and his friend were playing "pretend shooting" in the friendís yard. Just before 7 p.m., the 4-year-old friend ran into his house and emerged moments later carrying a .22 caliber rifle.
    The gun went off and Brandon, who was about 45 feet away, was hit in the head.
    Brandon died Tuesday at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune as police investigated how the 4-year-old was able to get his hands on the gun and prosecutors considered whether to criminally charge any adults.

"Itís not good at all," Brandonís father, Ronald Holt, said in a brief telephone interview several hours before his son died. "He got shot."

A source familiar with the case identified the 4-year-oldís parents as Anthony and Melissa Senatore, who rent the house in which they live on McCormick Drive. The source, who was not allowed to discuss the matter publicly, described Anthony Senatore as an avid hunter.
    Toms River Police Chief Michael Mastronardy said at a news conference earlier Tuesday that Brandon was sitting in a go-kart in his friendís yard when he was struck from about 15 yards away. It was unclear if the younger boy pulled the trigger or if the gun accidentally discharged.

Mastronardy said the 4-year-oldís parents were in the yard when the gun went off. He and Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph Coronato declined to release any other details of the investigation, including the name of the 4-year-old or the names of his parents.
    A spokesman for Coronato, Al Della Fave, confirmed Brandonís death Tuesday evening but did not release any other details of the case.

Debi Coto, who lives in the neighborhood, said she did not hear the gunshot but saw the younger boyís mother looking upset and waving down an ambulance at around 6:45 p.m., not long after police said they received a 911 call.

Hours later, detectives took eight to 10 weapons from the 4-year-oldís home, she said. Authorities declined to say who owned the rifle that was used, whether any of the weapons were secured or if they were legally owned.
    "Obviously, a loaded gun in the house ... itís sad," Coto said.

Under New Jersey law, residents do not need to register rifles but do need to have a gun purchaserís identification card to buy them.

The 4-year-oldís home abuts a sparsely-wooded hill held back by a retaining wall in the rear. A black Ford Mustang and Nissan Titan with custom large tires were parked in the driveway, and two bicycles, a dirt bike and a deer-shaped target rested against the retaining wall.

Friends of Brandonís family said the 6-year-old was the youngest of three children and was in first grade at St. Josephís Grade School in Toms River.

"I donít even know how it happened," said Daniel Watkins, Brandonís uncle. The family, he said was simply "trying to deal with it."

Under state law, anyone who knows that a child under the age of 16 could access a loaded firearm in their home can be charged with a disorderly persons offense if they fail to securely it or install a trigger lock.

But advocates for reducing gun violence and a state lawmaker said the law is ineffective because most people donít even know it exists and prosecutors rarely, if ever, bring charges when a problem arises.

"The common reaction of prosecutors is, ĎOh, the family has suffered enough,í" said Bryan Miller, former executive director of Ceasefire NJ. "Itís not about suffering. Itís about negligence and itís about the lethality that results and these laws should be enforced."

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/20...t_to_head.html
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Something legislators are missing in the weapons debate is a law holding registered weapons owners responsible for securing their God damn weapons! You want your effing 2nd Amendment rights then act like an effing responsible adult. Damn this pisses me off.

Had Adam Lanza's mother had her weapons secured, she'd probably still be alive. And we'd probably not have a clue that there's a Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm really surprised that Toomey led the way for this compromise - very pleased, but very surprised:

Senators reach deal on background checks
    By JOHN BRESNAHAN, DAN BERMAN and REID J. EPSTEIN | 4/10/13 8:29 AM EDT

Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey will unveil a bipartisan deal to expand background checks for commercial gun sales at a news conference Wednesday morning.

The agreement could give political cover for enough Republicans to vote Thursday and exceed the 60-vote requirement needed to allow the Senate to proceed to what would be an emotional floor debate on gun control legislation.

The deal would close the so-called gun show loophole, requiring that background checks are conducted on all commercial gun sales in the country, according to a fact sheet of the bill obtained by POLITICO from a representative of one of the gun control groups involved in the talks.

When a sale occurs, the buyer and seller would meet at a licensed dealer, who would conduct the check.

“The dealer — not the government — will keep a sales record, just as they’ve been doing for 40 years,” the fact sheet states.

It would be a felony to sell a gun without a background check to a prohibited buyer or police officer.

The fact sheet stresses that the dealer records would help law enforcement trace guns recovered at crime scenes. However, person-to-person sales — the “friends and neighbors exceptions” would not be subject to a check.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) moved Tuesday night to start debate over a legislation that is a wish list for gun control advocates, filing a cloture motion setting up a Thursday vote to end a GOP filibuster of the motion to proceed to that gun bill.

The deal between Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, and Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican and the former head of the conservative Club for Growth, would be offered as an amendment to an existing Democratic gun bill.

The Manchin-Toomey press conference is at 11 a.m.

In order to gather 60 votes, Reid and other senior Democrats believe they can hold on to their own nervous members from red states, while picking up 10 or so Republicans.

The bigger problem for Reid then becomes what can actually pass the Senate. Beginning debate is far from passing a bill, and without the political cover from the Manchin-Toomey agreement, there is no guarantee that Reid could get the 60 votes he would need for a final vote on any legislation.

“We’re going to vote Thursday,” Reid confirmed on Tuesday afternoon. “I’m going to file cloture on the bill tonight. It would be a real slap in the face to the American people not to do something on background checks, on school safety, on illegal trafficking, which everybody thinks is a good idea.”

When pressed by reporters, Reid conceded that he’s going to lose some Democrats on the cloture vote. And the majority leader said he hasn’t been pressing Democrats to support a measure that is political dynamite for those in red states, many of whom are up for reelection in 2014.

Reid said that if the bill doesn’t get 60 votes to move to the floor, he would then move to hold votes on individual bills for several gun proposals, including the assault weapons ban, background checks and limits on high-capacity magazines.

Toomey represents Democrats’ last hope of reaching a compromise gun deal including background checks with record-keeping of most gun sales, a provision that gun groups and many conservatives fiercely oppose but that has broad public support. Democrats hoped that if they lured one conservative ally, then others — along with gun-friendly Democrats — would follow.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2Q4FN7cE6
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Something legislators are missing in the weapons debate is a law holding registered weapons owners responsible for securing their God damn weapons! You want your effing 2nd Amendment rights then act like an effing responsible adult. Damn this pisses me off.

Had Adam Lanza's mother had her weapons secured, she'd probably still be alive. And we'd probably not have a clue that there's a Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.
    I think I mentioned this on here or another board back when this happened. I just can't see any way to enforce it without seriously infringing rights (and spending a fortune). You can't do spot checks. The police will only find out about it when an accident happens. It would become an "add-on" charge when an arrest is made for something else, maybe. Actually, maybe during a domestic violence call, police could be empowered to inspect any known guns in the residence or something, so that's good. But in general, how could you enforce a law that says how you must secure your weapon in your home?
    ďI put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.Ē - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I think I mentioned this on here or another board back when this happened. I just can't see any way to enforce it without seriously infringing rights (and spending a fortune). You can't do spot checks. The police will only find out about it when an accident happens. It would become an "add-on" charge when an arrest is made for something else, maybe. Actually, maybe during a domestic violence call, police could be empowered to inspect any known guns in the residence or something, so that's good. But in general, how could you enforce a law that says how you must secure your weapon in your home?
    You can't and that's the point. I'm sure this man, if you had asked him, would've said that his four year old son had no idea where he kept his rifle. And you're right, unless something like this happens no one would be the wiser.

As I've said before my uncle used to hunt. His guns were in a secure locker high above the floor that only he or an adult could reach. I've seen this rifle under the bed thing portrayed on "Justified" but to have small children in the house, who get into everything, and do this is startling and dangerous. Maybe the little boy thought that it was a toy but that doesn't exempt the father's ultimate responsibility.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

So will the NRA start a campaign "Guns don't kill people, Children with guns kill people"?
    I'm thoroughly disgusted. How many children under the age of 7 have been killed this year by guns?
    Open wide.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So will the NRA start a campaign "Guns don't kill people, Children with guns kill people"?
    I'm thoroughly disgusted. How many children under the age of 7 have been killed this year by guns?
    Wasn't that just a satirical FB meme?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think if heavy (and I mean HEAVY - like jail-time heavy) penalties were levied against those whose guns were used for a crime because it wasn't secured, like in Columbine and these terrible recent shootings involving children, people might be more apt to store their weapons responsibly.

If you want to display your rifles in the back window of your pickem-up truck, I say cool. But they have to be unloaded and locked in.

If you want to keep a handgun in your bedside nightstand, I say more power to you. But, if its loaded, make sure you have a trigger lock on it. Pin the key to your jammies if you want quick access.

Too many gun related deaths occur with legally registered weapons stolen from the owner.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

In 2011, guns were used to murder 8,583 people living in the U.S., according to the most recent FBI data available. Among those murdered by guns, there were 565 young people under the age of 18, and 119 children ages 12 or younger -- the latter number nearly equivalent to six Newtown mass shootings. And these figures include only homicides.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2347920.html

There is something truly twisted about this news:
    Man shoots self in infield at NRA 500
    Starry starry night

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718