Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Re: Newtown Elementary School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    In most states, being 1 man and 1 woman for marriage. Don't worry about being in prison for rape or serial killing, you can still marry the opposite sex if you're in prison, regardless of your crime.
    But where do you go or need to do to get it?
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    But where do you go or need to do to get it?
    There's usually a marriage bureau, often in the County offices, where you go and fill out some paperwork, give them some cash and then they issue the license. When I got married a million years ago, we had to bring a witness. Ours was pregnant and the poor cashier assumed she was the bride. Embarrassment all round. When you actually get married, the bride/groom and the officiant have to sign the license. Some states require witnesses to sign. Some don't. Washington does, Georgia doesn't, for example.The officiant sends the signed license back to the county (or state) where it's recorded. If the couple want a copy to prove they're married, it'll cost them another fee. Usually only a few dollars.
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

You need a license for fishing and getting married?!
    Only if you go fishing for a wife.

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    There's usually a marriage bureau, often in the County offices, where you go and fill out some paperwork, give them some cash and then they issue the license. When I got married a million years ago, we had to bring a witness. Ours was pregnant and the poor cashier assumed she was the bride. Embarrassment all round. When you actually get married, the bride/groom and the officiant have to sign the license. Some states require witnesses to sign. Some don't. Washington does, Georgia doesn't, for example.The officiant sends the signed license back to the county (or state) where it's recorded. If the couple want a copy to prove they're married, it'll cost them another fee. Usually only a few dollars.
    Wow. Nope. That definitely doesn't exist here. You just show up (after a date and time reservation I guess) and a civil judge marries you. Witnesses are asked for.

What do the forms ask for? I mean, what's their function?

Not that I'm aware of.

So, you just can't pick up your fishing rod and go fish?

What does the marriage license procedure consist of?
    For fishing here you need a permit which could be obtained (for a fee) only after passing a short course. There is also a limit on how much fish one is allowed to catch in a given time frame.

As for marriage I don't know all details as I have never seriously considered it myself while living here, but these are the details I know from friends who have done: it is necessary to apply for a permission from a cantonal registry office, the couples intention to marry has to be publicly announced by the same office at least 5 weeks in advance to allow for any legal protests, the ceremony itself needs to have two adult witnesses, only civil marriages are legally recognised and the ceremony has to be conducted no earlier than 10 days and no later than 3 months after obtaining the permission. Same sex marriages are not recognised, the marriageable age is 16 (need parental permission if younger than 18) and it is mandatory for a woman to adopt husband's last name unless a special exemption is obtained.
    Last edited by suliso; 03-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Roger forever

Seems incredible that you need to get the state's permission to marry.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    I can't believe Switzerland makes it mandatory for a woman to take her husband's last name. Even old fashioned Ireland allows us to keep our own name if we want to.

In Ireland you have to apply for a marriage license 3 months before you get married - gives people time to think I suppose!

Regardless of who is marrying whom, I kind of like the concept of a waiting period of some significant period of time (I would consider 6 weeks to 3 months adequate). To me the best reason for this is for both parties to have time to be sure this is what they want. This should cut down on the frequency of divorce, at least somewhat. I know Iowa has a 3-day wait after one gets the license.....found that out when 2 gay friends went there to get married right after gay marriage became legal there. But many places famously have no wait at all.....e.g. Nevada (at least Nevada has always been famous for that situation, but since I don't keep up with this sort of thing, this could have changed). But in the USA, I am not aware of any significantly long waiting periods. GH

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    I can't believe Switzerland makes it mandatory for a woman to take her husband's last name. Even old fashioned Ireland allows us to keep our own name if we want to.

In Ireland you have to apply for a marriage license 3 months before you get married - gives people time to think I suppose!
    In some respects Switzerland is even more old fashioned than Ireland... In this particular case, however, it is easy to get around the rule by marrying elsewhere. Foreigners who don't have a tradition of changing last names after marriage (Italians, Spanish etc) do so.

I've heard that Denmark has the shortest waiting time for marriage in Europe although it's still few days and not on the spot like in Nevada.
    Roger forever

Although this thread is about GUNS (how did we get to marriage? ):
    There is a logic to laws regarding the GOV granting a license. It is not because of granting you "permission". They stem from men (aren't we always at fault?) being able to marry more than one woman. The original idea was for the marriage application to be posted at City Hall, where everybody could see it. If somebody knew that the scoundrel groom had some secrets around (or, lets face it, the bride), then that person could come forward.
    In previous times, with no electronic communications, it made sense. It was also highly sensitive because, in Catholic dominated societies, a marriage was a marriage, and there was no divorce. So even if the man was caught having married twice, there was a thorny issue of how to grant a divorce or nullify the second union.

Which, back to guns:
    Yes, you should apply for a gun permit, and wait a month for your permit to be granted. So, if you were going to buy the gun to shoot your lover THAT NIGHT, you could chill down. And if anybody knew you had a history of violence, such info could come out.
    Missing winter...

A very interesting link. SLATE magazine is keeping track of how many people are murdered, state by state:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._shooting.html
    Missing winter...

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

BEWARE OF 3 YEAR OLDS!!
    A cookout in Tennessee ended in tragedy over the weekend when a 3-year-old child accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Wilson County sheriff’s deputy.
    According to WSMV, the toddler found the pistol and discharged it during a gathering at Deputy Daniel Fanning’s residence on Saturday.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/0...essee-cookout/

An Indiana dad was accidentally shot to death by his 3-year-old son after the little boy got his hands on the loaded weapon as the family sat watching television, police said.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1116267
    Open wide.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

BEWARE OF 3 YEAR OLDS!!
    A cookout in Tennessee ended in tragedy over the weekend when a 3-year-old child accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Wilson County sheriff’s deputy.
    According to WSMV, the toddler found the pistol and discharged it during a gathering at Deputy Daniel Fanning’s residence on Saturday.

An Indiana dad was accidentally shot to death by his 3-year-old son after the little boy got his hands on the loaded weapon as the family sat watching television, police said.
    Meh. We all know that if a 3-year-old really wants to kill someone, they're going to find a way, with or without gun control laws.
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

BEWARE OF 3 YEAR OLDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Meh. We all know that if a 3-year-old really wants to kill someone, they're going to find a way, with or without gun control laws.
    Four year olds are sick of three year olds getting all the press.

Unbelievable story out of New Jersey. A six year old boys currently being treated for gunshot when he got to his head now police say that he was shot by his four year old neighbor this happen in Toms River last night. For we -- Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson live with the story and then how could this happen.

The parents of that six Gerald -- have to be -- their blessings. This morning simply because their child is expected to survive. The shooter and this case appears to be -- four year old neighborhood let's say a little bit more about the story and must have been a startling -- Even for the police officers who were the first to arrive on the scene around 7 PM last night the victim.

Just a child. But even more shocking is the kid with a rifle was just four years old. It's still unclear even at this hour if the younger child actually pulled the trigger or if the gun accidentally discharged.

The incident took place in the four year -- backyard. His parents -- other one who called 911 it appears the younger child got the gun from inside his own a home and brought it outside. The victim was -- medevac that the Jersey Shore.
    Medical center which is in Neptune New Jersey about seventy miles away from the scene -- Johnny and Toms River police are here on the scene. And they are the ones that are investigating the gun is a 22 caliber. Rifle the six year old victim is listed this morning.
    The above is a transcript of a video report.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/boy-s...e-say-18912984
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Four year olds are sick of three year olds getting all the press.

The above is a transcript of a video report.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/boy-s...e-say-18912984
    I guess we DO need to arm teachers. ; )
    Open wide.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast