Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Eurovision 2013: Malmö

After Loreen won the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest in Baku with the interpretive dance song "Euphoria," (video above) Sweden was given the right to host Eurovision 2013. Sweden is probably the most Eurovision-crazed country in existence, so naturally many people were happy to see them win. Most thought that they would host the 2013 contest in Stockholm's newly built Friends Arena, which would have made it the most-attended contest ever. Instead they chose to scale down the contest and send it to Malmö.

Although there aren't any human rights concerns this year, there is still controversy. Just today, the ESC bigwigs announced that instead of having a random draw to determine performance order, the producers would determine the order themselves. Although if this is done fairly it could make for a better show, it could easily lead to contest fixing allegations as, in general, positions near the end of the contest are preferable. More information on the subject can be found here

The contest will take place in mid-May, with the two semifinals on May 14th and 16th, and the final on the 18th. Returning this year is Armenia, who withdrew last year due to safety concerns in Azerbaijan. Of those who participated last year, Portugal, Greece, San Marino, and Montenegro have yet to confirm their participation. Poland, who withdrew last year, may or may not return.

National selections are already underway, with the first National Final, that of Belarus, due to take place on December 7th. Switzerland, Lithuania, and Albania will also have their finals in the month of December.
    Go Pack Go!

Re: Eurovision 2013: Malmö

Lys Assia, who won the first Eurovision back in 1956 (she's now 88), has teamed up with hip-hop group NewJack to attempt to represent Switzerland in this year's contest. Switzerland's selection is composed of 3 mini-selections by the French, German, and Italian-Swiss broadcasters, and then a national final with the winners from each.

The Swiss-German selection had around 100 videos online which anyone could vote on (I tried, but my non-fluency in German was a bit of a snag). It's that selection in which Assia participated in, and although the voting is over, the results haven't been announced yet. They will be on Monday. Lys and NewJack's song is below. It's quite the spectacle.

Go Pack Go!

BELARUS - Alyona Lanskaya - Rhythm of Love

The first song for Eurovision 2013 has been chosen! Alyona Lanskaya will represent Belarus in Malmö with "Rhythm of Love," or at least for now. Belarus has a history of changing their song, and they even did so last year when they originally selected Ms. Lanskaya as well, only to replace her a month later.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

SWITZERLAND - Heilsarmee - You And Me

Switzerland selected Heilsarmee (translation: Salvation Army) as their participant in Malmö in a 9-song national final. As the voting was 100% televoting and Heilsarmee had a huge publicity campaign, this was no surprise. Switzerland has not done well recently in Eurovision, and I doubt this year will be any different.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

BELGIUM - Roberto Bellarosa - Love Kills

Belgium alternates years for Wallonia and Flanders to choose an entry, and this was Wallonia's year to choose. Wallonia usually has songs that aren't as good as the ones Flanders selects. Belgium internally selected an artist, then picked 3 songs for an audience to choose from. Two were in English, and one in French, but it was clear that the artist could sing the French song better. Naturally, one of the English songs was chosen.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

LITHUANIA - Andrius Pojavis - Something

Lithuania had a long selection process consisting of 5 heats, 2 semifinals, and a grand final. In total, there were 45 songs involved, and to be honest it seemed as though the songs that passed to the next round may as well have been chosen at random. Andrius Pojavis was ultimately selected, although coming into the final he was one of the least hyped entries.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

ALBANIA - Adrian Lulgjuraj & Bledar Sejko - Identitet

Albania, in a final with 17 songs, chose one of them that was the least hyped coming in. They also chose the first rock song of Eurovision 2013. As this is Albania though, beware. The song will likely be translated to English and modified quite a bit. I do hope the guitar chewing stays though.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

Tomorrow marks the end of the national finals for a while, with Ukraine set to choose its song. Although there might be an entry announced internally soon (Lys Assia is rumored to be representing San Marino with the song I posted above), there isn't another national final until January 26th. After that I'll be revealing my favorite entries of the national finals that have already taken place.
    Go Pack Go!

UKRAINE - Zlata Ognevich - Gravity

Ukraine held their national final at 11 in the morning today, following up on Belgium's lead last week. They selected the most hyped singer, who ended up getting more televotes than all of the other acts combined. Her song is something of a Disney-like ballad, but even though those tend not to do so well, she is already one of the favorites for ESC 2013.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

So for each national final, I'm going to post 2-3 songs: 1 that was my favorite, 1 that was a fan favorite, and 1 that's hilariously hideous. I'll start here with Belarus:

Rhythm of Love was my favorite, so I'll skip posting one for that.

Here's something that was a fan favorite. Nuteki were popular last year as well in the national selection for Belarus.

Go Pack Go!

Now for the joke. This guy's voice is, well, there really is no word for it. You have to see it.

Go Pack Go!

Just catching up. What an awful start to this year. Switzerland is my #1 so far, I guess, but not sure they would have been top 30 for me in 2012.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    Just catching up. What an awful start to this year. Switzerland is my #1 so far, I guess, but not sure they would have been top 30 for me in 2012.
    I think it's an okay start, not great but that often happens. Ukraine is my favorite so far.
    Go Pack Go!

Now for Switzerland's national final. First, my favorite. It doesn't have the best performance, but it's a great song I think. I'll put a link to the studio version as well so you can see that.

J'avais rendez-vous studio version

Go Pack Go!

Now the fan favorite. Chiara Dubey had an entry in last year's Swiss national final as well.

Go Pack Go!

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast