Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: Eurovision 2013: Malmö

I think Denmark, Norway, and maybe Ukraine with a good revamp are the only possible winners selected so far. I'm going to hold back on revealing my favorites until all songs have been selected.
    Go Pack Go!

IRELAND - Ryan Dolan - Only Love Survives

Ireland selected a boybandish song that, if it ends up qualifying, will likely do so because of the backing singers and drummers rather than the main singer. In any case, he likely will not attract as many voters as Jedward did the last two years.

Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator
    Blog Entries

I was worried that I was the only one who thought this was looking like a weak year--unless I've missed some entries. I've tried to keep up.

That said, Denmark is my early favorite. But there are still several entries to be determined, yes?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

RUSSIA - Dina Garipova - What If

Russia chose a female ballad that already has a lot of haters, but also a lot of people saying Russia will win. Given how Russia usually does in Eurovision, I think it'll probably be in the top 10, possibly top 5, but I'll wait for more songs to see if it's a possible winner.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 03-15-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I was worried that I was the only one who thought this was looking like a weak year--unless I've missed some entries. I've tried to keep up.

That said, Denmark is my early favorite. But there are still several entries to be determined, yes?
    Exactly half (19/38) of the entries have been chosen and released. In the next week, we'll get songs from Spain, Croatia, Macedonia, Armenia, Estonia, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, and most likely Georgia.
    Go Pack Go!

SPAIN - ESDM - El Sueño de Morfeo - Contigo hasta el final

Spain internally selected a folkish band, then had a national final with 4 different songs of theirs. The song that won seems like it wants to be something other than a ballad, especially with the bagpipe beginning, but ends up being just that. Another song in the selection was more like Denmark's entry this year.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator
    Blog Entries

Tog, it appears the video of the Russian entry has been removed.

GEORGIA - Sophie & Nodi - Waterfall

Georgia's internally selected song is a ballad composed by Thomas G:son, the composer of last year's winner, Euphoria (as well as Spain's entry, Quédate Conmigo). This one's not going to do as well as either of those.

Go Pack Go!

CROATIA - Klapa s Mora - Mižerja

Croatia first chose a song, then found a traditional klapa (klapa essentially means group in Croatian) to sing it. This entry should be different from any of the others, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Go Pack Go!

Tog, it appears the video of the Russian entry has been removed.
    Should be fixed now.
    Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    Should be fixed now.
    Thanks, Tog. When I was looking for it online earlier, I saw some articles/videos suggesting that the Russian song is plagiarized (from several other songs). In any case, it's my new favorite so far, but I'm horribly biased when it comes to that kind of song content. I lose all objectivity.

Thanks, Tog. When I was looking for it online earlier, I saw some articles/videos suggesting that the Russian song is plagiarized (from several other songs). In any case, it's my new favorite so far, but I'm horribly biased when it comes to that kind of song content. I lose all objectivity.
    I heard about one of those songs, listened to it, and it's not that similar. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Did you see the accusations about Germany's song as well? Some people said it was plagiarism of Euphoria (quite stupid really, the only similarity those two songs have is their genre), and others said it stole parts from Swedish House Mafia's Don't You Worry Child. The comparison to Euphoria was thoroughly researched and rightfully disproved (G:son himself even said it wasn't plagiarism), but the one to Don't You Worry Child wasn't, and I think that was the comparison that made more sense.
    Go Pack Go!

MACEDONIA - Esma & Lozano - Imperija

Macedonia internally selected two artists from two different genres, folk queen Esma Redzepova and Pop/Rock artist Vlatko Lozanoski. The song they made together has the potential to take Eurovision by storm, or crash and burn.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

By that kind of song content, I suppose you mean songs supporting peace? In that case, did you like Finland 2011?
    Go Pack Go!

I'd say Spain's entry is more of a rock band with celtic influences (although, they have folk influences too, but this is just nit-picking). They're from Asturias, with the exception of the singer who is from the Canary Islands, so the celtic music influence makes sense.
    Anyway, I like it, but I'm not especially wowed by it like I was with last year's entry.

I also like Denmark's.

I sort of feel underwhelmed with the entries this year. Like Dry, I feel like it's a weak year....so far (more entries to come, of course)
    Last edited by Jay; 02-28-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast