Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Eurovision 2013: Malmö

As promised, Slovakia 2010:

Go Pack Go!

ICELAND - Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson - Ég á Líf

Iceland's final, Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins, was, as usual, full of good songs compared to the rest of the national finals. Jóhanna, Iceland's 2009 representative, and Birgitta, their 2003 entrant, both participated, but Jóhanna failed to qualify for the final (believe me, her song wasn't deserving of it) and Birgitta failed to make the final 2. In the end, a ballad reminiscent to some of Estonia 2012 was selected.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

MALTA - Gianluca Bezzina - Tomorrow

Malta somehow managed to get 24 participants in their national final (their population is around 450,000), and they filled 2 straight nights with loads of advertisements and crappy interval acts. They ended up selecting a song from a doctor (singers in Malta don't make enough money to do only that). The choice was surprising, given the hype a winner of the Swedish version of American Idol received beforehand.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

I've also updated the older videos of selected songs that had been taken off of YouTube. Check back in the thread if you haven't already seen them.
    Go Pack Go!

FINLAND - Krista Siegfrids - Marry Me

Finland selected a Finnoswede for the third straight year. This minority in their country seems to vote in much greater numbers than the Finnish majority. Her song that was selected is an uptempo one that is reminiscent of Katy Perry.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

NORWAY - Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love

Norway chose an electro-pop entry that seems to be very polarizing. It also seems to me to be the most likely entry selected so far to win the entire contest.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

I wanted to share a tennis-related video pertaining to Eurovision. Denmark's entry has been mashed up with Jerzy Janowicz's outburst at the AO this year. It's good fun.

Go Pack Go!

CYPRUS - Despina Olympiou - An Me Thimase

Cyprus internally selected a love song from Despina Olympiou. She is a fairly well-known singer there, and I expect her to be able to sing well live, but the song is possibly elements it needs to do well at ESC.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

SLOVENIA - Hannah Mancini - Straight Into Love

Slovenia's singer is an American, and they selected an uptempo dance song that is quite the departure from the ethno-ballads of the previous two years. I don't think that departure will help them much though.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

GERMANY - Cascada - Glorious

Here's a band you've probably heard of. Cascada is quite possibly the most popular act in the USA ever to enter Eurovision. Despite a stiff challenge from a Bavarian brass band, Cascada won the German national final. Their song is somewhat like last year's winner, Euphoria, but different enough to possibly make an impact at Eurovision.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

I'll change the flags back to what they were tomorrow hopefully. There's also going to be two more countries (Latvia and Austria) selecting their songs this weekend.
    Go Pack Go!

AUSTRIA - Natália Kelly - Shine

Austria had a small 5-song national final in which the artists each sung a song that won a past Eurovision contest, then followed with their entries. They selected a ballad that is highly reminiscent of their 2011 entry, but which I think will likely do better than that one did.

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 02-15-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

LATVIA - PeR - Here We Go

Latvia selected a boy band that will probably end up being the closest thing to Jedward. They don't have quite as big a following though, and Latvia doesn't have as good a record in Eurovision of late as Ireland does either.

Go Pack Go!

GREECE - Koza Mostra feat. Agathonas Iakobidis - Alcohol Is Free

Greece had a 4-song national final that included many former winners, and ended up choosing an ethnic band with a song entirely in Greek except for the three word chorus: Alcohol is free.

Go Pack Go!

I am proud to be Latvian with how ridiculous that is. Really still think it's a weak field so far, but if I have to pick anything to win of this group it's gotta be Denmark or Austria. That Norwegian one is just too weird.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast