Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Congratulations to Craig Hickman!

Elected to the House: Winthrop's Hickman a no-nonsense 'walking improbability'
    By Bill Nemitz bnemitz@mainetoday.com
    Columnist

I have two words for Republicans who wonder, in the wake of last week's shellacking at the polls, what Maine's resurgent Democrats have that they don't:

Craig Hickman.

He's black.

He's gay.

He's an organic farmer who's more than happy to give away as much as a quarter of the food that he and his partner, Jop Blom, raise on their 25-acre piece of heaven right in the heart of central Maine.

And, oh yes, one more thing. For the next two years, Hickman, 45, will represent his hometown of Winthrop and neighboring Readfield in the Maine House of Representatives.

"A friend of mine says I am a walking improbability," mused Hickman during a break from Thursday's orientation at the State House for rookie lawmakers. "I like to just think that I have faith in people. I've always had faith in people."

It appears to be mutual. In the race to replace Rep. Patrick Flood, a popular Republican who was prevented by term limits from seeking re-election, Hickman beat Republican Scott Davis, 59 percent to 41 percent.

That, no doubt, is big news around the coffee counters of Winthrop and Readfield. At the same time, far beyond House District 82, Hickman's victory speaks volumes about the strikingly different trajectories of Maine's two major political parties.

On the rise, we see a Democratic Party that finds strength in the diversity of its members, not to mention its candidates.

In total tailspin, we see a Republican Party led by soon-to-be-ex-Chairman Charlie Webster and his visions of "hundreds" of mysterious "black people" stuffing ballot boxes in rural communities where nobody knew their names.

Black strangers sneaking around rural Maine's polling places? Care to comment, Rep.-elect Hickman?

"I tend not to pay attention to nonsense," Hickman replied tactfully. "That's just me."
    http://www.kjonline.com/news/elected...012-11-15.html

Thank you for that, Craig.
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

Holla!

Craig, I loved that article you included from "Maine Today". I am still totally thrilled about your win. Despite my disparaging remarks about the steepness of Maine's mountains much earlier, I really loved Maine (well, most of the time). But I love it even more knowing that you could be elected to represent a couple of small towns in a state with an overwhelming white majority. It gives me such faith in some parts of the country........Basically, this was BY FAR the best election of my lifetime, for all sorts of wonderful reason.
    Congratulations, again.......Glenn

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I just read that from the Facebook link, great article.

I followed the link to the Wikipedia page, and was rather stunned at the list of members of the state house. 151 members? For a very sparsely-populated state? Given how Americans dislike bureaucracy/governemnt, that seems like a shockingly high number. Couldn't you run the state with a third as many legislators?

(On a totally unrelated note, speaking of American contradictions, I'm totally baffled, in the aftermath of the huge Toronto-Miami MLB trade, that governments in the supposedly free-enterprise USA constantly shell out to build sports stadiums for mega-rich owners. The owners of the Toronto hockey/basketball teams had to build their own arena. Of course, this was largely because the government got burned so badly in building the Skydome 15 years earlier.)

On the rise, we see a Democratic Party that finds strength in the diversity of its members, not to mention its candidates.

In total tailspin, we see a Republican Party led by soon-to-be-ex-Chairman Charlie Webster and his visions of "hundreds" of mysterious "black people" stuffing ballot boxes in rural communities where nobody knew their names.

Craig, to use your words in relation to the above...

Say that again!!!

This says it all. I thought about you when I heard Webster's comments about the "roving bands of black people" in rural Maine. SMH.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Congrats Craig. Maddow just tweeted that article
    Last edited by omess; 11-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Rachel Maddow's latest tweet (go ahead, click the link ):

Rachel Maddow MSNBC ‏@maddow
    The antidote to this week's disgusting news from the Maine GOP: http://is.gd/9YGo3x

(Sorry, omess. I didn't see your post before posting this one.)

Screen Shot 2012-11-16 at 11.58.27 AM.png
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Conservative David Frum also retweeted the aicle

Conservative David Frum also retweeted the article.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Really!? Wow!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

No WAY

Shut up! Thrilling.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast