Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Predictions: Week of 102212

This contest is closed to new participants.. If you participated in the contest since January 1,2010 or you signed up on or before Sunday December 24,2011, you are eligible to participate.

We have three events to predict this week. The ATP is playing at Basel and Valencia while the WTA will be playing the WTA Championships at Istanbul.

Please see below for bracket availability and prediction deadlines

ATP BRACKETS

Basel : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...12ATPBASEL.htm Predictions will be due before start of play on Thursday at 2 PM local (USA:8 AM EST - 5 AM EST) with 3 freebies

Valencia : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...TPVALENCIA.htm Predictions will be due before start of play on Thursday at 1 PM local (USA:7 AM EST - 4 AM PST) with 3 freebies

WTA BRACKETS

Istanbul : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...TAISTANBUL.htm

Here's how the WTA Championships works. We pick all fifteen singles matches. Also, we predict the doubles winners only. The players compete against each player in their group. The two players with the best record in each group are the semifinalists (so it helps to be familiar with tiebreak scenarios). But remember, you must specify the four semifinalists based on your predicted round robin results.

All match predictions--all the way up to the final--must be made before the scheduled start of play Tuesday, October 23 at 5 PM local time (10 AM USA EST - 7 AM USA PST).

The singles scores will count toward your WTA scores. Correct doubles predictions will count toward your Bonus scores.

We also want to remind our contestants who qualified for the Race to Istanbul contest that their singles predictions will decide the medals for that contest. Again, the qualifiers and alternates are:

1. Patrick3
    2. Omegadoom
    3. PeterSkan
    4. FEBravo
    5. Miles
    6. Evil Juju
    7. JTContinental
    8. Tennis Anyone74

1st Alternate: Martini4me
    2nd Alternate: Ribbons

PICKS:

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at:
    http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...12allpicks.htm
    Last edited by patrick; 10-25-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Re: Predictions: Week of 102212

How are the points calculated for Istanbul? Is it one point per right result in the RR? Additional points for the right SFs? If you have the right finalist or winner but wrong Semi-finalist, do you get any points? Sorry for all these questions, but it seems pretty unique so would like to get a sense of how the scoring will work.

Quote Originally Posted by FEBravo View Post
    How are the points calculated for Istanbul? Is it one point per right result in the RR? Additional points for the right SFs? If you have the right finalist or winner but wrong Semi-finalist, do you get any points? Sorry for all these questions, but it seems pretty unique so would like to get a sense of how the scoring will work.
    Each match win in the RR is 2 points. Each correct semifinalist is 4 points. Each correct finalist is 6 points. Correct winner is 8 points.

On the bolded question, the right finalist or winner would be a correct semifinalist as your prediction is being made.

So if I pick the correct SFs but in the wrong order in the group, I obviously won't get points for the wrong RR predictions which resulted in those SFs but will get points for the correct SFs. That's clear now. Thanks!

Less than 22 hours before Istanbul is due

Patrick,
    This is my first year in the Prediction Challenge, so I haven't seen the how the Istanbul tournament is run. For the eight TAT finalists, are the medals awarded based on
    1) points earned at Istanbul, or
    2) points earned at Istanbul plus all of the points earned during the Race to Istanbul?

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    Patrick,
    This is my first year in the Prediction Challenge, so I haven't seen the how the Istanbul tournament is run. For the eight TAT finalists, are the medals awarded based on
    1) points earned at Istanbul, or
    2) points earned at Istanbul plus all of the points earned during the Race to Istanbul?
    Medals are based on points earned at Istanbul only.

I picked Kvitova to make the SFs. So unless Sam comes up with two big wins, looks like my medal chances are toast

So what happens now ... Whatever we predicted for Kvitova is transposed to Sam? That would make sense.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

I put Kvitova in the semis too, and we're all out of luck. The predictions allowed us to choose an alternate for any of the matches. We could have put Stosur into the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I put Kvitova in the semis too, and we're all out of luck. The predictions allowed us to choose an alternate for any of the matches. We could have put Stosur into the semis.

Presumably, no one put Stosur in the semis, so if she makes it, it gives those of us who picked Kvitova a bit of hope. Anyone who put A-Rad right now has a slight edge, but it's still quite early.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    But you can't pick both a main draw player and an alternate in case the main draw player withdraws after the start of the tourney. So you would have to guess that somebody is going to crash during the tourney.

I always figured the purpose of having the alternates as far as the Prediction Game was concerned was if somebody withdrew before the start of the tourney, then the matrix is already set up. That's why I figured Kvitova pickers should get credit for Stosur, since it's really a question of substitution.

Oh well!
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by FEBravo View Post
    I picked Kvitova to make the SFs. So unless Sam comes up with two big wins, looks like my medal chances are toast
    I don't think that Sam's wins count for us. If it makes you feel any better, I have Kvitova in the semis, too, so my medal chances are also probably toast.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I don't think that Sam's wins count for us. If it makes you feel any better, I have Kvitova in the semis, too, so my medal chances are also probably toast.
    I meant that no one probably picked Sam, so if she makes it, everyone is in the same boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast