Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

New chat tutorial

You should see a new bar at the bottom of the forum.

New Chat Bar:

This new bar allows you to access our new chat system along with some other stuff. This thread includes a quick tutorial, and is also the place to post questions about our new chat system. I'll answer any questions as quickly as I can.

If you don't want to view this bar all the time, you can click the icon on the far right to hide it:

Close the Chat Bar:

If you want to open the chat bar, click the little text bubble icon at the far right.

Open the Chat Bar:

The icons from left to right.

Home Button (Takes you TAT's Home Page):

Chatrooms (Opens a list of current chatrooms):

Lobby Tab: Lists all available chatrooms.

Create Chatroom Tab:
    Allows you to create a temporary chatroom. You can create a "Public" room which is available to all TAT members. "Password Protected" room which is only available to TAT members whom you've given the password to. "Invitation Only" room which is only available to TAT friends whom you invite to join.

Popout Tab:
    This will open a new, separate window that is NOT attached to the chat bar.

TATChat Tab: This will allow you to join the permanent chat room, TATChat.

Announcements (Lists old announcements):

Site-wide announcements will appear as a small pop-up on the right-hand side of the chat bar immediately after they're made. These announcements might include important information about running contests, or as reminders of impending down-time. These announcement pop-ups will disappear after several seconds. You can view old announcements by clicking the announcements icon on the left-hand side of the chat bar.

Share (Allows you to share the current forum page through other social media sites):

Facebook (Opens a small pop-up window which will display TAT's Fan Page from Facebook):

Twitter (Opens a small pop-up window which will display recent TATTweets):

Top of Page Button (Click on this to be taken to the top of the current page):

Friends Online (#):

The number in parenthesis indicate how many of your TAT friends are currently available for one-on-one chats. Clicking on this will open a small pop-up window that will list your friends. Those friends who are online and available to chat one-on-one will have a green light icon to the right of their name.

To chat one-on-one with a friend, simply click their name and a new chat between the two of you will begin. Type in the bottom area and press the "Enter/Return" key to chat.

In this one-on-one chat window you can:
    - Select a smiley to post.
    - Play a 2-player game with your friend.
    - Hide/Show chat times.
    - Completely clear the chat window of all posts.
    - Block the user.
    - Report an inappropriate chat.

Two-player Games:

Chat Options:

With the Chat Options pop-up window you can set your chat status by clicking on one of the 4 defaults, or typing a custom status and clicking the "Set my status" button. You can also set your preferred notifications (on/off) and manage your list of blocked users.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: New chat tutorial

The one-on-one chat can only be used with designated "Friends" on TAT. So if you think you'll want to use the one-on-one chat, you're going to want to make sure you have the TAT members listed as "Friends" that you want to include.

You can do that by going here: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...p?do=buddylist

and using the "Add a Member to Your List..." text field at the bottom of the page.

Or go to a members profile and click "+Add as Friend" in the left column under the member's profile picture and a friend request will be sent.

The other member must accept the friend request before you're "friends".

TWO PLAYER GAMES!!!!??? SHUT THE HUG UP!!!!!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    TWO PLAYER GAMES!!!!??? SHUT THE HUG UP!!!!!
    I KNOW!!! RIGHT!!?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your work on this, Kirkus.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Thanks for your work on this, Kirkus.
    You're welcome!

::

I think when there are people in TATChat, it will display a little number (of people) next to "Chatrooms" at the bottom left. I think. As this is used, we'll discover little things like that.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Can others confirm that the "Friends Online" chat box at the right does NOT sync correctly with the friends who are actually on TAT.

For instance, I'm showing 7 "friends" on TAT (indicated by a + next to their names at the bottom of the main forum page), yet only 1 is indicated in the "Friends Online (1)" at the bottom right.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Mine currently says four friends online. When I click, it has a green light next to four people and at the bottom of the forum home page all four of those people are online with a plus next to their names.

I haven't looked at this yet, but it seems awesome.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Mine currently says four friends online. When I click, it has a green light next to four people and at the bottom of the forum home page all four of those people are online with a plus next to their names.
    OK. So maybe it's working correctly. I PMed someone who I thought should be in the Friends Online list as available to chat but it turns out they'd marked themselves as unavailable.

I try and watch this new stuff real close at first to make sure it's working right.

For instance, not all avatars are showing up in the Friends Online list. Only some of the avatars are. I've got tech support looking into that.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I haven't looked at this yet, but it seems awesome.
    I hope so! I hope it works well and that our members use it.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Here's a suggestion for our TATChat users. You'll notice a little broom icon at the top. Clicking this will completely erase the current chat. Maybe the last one out of the room should "turn off the lights" -- click the broom to empty the chat.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Neat. Seems like this was probably a lot of work to build.

"Turning off the lights"... maybe it should be done via background script that checks for say an hour of inactivity? Scrubbing active chat history seems like an odd thing to have user-end control over. Is it bad that my mind immediately went to ways to troll chats?

EDIT: To answer your question, yes I do have a discrepancy between "Active Members" showing and 0 Friends Online below.
    Last edited by James7; 09-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    I disapprove of this message

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Neat. Seems like this was probably a lot of work to build.

"Turning off the lights"... maybe it should be done via background script that checks for say an hour of inactivity? Scrubbing active chat history seems like an odd thing to have user-end control over. Is it bad that my mind immediately went to ways to troll chats?

EDIT: To answer your question, yes I do have a discrepancy between "Active Members" showing and 0 Friends Online below.
    Chat trolling? Us?

The idea behind it, and the reason I went with this system (I didn't build it -- some things are easier to just buy. LOL.) is because it offered the most user-control. Password protected rooms, invite-only rooms, private one-on-one chat, etc. We're making a subtle move towards offering, quite frankly, more "cliquish" options.

::

The Friends Online chat list should only coincide with TAT Friends, not all active online members.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post

The Friends Online chat list should only coincide with TAT Friends, not all active online members.
    That's what I meant. I show people with the friend "pluses", but no online friends in the bar below.
    I disapprove of this message

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast