Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 TAT Olympics Contest: The Royal Purple Box Lounge

Want to talk about how good you are at predicting all types of tennis results in all disciplines? Here's the place to do it:

Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 07-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Go Pack Go!

Re: 2012 TAT Olympics Contest: The Royal Purple Box Lounge

So far this is fun fun fun fun!

I'm a little surprised no one has taken China or Poland yet. I considered both of them heavily.

The 1 pointers are Lichtenstein and Paraguay, WTA players Vogt and Cepede Royg, respectively.

I'm curious what the thought process was for anyone who had a point left over. I went with Cepede Royg because she's a little bit younger, a little bit higher ranked, and has actually played a match on grass before (destroyed by Rezai in Wimbledon qualies this year).

Vogt was the name I recognized, though. If I hadn't looked them up I would have picked her.

The fun thing is, this part of the contest could actually come down to little countries like that because many teams will have a similar top 3-5 big countries.
    Last edited by munchin; 07-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post

I'm a little surprised no one has taken China or Poland yet. I considered both of them heavily.

The 1 pointers are Lichtenstein and Paraguay, WTA players Vogt and Cepede Royg, respectively.

I'm curious what the thought process was for anyone who had a point left over. I went with Cepede Royg because she's a little bit younger, a little bit higher ranked, and has actually played a match on grass before (destroyed by Rezai in Wimbledon qualies this year).

Vogt was the name I recognized, though. If I hadn't looked them up I would have picked her.

The fun thing is, this part of the contest could actually come down to little countries like that because many teams will have a similar top 3-5 big countries.
    Rectified
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post

I also considered Poland for a while since Radwanska has a great chance to medal in singles but in the end I thought it was too expensive compared with other countries such as Britain and Switzerland which also have great chances to medal.

You're right that this leg of the contest could come down to the small countries. That said, I personally didn't pick any of them except Ukraine because the points are so top-heavy, so I doubled down on countries I thought would medal Ukraine pushed it to exactly 500.

I am curious about other people's rationales for selecting their countries though.

Quote Originally Posted by ropeADope View Post
    I also considered Poland for a while since Radwanska has a great chance to medal in singles but in the end I thought it was too expensive compared with other countries such as Britain and Switzerland which also have great chances to medal.

You're right that this leg of the contest could come down to the small countries. That said, I personally didn't pick any of them except Ukraine because the points are so top-heavy, so I doubled down on countries I thought would medal Ukraine pushed it to exactly 500.

I am curious about other people's rationales for selecting their countries though.
    The three I knew I wanted were U.S., Switzerland and Poland. Then I went with Israel (because of Erlich and Ram's experience), Bulgaria (because its two stars can pull surprises on grass) and Croatia (solid team). Everything else was just filler to get me from 490 to 500.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I really wanted to pick Liechtenstein because there's a good chance I'm related to Stephanie Vogt, but I couldn't bring myself to believe she'll actually win a match.
    Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    I really wanted to pick Liechtenstein because there's a good chance I'm related to Stephanie Vogt, but I couldn't bring myself to believe she'll actually win a match.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    The .2% of your points total was too expensive for you!? Poor poor Stephanie.

If I knew for sure I was related to her I would've picked her. Here's my reasoning though: Her last name is my mother's maiden name, and my mom's ancestors emigrated from Liechtenstein.
    Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    The three I knew I wanted were U.S., Switzerland and Poland. Then I went with Israel (because of Erlich and Ram's experience), Bulgaria (because its two stars can pull surprises on grass) and Croatia (solid team). Everything else was just filler to get me from 490 to 500.
    I like the Bulgarians too and am considering dumping Canada to fit them in. Not sure what other countries I would pick to get to 500 though. I'll probably wait until the draws come out so that I don't get burned when the first rounders are Dimitrov-Federer and Pironkova-Serena.

Wimbledon Enthusiast
    Awards Showcase

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

I really wanted to have both the US and Czech Republic on my team but had to drop the Czechs cause of points. I really think the Chinese Taipei can cause some trouble in there since both Lu and Hseish have proven to be decent on grass (if my memory is correct).

I really picked my top 3 to be medalers and the rest to do some damage in there.
    Wimbledon '04 - US Open '06 - Australian Open '08 - French Open '12 - French Open '14

I picked three countries that I figure will win a good number of the medals, and then based my others mostly on who has performed well during the past few months. I'm relying on hot players to play well.

Also, I had 1 point left and picked Liechtenstein because the woman from Paraguay's name reminded me of The Human Centipede.

Has anyone chosen Spain? I thought their value was a little overinflated without Nadal.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 07-23-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I picked three countries that I figure will win a good number of the medals, and then based my others mostly on who has performed well during the past few months. I'm relying on hot players to play well.

Has anyone chosen Spain? I thought their value was a little overinflated without Nadal.
    Relying on hot players or "hot players"

I wonder if Spain's value was calculated before Rafa withdrew?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I thought about Spain, but it was too expensive for it's current content.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by lukeorion View Post
    I really wanted to have both the US and Czech Republic on my team but had to drop the Czechs cause of points. I really think the Chinese Taipei can cause some trouble in there since both Lu and Hseish have proven to be decent on grass (if my memory is correct).

I really picked my top 3 to be medalers and the rest to do some damage in there.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Relying on hot players or "hot players"

I wonder if Spain's value was calculated before Rafa withdrew?
    No, they were recalibrated after he withdrew.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast