Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 TAT Olympics Contest: Questions

If you have any questions regarding the contest, ask them here, and we will be more than happy to answer them.
    Go Pack Go!

Re: 2012 TAT Olympics Contest: Questions

Can you give examples of how the scoring will actually work for the fantasy leg as described in this thread?

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...-Tennis-Points
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Miles, have you read the Overview Thread? There's a more detailed explanation there.

Here's how these three legs will combine to make a whole. In each leg, the contestant with the highest score will be given 100 points. Then the other scores will be expressed as a fraction of the highest contestant's score. Finally, the scores from each leg will be added together, making it so the highest possible score will be 300 points.

For example, suppose Contestant A scored 5000 in the Fantasy Tennis leg, and his/her score was the highest one. Then Contestant A's weighted score would be 100 points for that leg. Now suppose Contestant B scored 3000 in the Fantasy Tennis leg. Since Contestant B's score was .6*Contestant A's score, Contestant B's weighted score for that leg would be .6*100=60.
    http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...ntest-Overview

Tog, did you create this contest? Were you a math major? I am absolutely loving this entire thing and have massive mathematics erection right now.

This got to be the most complicated TAT contest ever! This side of Peterskan's event of course
    Last edited by suliso; 07-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Roger forever

So there is going to be a YCWJ thread up soon as well then?

It says we have one pick per draw? So not the usual four?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    So there is going to be a YCWJ thread up soon as well then?

It says we have one pick per draw? So not the usual four?
    The overview thread says it's only one per draw (so four total), but that we have to rank them in order of importance.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    This got to be the most complicated TAT contest ever! This side of Pereskan's even of course

I'm drooling though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post

I'm drooling though.
    This is such an ambitious contest - I'm pretty excited, even though I have no idea what a good strategy would be.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Miles, have you read the Overview Thread? There's a more detailed explanation there.

Tog, did you create this contest? Were you a math major? I am absolutely loving this entire thing and have massive mathematics erection right now.
    Yes, and yes.
    Go Pack Go!

Pics or STFU
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    Yes, and yes.
    In that case, have you ever played European board games? They're all created by mathematicians. Crazy fun.

I don't think I've played too many of them. I should start.

Oh, and I should say that if you're drooling over the mathematics involved, you should see how I determined the points per country.
    Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 07-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

Will there be any adjustments to the country points for cases where players have withdrawn?
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    Will there be any adjustments to the country points for cases where players have withdrawn?
    No, as too many contestants have posted their teams already.
    Go Pack Go!

Just read the H2H thread. It seems neat! I have a question about the prediction itself.

Deciding the Winner
    Points will be awarded proportionally to the winner; which will be decided using the following criteria:
    1. Correct winner of the match
    2. Correct number of sets in the match
    3. Closest number of total games

4. Tiebreak questions that will be posed

So a prediction for a match will look something like this:
    Contestant A. Berdych d. Wawrinka 6-2/6-3.
    Contestant B. Berdych d. Wawrinka 7-5/4-6/6-2
    It seems unnecessary to actually make up a score. Couldn't these predictions be represented as

Contestant A: Berdych d Wawrinka: 2 sets, 17 games
    Contestant B: Berdych d Wawrinka: 3 sets, 30 games?

It seems like that's what you'll be counting to score it anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast