Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: TAT's getting new digs

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Hate to say this...but any ones else getting tons more spam since signing up for this? May be coincidence, but my daily spam has tripled.
    After seeing this I did a fair amount of research, including a discussion with the tech support forum over at phpFox. No other user of their software is seeing this issue.

I've noticed an increase also, in the past several months, in spam that I receive. I think "tripled" sounds about right. But, after reading your post, I checked and all of my "newish" spam is coming to my personal address, which has no association to our test site. I've registered several accounts on the test site and none of the email addresses I've used is receiving any spam.

I honestly don't think it's related, ptmcmahon.

My personal address (receiving all the new spam), not associated with our test site, is the email address connected to my FB account. I don't know if that's related or not.

::

Having said that, I'd love to hear from our other testers. Have you noticed an increase in spam since joining the test site, or can you confirm that you haven't?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I honestly don't think it's related, ptmcmahon.

My personal address (receiving all the new spam), not associated with our test site, is the email address connected to my FB account. I don't know if that's related or not.
    Good to hear then! My email is connected to our new site and my FB account so it's just as likely FB is getting me more spam.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Good to hear then! My email is connected to our new site and my FB account so it's just as likely FB is getting me more spam.
    I'm not on the new site, my FB account is dormant though I do log into it now and then, but I have also seen a huge uptick in spam -- almost all of it from "Jen".

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Sounds like it's probably FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I'm not on the new site, my FB account is dormant though I do log into it now and then, but I have also seen a huge uptick in spam -- almost all of it from "Jen".
    Thanks for that. I appreciate the confirmation.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

I haven't gotten any more spam than I usually do. *Shrugs*
    I also use gmail, btw. Maybe some email accounts are more prone to getting more spam?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

After working on this project, just about daily, since April, and many hours of testing and retesting by our volunteers, I'd planned to open it to you all following the US Open and run it side by side with this, our current forum. In fact we'd planned on running a Suicide Pool for Shanghai on the new site to give our most popular contest a test run (thank you, Moose ). However, while setting up and running a final test before doing so, I've discovered a major incompatibility between the "new digs" and the way we've done things for so many years. Had I done some SP testing several months ago I'd have discovered this problem much earlier. I don't want to get too wonky or too long-winded about it, so let me just say that the way the new site sits, this incompatibility is a deal-breaker.

The "new digs" project isn't dead. In fact, I still believe it's the future of TAT. But as of right now, the project is on hold indefinitely. We'll remain on our current forum-platform.

However, in an attempt to move forward in my belief that we need to change with the times, I'll be making some additions to our current forum in the coming days and weeks.

The first addition will be that of a modern chat system. I know the current system isn't popular and isn't being used. Just because I'm not a user of TATChat doesn't mean I don't realize that many of you are. Some of you will probably doubt this, but I consider TAT our sandbox, not my sandbox.

I've been looking at systems that are compatible with our forum and will be installing a new one within the next few days. It's much like the system I posted a link to elsewhere just a few days ago. It will have both "group" chat like what you're used to, but will also have one on one private chat, among a few other nice things.

I don't want to whine too loudly, but I'm very disappointed that I've hit this snag in the new community software. A lot of time and money has gone into it's development this year and the fact that I'm not able to keep the schedule of it's launch is a real bummer for me... and several of our volunteers who really like it too.

I have to publicly thank those volunteers who have spent many MANY hours on it. Especially Ti-Amie and Luvs10s who, for much of the past 5 months, spent almost as much time over there as they did here. Seriously, all of you, thank you so much.

We'll see what the future holds.

I know you were excited with the new digs project, but just to let you know:
    The old digs are alright
    At least to me

ps: DO NOT, and I mean, DO NOT run a Shanghai SP. I can only take so many defeats in one year
    Missing winter...

That's too bad. Thanks for all the work you do Kirkus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234