Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is Pres Obama set to endorse same sex marriage?

I think making it an issue during the election would hurt him more than help him
    Even what he said today is gonna do that, though, I think.
    Last edited by Jay; 05-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.

I´ve wanted Obama to nut up for a while and make a stand on this, but it seems like poor timing. It sounds like he is in danger of simultaneously annoying his base and riling up the other.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    He supports the right of states to decide on their own, but condemns North Carolina for deciding on its own not to support?

Freaking political doublespeak.
    Right!?

Who knows now. Maybe the NY Times was correct. MSNBC only showed a short short short clip of the interview. The President may have said more on a policy front then they played.

Semantics. Politics. Doublespeak. I wish American politics would allow them to say what they mean.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Sorry. I didn't realize that video clip was cut short. Apparently ABC News, in their haste to get it out (or the desire for people to have to visit their website) cut it short.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Sorry. I didn't realize that video clip was cut short. Apparently ABC News, in their haste to get it out (or the desire for people to have to visit their website) cut it short.
    Robin did the interview. They need it for GMA.

Two weeks ago, GMA beat Today for a weeks' ratings for the first time in 16 years. It's also sweeps month. ABC won't be releasing anything but bare bones until the interview plays, and GMA gets the ratings bump this interview was secured to deliver.

BTW, can I take the opportunity to say how much I love Robin Roberts? Damn, she has matured into an excellent newscaster/presenter, and I think she has great presence in the GMA female chair.
    Last edited by Moose; 05-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Robin did the interview. They need it for GMA.

Two weeks ago, GMA beat Today for a weeks' ratings for the first time in 16 years. It's also sweeps month. ABC won't be releasing anything but bare bones until the interview plays, and GMA gets the ratings bump this interview was secured to deliver.

BTW, can I take the opportunity to say how much I love Robin Roberts? Damn, she has matured into an excellent newscaster/presenter, and I think she has great presence in the GMA female chair.
    Isn't she freaking awesome!? I've always liked her, but you're absolutely correct. She really has become a competent newscaster.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Isn't she freaking awesome!? I've always liked her, but you're absolutely correct. She really has become a competent newscaster.
    I'm trying to think of other sportscasters that have gone on to greater success in news. Bryant Gumbel and Keith Olbermann are the two that spring to mind, but just does not seem like there are a lot more. Robin's done a tremendous job in transitioning, and I'd put her right up with those two.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

LOL@ this. Saw it on Tumblr

I was going to mention something similar to this. Love her!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    LOL@ this. Saw it on Tumblr

I don't believe for a second that his views were "evolving" on this issue and ONLY now he came to this conclusion. I think he is too intelligent for that. This can't really be a political move because he already has liberal base in his camp. I think he and Biden (the other day) just decided to come clean and say what they really think. Brave move, but it may actually hurt them politically from sort of middle of the road semi-conservatives.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Barack Obama went on record (albeit in a small Black gay publication out of Chicago) in May/June 1996 in support of marriage equality. I have no link. But I know this because I was interviewed in the exact same issue for a poetry reading I was scheduled to perform in Chicago. That publication exists somewhere in a box in my archives. So, no, the president hasn't actually "evolved." He just finally spoke his truth.

I think so too, honestly.
    I was just amused by that image lol

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Barack Obama went on record (albeit in a small Black gay publication out of Chicago) in May/June 1996 in support of marriage equality. I have no link. But I know this because I was interviewed in the exact same issue for a poetry reading I was scheduled to perform in Chicago. That publication exists somewhere in a box in my archives. So, no, the president hasn't actually "evolved." He just finally spoke his truth.
    So, when he was saying he is "evolving" he was full of it? I think yes, but still as a President this was a hell of a move to come out clean on this issue. I see a lot of people criticize him for that, but I respect the courage that he showed.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I liked Alexandria Petri's short post on the subject :

Obama comes out for same-sex marriage, world ends

(she's a humorous take on the news columnist, in case that wasn't clear from the title)
    I disapprove of this message

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast