Agree Agree:  102
Likes Likes:  145
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21364243444546
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Injury and Illness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omess; 09-23-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Re: Injury and Illness

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Obsession? Give me a break. Is this a tennis fan site or not?

Name another high profile player who downplayed serious injuries as much and in a similar manner as Bianca. If she and her team acted like she was seriously injured at any point, she would definitely be treated differently. But being on the entry list of every premier mandatory and up tournament and withdrawing a few days before it starts on a constant basis throughout 2020 has made people come to the conclusion that her injuries are minor and she is basically ready to play, but just won't. Her social media has been littered with people asking if she's ever going to regain interest in playing tennis because that's how it comes off more times than not to plenty.

Contrast that with her statement that she's not healthy and taking the rest of 2020 off. It is vague statement, but it's more of an admission of a serious longer term injury. The responses are night and day, almost entirely supportive. If she acted like she was injured, she'd be treated like she is. It was a bad call to downplay things and always act like she was mere days away from returning.

As always, I have little issue with Bianca, but the team around her leaves a lot to be desired. I have zero doubt that she wants to play, I just think her body is betraying her right now and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the extent of your injuries.
    Obsession yes and it is like a personal vendetta. Entry at premier mandatory and grand slam are automatic but yes , they should probably handle the withdrawals differently .

We are talking about 1 year player here , let’s give her time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Yeah, she probably wants to get back on the court and play. But who knows, really? Who knows how much honest effort she's making to return? Maybe she's making an honest effort. But, hell, I remember Fed Cup back in February, where she was 'hoping to play' until the very last minute. That was 7 months ago. It's rather odd that a player can be 'hoping to play' in February (which means 'very close to being ready to play'), and then 7 months later be nowhere near being ready to play.
    Would she have made more effort to come back to playing if her ranking were not protected? Perhaps only she knows the answer to this.
    So, yes, there are some questionable things going on with her - and no matter how voluntarily blind her 'fans' are to them, those questionable elements are still there.

The reason that her 1 year (so far) injury gets so much attention is because it's quite rare for a player to be out for this long consecutively. And even more rare for a player who's out as long as she has been to return to top level play.

Plus, Bianca has been injured all of her tennis life. One injury after another.

What I get tired of is people treating her like she's the bloody second coming. Hey - she had a good year in 2019. Good for her. No-one can say that she didn't deserve it. But the fact is that she played well and got the attention of the tennis world for all of 6 months. That's it - 6 months. And people are treating her like she's been a champion every year for 10 years. These people need to get some accurate perspective.
    Another fact is that, both before and after 2019, she is known far more for the time she's missed due to injuries than for her tennis. And there's nothing wrong with pointing that fact out.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-23-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Just to point out that almost all posts, critical or not, have an undertone that we want her back.
    Not all of them...
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

We've focused on Andreescu here but what about Bencic? Does she have better PR or what?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21364243444546