Agree Agree:  71
Likes Likes:  126
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1530363738394041 LastLast

Injury and Illness

You guys are both too young to have these infuriating medical experiences. At least you advocated for yourself. You really have to in the healthcare system.

Hope a chiro works for you, Mariya. Get a personal recommendation. There are a lot of quacks but some excellent ones, too. My chiro is basically my primary care physician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Re: Injury and Illness

M8, do you have an entrapment of the ulnar nerve in the elbow?

They didn't recommend surgery? I suppose you're using Vit B12.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I've stopped anything that bends my elbow - it goes numb. I can only sleep on my right side now.

I haven't tried a chiropractor - didn't think about it because it's neurological. I'll give it a try as I'm looking for new medical help on this. Glad you got yours fixed!

The neurologist I saw almost 2 years ago now about this was useless. She literally said "I don't know what to do" and told me kinda matter-of-fact that I might lose the use of my hand in 5 years. I did some research and got some European medication (one vitamin and one medication that specifically helps nerve conduction) and used the TENS (electric nerve stimulation) machine and was able to reduce whatever inflammation there was so now it's much better as long as I don't anger it
    I don't know if it would help, but you might also think about acupuncture. Gerald had some good success with it on occasion with his back. I know that the times I had it, I just about fell asleep on the table I was so relaxed from the needles. From my understanding, it has had some success with treating inflammation. If cost is an issue, you can look to check out schools of acupuncture. They have always had a 'student' clinic, and the students are supervised. When we lived in Austin, it was a very cost effective solution when you are looking at multiple treatments for a situation.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    M8, do you have an entrapment of the ulnar nerve in the elbow?

They didn't recommend surgery? I suppose you're using Vit B12.
    It's a B-vitamin complex from Germany ('Milgamma') - I think B1 is the bulk of it. I'm also taking Neuromidin ("ipidacrin") periodically.

It's the ulnar nerve, but don't think it's entrapment - I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. She said to come see her in 6 months to consider surgery, but since it's gotten better and she sucked, I'm not going to do that. I did confirm that surgery success is low, so I'd like to avoid it unless pain gets worse. Have you seen something different in your work?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    You guys are both too young to have these infuriating medical experiences. At least you advocated for yourself. You really have to in the healthcare system.

Hope a chiro works for you, Mariya. Get a personal recommendation. There are a lot of quacks but some excellent ones, too. My chiro is basically my primary care physician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have one! He's out-of-network for me so I hadn't really thought about it.

Thanks for your help and concern, everyone

It's a B-vitamin complex from Germany ('Milgamma') - I think B1 is the bulk of it. I'm also taking Neuromidin ("ipidacrin") periodically.

It's the ulnar nerve, but don't think it's entrapment - I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. She said to come see her in 6 months to consider surgery, but since it's gotten better and she sucked, I'm not going to do that. I did confirm that surgery success is low, so I'd like to avoid it unless pain gets worse. Have you seen something different in your work?
    Have you tried dry needle trigger therapy? There are a number of physical therapists certified for this. I had 2 or 3 sessions about 5 years back and wore an elbow sleeve/brace for awhile. Also took the opportunity to improve my ergonomics at work so as not to re-aggravate.
    My Happy Place

It is a sort of entrapment, the nerve becomes compressed by inflammation of surrounding tissue or because itself becomes inflamed and is compressed in its compartment.

Surgery should be fine. I would look for a second opinion if the Vit B doesn't work. If I'm thinking about the same pathology, they create a new pocket for the ulnar nerve with padding (from local fat) to protect it. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle and recovery should be quick.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I've stopped anything that bends my elbow - it goes numb. I can only sleep on my right side now.

The neurologist I saw almost 2 years ago now about this was useless. She literally said "I don't know what to do" and told me kinda matter-of-fact that I might lose the use of my hand in 5 years. I did some research and got some European medication (one vitamin and one medication that specifically helps nerve conduction) and used the TENS (electric nerve stimulation) machine and was able to reduce whatever inflammation there was so now it's much better as long as I don't anger it
    Since it totally sounds like you need a new doctor or at least a second opinion, I thought I'd mention, I have an excellent neurologist in Philadelphia. If you needed a consult or a second opinion, he's one to consider. Trust me when I say, New Yorkers come to Philly for this kind of thing all of the time, so as long as they take your insurance, you being out of state would not pose a problem. He's with UPenn's hospital.

And if you need a neurosurgeon. My sister had successful surgery on a ruptured or herniated disc at Columbia in NYC. She consulted about 6 surgeons in NJ and NY before going with the guy she chose. She's been absolutely great since. Let me know if you'd like either name.

I could also get you the phone number for my grandmother. Depending on the magazine that came that month, just about everything can be cured or prevented by something like "Add blueberries to your diet."

I'm visiting her currently. If I stay any longer, I'll eventually be convinced that gunshot wounds can be cured by adding pistachios to your salad. (Still not worth it, in my opinion.)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    Have you tried dry needle trigger therapy? There are a number of physical therapists certified for this. I had 2 or 3 sessions about 5 years back and wore an elbow sleeve/brace for awhile. Also took the opportunity to improve my ergonomics at work so as not to re-aggravate.
    what an awful name for a pain relief therapy I hadn't heard of this and will look into it, thank you!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    It is a sort of entrapment, the nerve becomes compressed by inflammation of surrounding tissue or because itself becomes inflamed and is compressed in its compartment.

Surgery should be fine. I would look for a second opinion if the Vit B doesn't work. If I'm thinking about the same pathology, they create a new pocket for the ulnar nerve with padding (from local fat) to protect it. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle and recovery should be quick.
    Thanks

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Since it totally sounds like you need a new doctor or at least a second opinion, I thought I'd mention, I have an excellent neurologist in Philadelphia. If you needed a consult or a second opinion, he's one to consider. Trust me when I say, New Yorkers come to Philly for this kind of thing all of the time, so as long as they take your insurance, you being out of state would not pose a problem. He's with UPenn's hospital.

And if you need a neurosurgeon. My sister had successful surgery on a ruptured or herniated disc at Columbia in NYC. She consulted about 6 surgeons in NJ and NY before going with the guy she chose. She's been absolutely great since. Let me know if you'd like either name.
    Thank you! I'll DM you for the Dr's name. I might weight until I go to Russia to see a Doctor there for a second opinion because I prefer the treatment philosophy in Russia when it comes to this stuff but would like to keep an option.

I need to go back to Columbia as my main medical providers, I switched to NYU Langone after my physician moved away and it's not been great (not necessarily a comment on the whole NYU Langone system, but a colleague also had a bad experience with them, so maybe it is).

Venus’ “Training setback” has been revealed to be a hip injury
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Read that Andreescu have withdrawn from AO due to knee injury that happened at WTA Finals.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Delpo too. He looks more unlikely to return at all every day.
    Missing winter...

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1530363738394041 LastLast