Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: 2012 AOSP Women's Picks/Results Thread

Can I just say all of the posts so far have been hysterical! I'm sitting in my boring office laughing my ass off and getting wierd looks from my colleagues! Thanks for the laughs!

Welcome back for Day 2 of the Women’s SP. (insert crickets chirping). Yes, day 1 was painful as we have already lost more than half of the pool. After 9 no-picks, we start today with 144. Below is a breakdown and commentary of today’s picks.

Bandwagon of the day:

(34)Shahar Peer- I like this pick so much I decided to join in the fun as well. Her opponent is ranked nearly 150 spots lower, and lost 6-0 6-0 last week in her opening match in Sydney. I expect Shahar to serve her another high carb diet today of a bagels and/or breadsticks and cruise through in straights.

Other top picks:

(18)Kerber- She is playing great lately and draws a woman ranked #242. Should be a routine win for Angelique.

(15)Vinci- Seems like another mismatch on paper and hopefully this Italian channels her inner Franny instead of Flavia for this one.

(10)Kanepi- Afer winning Brisbane and having a week off she seems in perfect form to make a deep run. Hopefully these folks don’t regret later using her this early.

(9)Cibulkova- Nelslus feels so strongly about this one that he actually guarantees you’ll all get through with him on this pick.

(8)Petrova- The ultimate box of chocolates as you never know what you’ll get with Nadia. Please fasten your seatbelt as this ride could get bumpy!

(6)Zahlavova Strycova- A good choice to be one and done with Serena waiting in R2 and should be able to beat the Frenchwoman.

(5)Lisicki- Retired from her last match in Auckland and pulled out of Sydney. Fitness will be tested on a hot day in Melbourne so hopefully she has recovered in time to play the qualifier.

(4)Ivanovic- Ana said she believes she can win the tournament. Obviously these folks don’t agree.

(4)Makarova- Unless Melbourne makes a special retro grass court for this match, she should roll past Tammy T.

(4)Zheng- Won Auckland 2 weeks ago and is a big favorite to get by Keys.

(3)Errani- On paper this looks good but Sara is too unpredictable for my tastes.

(3)Kirilenko- Very brave pick as I wouldn’t have gone near this one.

(3)Vesnina- I like this pick quite a bit and feel confident she’ll easily get by Ms. Dubois.

(3)Wozniak- Certainly has the talent but I may have just referred to the old standby rule of “not choosing for or against the Chinese woman” and passed on this match altogether.

(2)Pavlyuchenkova- Can break serve at will but also hits too many DFs. Both Pavs and her opponent haven’t been playing well so far in 2012 either so this could be a roller coaster match.

(2)Marino- Has a great serve but Arn is a tough out and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Canuck losing this one.

(2)Dokic- Is the underdog in this match but perhaps she can rekindle the old magic from a couple years ago.

(2)Hradecka- is 2-0 vs. her opponent and ranked 53 points higher. Certainly a solid choice to move forward.

Rolling the dice…..:

(1)Hampton- the qualifier is 0-1 vs. her opponent.

(1)U. Radwanska- I’m not sure what is more surprising, that someone picked her today or her sister yesterday.

(1)Begu- Coin flip, but I’ll side with Navarro in this one.

Perhaps playing it a bit too safe?

(2)Zvonareva- Has made the semis here 2 of the last 4 years.

(1)Sharapova- I know she hasn’t played in awhile but still seems too early to pick her.

(1)Bartoli- The Maid should make week 2 as well.

Good luck all and enjoy the tennis!
    Last edited by waylandboy-tw; 01-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

As expected Peer wins easily

Arrow Re: 2012 AOSP Women's Picks/Results Thread

Way to pull out that first set Scrabble!

How did Bartoli come to be The Maid? That gives me a chuckle.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joanjettson View Post
    How did Bartoli come to be The Maid? That gives me a chuckle.
    I'm guessing Maid Marion from Robin Hood.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luvs10s View Post
    I'm guessing Maid Marion from Robin Hood.
    Yes, during injury timeouts she steals from the trainer and gives to, well, herself!

That fits her so well. She could have done a number in "8 Women"

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Wow. We've reached worse than random picks territory...
    It's been done before...but I'll try random and see how that would've done so far:

I get...Maria Joao Koeller and Urszula Radwanska. So I'm going to call myself as good as random but not worse!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

I think only Vesnina, Marino, Begu pickers are out? What a contrast to day 1!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaticdan View Post
    I think only Vesnina, Marino, Begu pickers are out? What a contrast to day 1!
    Seriously, we started with 144 players yesterday (had 9 no picks).

-2 Marino
    -1 Begu
    -3 Vesnina (do we never learn???)

138 live players going into Wednesday's play

Quote Originally Posted by waylandboy-tw View Post
    Welcome back for Day 2 of the Women’s SP. (insert crickets chirping). Yes, day 1 was painful as we have already lost more than half of the pool. After 9 no-picks, we start today with 144. Below is a breakdown and commentary of today’s picks.

Rolling the dice…..:

(1)Hampton- the qualifier is 0-1 vs. her opponent.

(1)U. Radwanska- I’m not sure what is more surprising, that someone picked her today or her sister yesterday.

(1)Begu- Coin flip, but I’ll side with Navarro in this one.
    That was my baby Bhar11. I tried my best to talk him out of it and get him to change his pick. I told him it was dangerous, but he decided not to listen to his double-cheeked mother because he "had a feeling about her." Good for him. Very rarely ---> mother doesn't know best!

TA
    My Beloved Mother

Welcome to day 3! After the major haircut the first day we experienced only a trim yesterday with just six incorrect selections. We start today with 134 players after 4 no-picks and it will be interesting to see if we go under 100 players remaining after today. Below is a breakdown of the picks with commentary below.

Bandwagon of the day:

(41)Hantuchova- Tsurenko took out a few Rus pickers on day 1 but Dani will be a whole different animal this round. I expect a quick straight sets win and the band(wagon) plays on.

Lesser herds:

(23)Goerges- IF she is healthy enough she should win this one with ease.

(14)Jankovic- I’ll never call JJ a “safe” pick but this is as close as it gets.

(11)Garrigues- This one probably goes three and the Spaniard could be ripe for an upset.

(11)Niculescu- Yeah, I suppose she gets through but I wouldn’t have an easy feeling about this match.

The rest of the bunch:

(9)Schiavone- She’ll get through but still could be a factor in the second week.

(7)McHale- Seems like the collapse at RG last year has made her stronger and I expect her to advance to a R3 matchup with JJ.

(5)ARadwanska- Sure Mattek-Sands gave her a scare in round 1 but she’ll cruise in this one.

(3)Peng- The H2H is 2-0 Benesova but they both were quite awhile ago. I’ll go FOR the Chinese woman in this one.

(3)Cetkovska- Thanks for playing and please come back for the French Open pool in May!

(3)Pironkova- I know she won R1 but I wouldn’t be pressing my luck here. Whammy alert!

(2)Voskoboeva- Having said that, I feel about the same here too.

(1)Wozniacki- Again with Woz? Oh you of little faith in the world #1. You might regret this pick next week!

(1)Barthel- I love this pick! (and may wish I had made it too)

Good luck all and enjoy the tennis!

Daniela is now in the 3rd. Come on Tsurenko. LOL.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The saddest thing of all is that now about 333 women's suicide pool participants are under the sad impression that Daniela Hantuchova is, in some twisted way, a safe suicide pool pick!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast