Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Christopher Hitchens has died

I know we have the In Memorian thread, but Hitchens was too relevant not to have his own thread.
    There will be many eulogies and obituaries in the days to come, together with some vile religious rejoicing. And perhaps there will be some productive discussion on the issues he liked to think about.
    From my side, I would like to thank the man for the many hours of enjoyment I have had reading him; seeing as I have not read all his work, he will still provide me with some more.
    And I hope that in the last moment of his life, just before that final fade away into cosmic oblivion, he got the perfect insight and confirmation that all his life, he had been right.
    Missing winter...

Re: Christopher Hitchens has died

May he RIP.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Wonderful, insightful and very enjoyable writer. Another example of you don't have to agree with someone to fully enjoy their work. Sad that he is gone, very glad that his suffering is over.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

This is an excellent write up.

::

Rick Warren is a liberal-minded devout Christian, one who knew and respected Christopher Hitchens. But even he could not resist the graveyard dig, tweeting this just after the dogged atheist died of esophageal cancer at age 62: “My friend Christopher Hitchens has died. I loved & prayed for him constantly & grieve his loss. He knows the Truth now.”

Well, I suppose if Jesus Christ is your reason for being, it’s almost impossible to resist standing over the cold body of an avowed, combative atheist and wagging your finger (with love, of course) a little. Lord knows, Hitchens never pulled a punch. As kind as he was to his friends, he was relentless and withering toward his foes. Of these, there were two kinds: enemies who got on the list of Hitch’s “white whales” and never left it, like Bill Clinton, Henry Kissinger, Mother Teresa and others, and ideological opponents — sparring partners in the ring of argument.

And in recent years, there’s no subject — with the possible exceptions of the war in Iraq, which he supported, or the fight against Islamofascism, which he defended to the hilt — that consumed him more than God, or his absence.

Roughly 10 years ago, Hitchens was viewed as a force of nature and a curmudgeon, an amazingly prolific polemicist with an omnivorous intellect, a liberal gut and a total intolerance for tyrants of any kind. “Afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted,” is the old maxim. If Hitchens did the second, I didn’t see it much. He did the first half with rigor, fluidity and glee.

And ten years ago, this important public intellectual had a big fan base, but had yet to peak in the public mind.

Then, in 2007, he wrote a book, “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything,” which made a full frontal argument that religion is not just past its prime, but truly bad for people. That is swimming upstream, to say the least, in a country where atheists are outnumbered by people “of faith” (Hitchens hated that term) roughly 20 to 1, and where even those who don’t believe passionately are taught they should have a certain respect for those who believe because it’s a personal thing, above and beyond reason — and a noble one at that. So we put it in a plexiglass case, even as we allow it to be a powerful influence on our lives and our politics.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm sad that he's gone, but relieved that his suffering is over.

May he rest in peace.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RIP

He was the man of brutal honesty. He obviously was not trying to be politically correct in any situation, otherwise he would not be calling Mother Teresa a thieving Albanian dwarf and calling Gandhi a naked Hindu fundamentalist. I am sure most people would disagree with that and look down at him for such accusations, but he had facts to back it up. There is nothing that he ever claimed that was based simply on good merit or virtue, but instead he dug deeper than most and only then he would state his opinion.

RIP.

Your hitchslap will be missed.

"Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Hitchens letter to American Atheist Convention in 2011.
    Read by C0nc0rdance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJfpsWjl9Y
    Last edited by Vlad; 12-16-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I shed a few tears this morning. I predicted he would see 2012 but this was still a shocking and sad way to wake up
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

Dawkins' eulogy:
    "Farewell, great voice. Great voice of reason, of humanity, of humour. Great voice against cant, against hypocrisy, against obscurantism and pretension, against all tyrants including God. Farewell, great warrior. You were in a foxhole, Hitch, and you did not flinch. Farewell, great example to us all.
    Richard"

To the point.
    Must be tough writing an eulogy for a man that was so good with words. You probably know you will fall short.
    Missing winter...

Nittany Lion

my favorite

“If [Falwell] had been given an enema, he could have been buried in a matchbox.”