Agree Agree:  135
Likes Likes:  137
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1035505657585960
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Yeah. Let's collect data we will summarily ignore when it becomes politically inconvenient. Makes PERFECT sense...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Major Twitter Accounts Hacked by Bitcoin Scammers
    July 15, 2020
    MATTHEW RENDA

(CN) — Hackers gained access to major accounts on Twitter on Wednesday, causing the company’s stock to dive as calls increase for the site to shut down until the company can get a handle on the security situation.

Accounts belonging to Joe Biden, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Barack Obama and a slew of companies showed signs of being compromised on Wednesday afternoon.

The accounts directed people to donate to a bitcoin scheme, which has reaped more than $100,000 as part of the apparent scam.

“I am giving back to the community,” read one tweet from Bezos’s verified account. “All bitcoin sent to my account will be sent back doubled.”

Bezos is the founder of Amazon and the world’s richest person.

“We are aware of a security incident impacting accounts on Twitter,” the company said in a statement on Wednesday afternoon. “We are investigating and taking steps to fix it. We will update everyone shortly.”

Twitter stock was down approximately 5% in after-hours trading.

The Joe Biden campaign confirmed the presidential candidate’s account was hacked.

“Twitter locked down the account immediately following the breach and removed the related tweet,” the Biden campaign said. “We remain in touch with Twitter on the matter.”

The security breach raised major questions for the company as world leaders like Donald Trump often communicate official national policy via Twitter, meaning hackers could presumably start wars or destabilize geopolitical conditions if they are able to gain access to certain accounts.

“This mass twitter hack should worry everyone because there is one account on here (you know the one) that could end us all with the wrong tweet,” wrote Jon Stokes, founder of Ars Technica, on Wednesday. “That account should announce it’s backing off the platform entirely until this is sorted.”

Twitter has promised to ramp up its security measures, particularly after its founder Jack Dorsey was the victim of a hack last year. Twitter said that the hack was not related to its platform specifically, but said Dorsey had a mobile platform with faulty security that allowed hackers access to his account.

This is a developing story.

https://www.courthousenews.com/major...coin-scammers/
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Sincerely, I would worry LESS about somebody hacking that person's account because it could end us all than the actual owner of the account posting one tweet that could end us all.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Some updates from Twitter:

Twitter Support @TwitterSupport

Our investigation is still ongoing but here’s what we know so far:

We detected what we believe to be a coordinated social engineering attack by people who successfully targeted some of our employees with access to internal systems and tools.

We know they used this access to take control of many highly-visible (including verified) accounts and Tweet on their behalf. We’re looking into what other malicious activity they may have conducted or information they may have accessed and will share more here as we have it.

Once we became aware of the incident, we immediately locked down the affected accounts and removed Tweets posted by the attackers.

We also limited functionality for a much larger group of accounts, like all verified accounts (even those with no evidence of being compromised), while we continue to fully investigate this.

This was disruptive, but it was an important step to reduce risk. Most functionality has been restored but we may take further actions and will update you if we do.

We have locked accounts that were compromised and will restore access to the original account owner only when we are certain we can do so securely.

Internally, we’ve taken significant steps to limit access to internal systems and tools while our investigation is ongoing. More updates to come as our investigation continues.

Ryan Mac Upside-down face @RMac18

Twitter now confirming multiple employees were socially engineered back hackers. Still no confirmation that anyone was bribed, as previously reported. 45 accounts out of 130 accessed had passwords reset. Up to 8 had data downloaded. https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topic...-incident.html

Twitter still not saying whether DMs were accessed but that some personal info was including email addresses and phone numbers. Investigation is still on-going.

I’ve asked Twitter if downloading data allows for the downloading of DMs. Early indication from another user suggests that this is possible. Unclear what that means for the 8 accounts that may have been hit.

Will@ws

Replying to @RMac18 and @ex_Tesla
    just checked my archive- includes DMs and all images
    This is big. It means Musk, Biden, Obama, Kanye, and other verified accounts did not have their data downloaded.

A Twitter spokesperson confirms: downloading data will allow a user to download their direct messages. That means if the 8 users used DMs those would have been downloaded. Again, none of those accounts were verified.

Jacque
    @Jajngn
    Replying to
    @RMac18
    and
    @Dawnsfire
    I’m not familiar with the term socially engineered. Does that mean “fake account profiles”
    Evan Sims@evansims

It just means Twitter staff were tricked by the attackers in some way (we're not sure how yet) that gave the attackers access to Twitter's internal support tools.

Think back to the 2016 election and Podesta's email account getting phished. That was a type of social engineering.

Sarah Mucha @sarahmucha
    Confirmed: @JoeBiden campaign sent an email to staff asking them to remove TikTok from their work and personal devices due to security concerns, per a source in the campaign. This comes as the DNC and RNC warned their staffs about using the app. (First reported by @tylerpager)

Eric Garland
    @ericgarland
    It’s malware from the China’s MSS intelligence agency...ditch the app.

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1035505657585960