Agree Agree:  116
Likes Likes:  127
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Local story. Video at the link if you prefer that to reading the full story.

'I Was Numb': Family Secrets Come to Light as DNA Testing Gains Popularity

Two families with lifelong secrets unearthed because of home DNA test kits are now dealing with the truth. Here's what their stories tell us about the shock that can come from new ancestry technology, and how to deal with it.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...564359761.html

^^ I had a great Family Law professor who had an old professor friend that did work with the state at one point. I feel like the state was Minnesota for some reason. Anyway, whatever he was doing provided him access to birth records that included blood tests or something like that. He was curious and took an unofficial tally of the data he was sifting through. Again, this was completely unofficial, but he found that about 30% of the birth fathers didn't properly match the other data available for the baby.

So to say stories like these don't shock me is an understatement and I'd expect many, many more of them to surface. I have no idea why people think everything they find is going to be roses and sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Local story. Video at the link if you prefer that to reading the full story.

'I Was Numb': Family Secrets Come to Light as DNA Testing Gains Popularity

Two families with lifelong secrets unearthed because of home DNA test kits are now dealing with the truth. Here's what their stories tell us about the shock that can come from new ancestry technology, and how to deal with it.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...564359761.html
    Mama's baby, daddy's maybe.

I worked with a woman who got pregnant as the result of an affair and had the baby letting her husband think he was the father.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Mama's baby, daddy's maybe.

I worked with a woman who got pregnant as the result of an affair and had the baby letting her husband think he was the father.
    Right. It's just not that uncommon. Breaking news - women lie. Plenty of Mike Tirico types walking around thinking they aren't black even like him where it makes you look as dumb as a box of rocks. But there are going to be many less subtle ones where they know their dad is 100% Italian and their results are coming back only Irish and Scottish.

Also, parents who didn't tell their kids they were adopted or were from a sperm donor.

Personal.
    I had a GF in Argentina in the early 2000's. With my traveling it was not meant to be (nor was I interested in moving at the time). One time, while in Bolivia (at the border, physically not far away), she contacted me, and said she wanted to see me. Why not? I thought. I told her to meet me in Salvador Maza (the northernmost city in Argentina) on a Saturday but it was not to be.
    About six months later, I was again working in Argentina. I called her and agreed to meet. At the plaza, what I found was an 8 month-pregnant woman. We talked. I asked her how far along she was (that is how I know). She told me. It then dawned on me: "Did you ask me to meet you in Salvador six months ago so we could have something and then you would tell me the child was mine?"
    I took it as a complement. There was no point in getting mad.
    ---0---
    Sure, women lie. And now it is 23&me or Ancestry. But not long ago it was blood types. And if your dad and mom are RH- and you are RH+, no need to go all high tech on thinking something is not totally square.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-07-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Corrected thanks to Glenn. Should have known better...
    Missing winter...

Actually, a child can be Rh- and have two Rh+ parents. Remember Rh+ is dominant, so each parent could carry one Rh- gene. The reverse is not possible. Two Rh- parents could not have an Rh+ child.

GH

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657