Agree Agree:  102
Likes Likes:  108
Page 1 of 51 123451126 ... LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Techno-babble Random Random

Do we have a technology thread? If so, I couldn't find it.

============================
    Looks like the Kindle Fire wasn’t all Amazon had planned for us. Amazon has revealed a new line of E-Ink Kindles that looks to bolster their “traditional” eReader lineup. The three new models have taken the stage: the $79 Kindle, the $99 Kindle Touch, and the $149 Kindle Touch 3G.

The new super small, non-touch Kindle was announced to appeal to Amazon’s legion of eReading purists. It’s small enough to fit in a pack pocket, and will cost users a scant $79 — customers can order today, and Amazon says it will ship today too. While it retains physical buttons, Amazon’s traditional Kindle keyboard is gone. In order to drive the price that low, the new Kindle also comes packed with Amazon’s Special Offers and their Amazon Local deals service.

The Kindle Touch features an IR touch system that’s similar to the one seen in the most recent Nook, and squeezes it into a body that’s both smaller and lighter than the current model. By going touchscreen, the Kindle Touch does away with the classic Kindle design and instead goes for a very unassuming form factor. The Kindle Touch also sports a new feature called X-Ray, which provides “more than just definitions.” It seeks to give users context by providing Wikipedia info without having to switch into a browser.

Amazon is going aggressive with the pricing here: the Kindle Touch will go for $99 — a super-enticing price point by any stretch, but one that’s probably going to ensure these things fly off the shelves come the holidays.

The Kindle Touch will also come in a global-friendly 3G model which will run $149 — not a bad price considering users get a free lifetime of data in 100 countries. Both units are available for pre-order today, but units will ship starting shipping on November 21.

Amazon’s eReader lineup has gotten a tremendous shot in the arm with everything that’s happened today. While the Fire seems primed to take on both Apple’s iPad and BN’s Nook Color line, the new E-Ink Kindles aim to keep the old-school Kindle fans loyal to the brand.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/28/ama...-kindle-touch/
    My iPad has a wonderful eBook app and the price for ebooks is pretty much the same between Apple's bookstore and Amazon's. The problem I'm having with reading on my iPad is the weight of the thing. It's comparable to a full size hard-cover book; much heavier than a paper-back. I've played around with Mary's Kindle and it's so much lighter and comfortable to use.

But I haven't bought a Kindle yet because I'm having trouble justifying the purchase when I have an iPad already.

The $79 price tag might just change that.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Mu question for anybody with an Android Driven Pad/Tab: is there a synch app that will let you synchronize your MS OUTLOOK contact/schedule list between you PC/Laptop and your tablet?
    I am nowhere close to getting a tablet, but this may be one reason I would/wouldn't.
    Starry starry night

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Mu question for anybody with an Android Driven Pad/Tab: is there a synch app that will let you synchronize your MS OUTLOOK contact/schedule list between you PC/Laptop and your tablet?
    I am nowhere close to getting a tablet, but this may be one reason I would/wouldn't.
    There must be an app for that. I mean, I don't know for sure, but that would be a pretty important thing to have.

Possibly a cloud program. I know that Apple is soon to launch their cloud service that will sync mail/contacts/calendars, etc. between all computers/phones/iPads that a person owns.

Amazon keeps their customer's eBooks in a cloud, so what you're talking about would seem to be the next logical step.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    LOL.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This probably won't mean much to you guys but I have to tell someone and you're all lucky enough to be here...

I just spent about 20 minutes online trying to learn how to access/administer my database program on my webserver at home (the one I use to test stuff on before moving it to the internet). It's been a pain in the ass because in order to do certain things I've had to do them from the actual server computer (which is upstairs).

I figured it out found the answer online and now I can administer the database server from my computer downstairs!!

I know! Right?!!

Blog Entries

When the Kindle first came out I so wanted one, but they were super expensive (IMHO) being as they were just an e-reader. So I never got one.

A friend of mine got one and of course needed help to figure it out. I hated the face that the keys were extremely small and difficult to press. Plus sometimes I like to flip back to previously read pages and it was difficult doing that on the original Kindle.

I got my iPad2 8 months ago and I have never regretted it. When the fire came out I read how it was better because it was lighter and smaller. Not so sure I buy into that. While I agree it can be difficult to read on the iPad (mostly because of the glare) I prefer a bigger screen so it's the perfect size for me.

Not saying I'm anti-Kindle so maybe I'll consider one some time in the future. I just kinda think having another gadget that might just sit around not being as used not necessary right now.

Let me know when and if you get one and your thoughts.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
    When the Kindle first came out I so wanted one, but they were super expensive (IMHO) being as they were just an e-reader. So I never got one.

A friend of mine got one and of course needed help to figure it out. I hated the face that the keys were extremely small and difficult to press. Plus sometimes I like to flip back to previously read pages and it was difficult doing that on the original Kindle.

I got my iPad2 8 months ago and I have never regretted it. When the fire came out I read how it was better because it was lighter and smaller. Not so sure I buy into that. While I agree it can be difficult to read on the iPad (mostly because of the glare) I prefer a bigger screen so it's the perfect size for me.

Not saying I'm anti-Kindle so maybe I'll consider one some time in the future. I just kinda think having another gadget that might just sit around not being as used not necessary right now.

Let me know when and if you get one and your thoughts.

Foxy
    When I started reading again I did so on my iPad. eBooks on it are absolutely beautiful! I really enjoyed reading on it.

The biggest downsides that I saw with reading on my iPad were, as you mentioned, the glare. But I also didn't like how heavy it was. I like to be able to hold a book with one hand (so I can use the other hand to snack ). But I also noticed that it was using my battery a lot more than I expected. Several times I needed my iPad for something else and the battery was almost dead. But the real clincher for me was when I noticed that a book I wanted to read was $12.99 for my iPad and $9.99 for Kindle.

All those things combined, plus a $30 off coupon, led me to buy my Kindle.

It took about half way through the first book before I finally got over missing the beauty of reading on my iPad. But 4 books later I'm really happy that I have my Kindle now to read on. It didn't take me long to get used to navigating on it. With the wireless turned off I can easily read 2 books before thinking about recharging the battery. But the nicest think about is it's weight. It's even lighter than a paperback.

I have an ipad, but I've never seen a kindle (probably not relevant for my area anyway)... But still, is it possible on it to read books with illustrations, schemes, maps, formulas, made up fonts and so on? Not being able to do that is the major downside of ebook standards I've had an experience with. Really precludes reading anything other than cheap crime novels...

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I have an ipad, but I've never seen a kindle (probably not relevant for my area anyway)... But still, is it possible on it to read books with illustrations, schemes, maps, formulas, made up fonts and so on? Not being able to do that is the major downside of ebook standards I've had an experience with. Really precludes reading anything other than cheap crime novels...
    I'd definitely not depend on a Kindle for illustrations, schemes, etc. The screen displays in black and white and really built for text. I'm not sure about geographic limitations. Books are downloaded over the internet, so I don't know if that would necessarily be a problem.

It does, however, handle cheap crime novels really well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    When I started reading again I did so on my iPad. eBooks on it are absolutely beautiful! I really enjoyed reading on it.

The biggest downsides that I saw with reading on my iPad were, as you mentioned, the glare. But I also didn't like how heavy it was. I like to be able to hold a book with one hand (so I can use the other hand to snack ). But I also noticed that it was using my battery a lot more than I expected. Several times I needed my iPad for something else and the battery was almost dead. But the real clincher for me was when I noticed that a book I wanted to read was $12.99 for my iPad and $9.99 for Kindle.

All those things combined, plus a $30 off coupon, led me to buy my Kindle.

It took about half way through the first book before I finally got over missing the beauty of reading on my iPad. But 4 books later I'm really happy that I have my Kindle now to read on. It didn't take me long to get used to navigating on it. With the wireless turned off I can easily read 2 books before thinking about recharging the battery. But the nicest think about is it's weight. It's even lighter than a paperback.
    Not sure if I mentioned this in my initial post and to lazy to go back but what prompted me to get an iPad was after I borrowed my hubby's when I was going on a cruise earlier this year. At that time I used IFlow reader which was a great app. However the books were kinda expensive. Not realizing I had other optioned I kept the app, but about a month later received an email stating they were being done away with because of some issue with Apple and commission etc. I then discovered the "KINDLE" app for the iPad and has been using that since. Books are purchased directly from my amazon account and I think they are the same price as the Amazon kindle, IIRC. (I hope I am right or else I'm not going to be happy)

I keep wondering though if I'll soon receive another email saying the Kindle reader and Apple are no longer meshing. I hope not as I think both companies benefit from this, and like I said it's a great app.

I agree on the battery life, but I've worked around that, turning off wifi, bluetooth, dimming the background light, etc and that has helped tremendously. I mostly read in bed, so I don't really feel the weight as much, but I'm sure it can be an issue. Although the iPad2 is lighter than the original iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Basically what Kirkus said, Kindle is definitely not the way to go for what you mentioned above. And definitely yes to cheap crime novels.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
    Not sure if I mentioned this in my initial post and to lazy to go back but what prompted me to get an iPad was after I borrowed my hubby's when I was going on a cruise earlier this year. At that time I used IFlow reader which was a great app. However the books were kinda expensive. Not realizing I had other optioned I kept the app, but about a month later received an email stating they were being done away with because of some issue with Apple and commission etc. I then discovered the "KINDLE" app for the iPad and has been using that since. Books are purchased directly from my amazon account and I think they are the same price as the Amazon kindle, IIRC. (I hope I am right or else I'm not going to be happy)

I keep wondering though if I'll soon receive another email saying the Kindle reader and Apple are no longer meshing. I hope not as I think both companies benefit from this, and like I said it's a great app.

I agree on the battery life, but I've worked around that, turning off wifi, bluetooth, dimming the background light, etc and that has helped tremendously. I mostly read in bed, so I don't really feel the weight as much, but I'm sure it can be an issue. Although the iPad2 is lighter than the original iPad.

Basically what Kirkus said, Kindle is definitely not the way to go for what you mentioned above. And definitely yes to cheap crime novels.

Foxy
    Until reading this post I'd totally forgotten that I did install the Kindle App on my iPad. You're absolutely right. I discovered it when I saw the price difference in that book I mentioned. It wasn't the way I originally posted. And Kindle books bought from Amazon are the same price regardless of where they're downloaded to (iPad Kindle App or Kindle).

It's funny, I turn off wireless on my Kindle to save battery life but I guess because I use the internet mostly on my iPad I never thought about turning it's wireless off for the same reason.

Kindle actually modified their Kindle App in order to be inline with Apple restrictions. You used to be able to buy books directly through the App but that went against Apple's licensing agreement. I would think since Kindle changed their App they aren't thinking about discontinuing their relationship with Apple. So I wouldn't worry too much about losing your Kindle books on your iPad.

The iPad saved my life during my recovery from eye surgery. I have a Kindle but because it's strictly a reader I got an iPad2. It's light Kirk and I found myself doing most of my viewing and when I could reading on the iPad. I would put it on the floor and hang over the end of my chaise to read and/or watch television. I did have to tone the brightness down.

The weird thing was I ordered the Kindle Fire before I knew I had to have eye surgery so it's coming next week.

The thing I love about the iPad are the television apps. Netflix, NBC, ABC, TNT and Hulu+ allowed me to keep fairly current on television. I was upset about the lack of Flash on the iPad but now that Adobe has thrown in the towel on that I guess Apple will go ahead with HTML5 platforms for what are now flash applications.

I got back into reading in a big way and between the Kindle and the Kindle app on the iPad it didn't bother my eye too much. They also sync each other so that if I stopped at a point on the iPad the Kindle would jump to the updated location.

ETA: I don't think the resolution of pictures and maps is great on the Kindle I have. I hope that improves with the Fire.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The iPad saved my life during my recovery from eye surgery. I have a Kindle but because it's strictly a reader I got an iPad2. It's light Kirk and I found myself doing most of my viewing and when I could reading on the iPad. I would put it on the floor and hang over the end of my chaise to read and/or watch television. I did have to tone the brightness down.

The weird thing was I ordered the Kindle Fire before I knew I had to have eye surgery so it's coming next week.

The thing I love about the iPad are the television apps. Netflix, NBC, ABC, TNT and Hulu+ allowed me to keep fairly current on television. I was upset about the lack of Flash on the iPad but now that Adobe has thrown in the towel on that I guess Apple will go ahead with HTML5 platforms for what are now flash applications.

I got back into reading in a big way and between the Kindle and the Kindle app on the iPad it didn't bother my eye too much. They also sync each other so that if I stopped at a point on the iPad the Kindle would jump to the updated location.

ETA: I don't think the resolution of pictures and maps is great on the Kindle I have. I hope that improves with the Fire.
    I thought this was going to be a much more dramatic story, Ti

Well it is kind of dramatic. I couldn't look straight ahead so I had to look down to do everything you would do online. Today is the first day i can sit with my head up and look forward like a normal person. Thee is no way I could've gone four weeks with no net.

The Kindle app is brighter than the Kindle so it made reading easier but hurt my eye otherwise.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 1 of 51 123451126 ... LastLast