Agree Agree:  66
Likes Likes:  79
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14293536373839

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Like all the other US Companies that own up to their responsibilities?
    You want them to pay attention to ads being bought, you regulate them. Until then, they have not done anything against the law and they should not be responsible for that.
    But of course, the smallest government is the smallest government. I always forget that.
    Firstly, if the lawyer can't say that, it's because of something; furthermore, he acknowledges that they should have "caught" the maneuver implying that they were in the wrong. All of his wording is of an excuse, if he were to accept upfront as you say and defend it, I could get behind it, but they're playing the "dumb card". You play that when you were wrong, not right.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

We're discussing the digital divide in my class, I thought this was interesting enough to post here:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2010/11/2...me-households/

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    We're discussing the digital divide in my class, I thought this was interesting enough to post here:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2010/11/2...me-households/

Do you thunk this may have changed since 2010 (date of the article) as smartphones became more prevalent?

Good catch. Here's an update from this spring: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...tech-adoption/

As my class is looking at digital divide in the context of online education, having only a smartphone would still disadvantage a user. Try taking an online class only on your smartphone.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A couple years ago I tried to launch a NASCAR community site. My assumption while designing it was that most people would use it while on their computer (I don't do much online with my iPhone so I guess I thought others would be like me). When doing research before buying some Facebook advertising I learned that approximately 80% of those who were visiting the site were doing so on their smart phones, and my site design was not very smart phone friendly.

I guess it's my age, but if I'm going to do anything online that will take more than a couple minutes, I get my computer.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

On a different note...

After about 15 years of having DSL (which might reach 1.5Mbps/second on a good day) as our only internet option, Charter/Spectrum did the construction necessary to bring fiber optic cable to our area. It took several months after they began, but we were finally able to cross into the 21st century.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.11.35 AM.png
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

HP laptops found to have hidden keylogger

Hidden software that can record every letter typed on a computer keyboard has been discovered pre-installed on hundreds of HP laptop models.

Security researcher Michael Myng found the keylogging code in software drivers preinstalled on HP laptops to make the keyboard work.

HP said more than 460 models of laptop were affected by the "potential security vulnerability".

It has issued a software patch for its customers to remove the keylogger.

The issue affects laptops in the EliteBook, ProBook, Pavilion and Envy ranges, among others. HP has issued a full list of affected devices, dating back to 2012.

In a statement, the company said: "HP uses Synaptics' touchpads in some of its mobile PCs and has worked with Synaptics to provide fixes to their error for impacted HP systems, available via the security bulletin on HP.com."

'Loss of confidentiality'

Mr Myng discovered the keylogger while inspecting Synaptics Touchpad software, to figure out how to control the keyboard backlight on an HP laptop.

He said the keylogger was disabled by default, but an attacker with access to the computer could have enabled it to record what a user was typing.

According to HP, it was originally built into the Synaptics software to help debug errors.

It acknowledged that could lead to "loss of confidentiality" but it said neither Synaptics nor HP had access to customer data as a result of the flaw.

In May, a similar keylogger was discovered in the audio drivers pre-installed on several HP laptop models.
    At the time, the company said the keylogger code had been mistakenly added to the software.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-4...alflow_twitter
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

Net neutrality has been rescinded.
    Nice meeting you, guys!
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Net neutrality has been rescinded.
    Nice meeting you, guys!
    I wish I could say you're over reacting.

The GOP wants to take away health care, steal our wages/taxes, and now take away an open internet. How are people supposed to look for work? A lot of school work is now online. E-shopping? Brick and mortar stores are disappearing.

Sigh.

Rant over.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I wish I could say you're over reacting.

The GOP wants to take away health care, steal our wages/taxes, and now take away an open internet. How are people supposed to look for work? A lot of school work is now online. E-shopping? Brick and mortar stores are disappearing.

Sigh.

Rant over.
    Not so fast, buster. That will be $0.34. In bitcoins, please!
    Starry starry night

Melissa McEwan‏Verified account
    @Shakestweetz

More
    "Internet traffic coming into and out of Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and other companies was briefly redirected through a Russian provider on Wednesday, in what appears to have been a deliberate move."
    'Intentional' event redirects cloud traffic from Apple, Google & others through Russia
    By Roger Fingas
    Thursday, December 14, 2017, 06:52 am PT (09:52 am ET)

Internet traffic coming into and out of Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and other companies was briefly redirected through a Russian provider on Wednesday, in what appears to have been a deliberate move.

Review: Brydge keyboard for 10.5" iPad Pro

Listen: AI podcast talks 2018 iPhone, iOS 11.2, MakeCrate

Acquisitions: Apple buys song identification app Shazam

Now available: $4999 8-core Intel Xeon iMac Pro

Apple Deals: Grab the lowest prices of the year

T2: New Apple chip handles iMac Pro security, system features

Apple Pay Cash: Launches for iPhone, Apple Watch

Never miss an update Follow AppleInsider RSS
    –A+
    'Intentional' event redirects cloud traffic from Apple, Google & others through Russia
    By Roger Fingas
    Thursday, December 14, 2017, 06:52 am PT (09:52 am ET)

Internet traffic coming into and out of Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and other companies was briefly redirected through a Russian provider on Wednesday, in what appears to have been a deliberate move.

The incident involved the Border Gateway Protocol, or BGP, which funnels high-level traffic through nodes like internet backbones, according to Ars Technica, citing reports by monitoring services BGPMon and Qrator Labs. BGPMon recorded two three-minute hijacks, affecting 80 address blocks in total. Qrator Labs said the incident spanned two hours, with the number of address blocks fluctuating between 40 and 80.

Some reasons for suspicion include the prominence of the impacted companies, and the fact that IP addresses were split into smaller blocks than those announced by the companies —something that doesn't normally happen with a BGP configuration error.

The autonomous Russian system that performed the hijack, known as AS39523, was previously inactive for years except for another BGP incident in August that involved Google.

It's unknown what might been done with data if the latest redirect was deliberate, since much or all of it would've been protected by encryption that has yet to be defeated, at least according to public knowledge. An attacker could conceivably have figured out decryption, attempted to crack it, or may be storing the data for future attacks.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...through-russia

PJ Vogt Verified account @PJVogt
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Wow. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ps-in-the-dark … (via @rustyk5)

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14293536373839