Agree Agree:  113
Likes Likes:  125
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Last month, I received an email from LinkedIn that my account was likely one of the ones hacked there. I don't know if my Yahoo account was hit in this attack (I rarely use it), but when they say that these nearly 500,000 Username and Passwords were not even encrypted, you got to be concerned about your information.

I do all my bill paying, and most of my banking, on line. I'm getting increasingly nervous about that.
    I pay everything online except my car payment. I connect to my bank account online several times a week. Sometimes I get irritated when my bank's website asks me a security question out of the blue... maybe I cool that.

It's absolute grade-school that those passwords weren't encrypted.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I won't claim that I have different passwords for every single online site, but I do have many different ones. I don't use the same sort of passwords for social vs banking stuff, for example. Many of the things I don't care about like the hotmail account I have for collecting spam, or when I'm required to give an e-mail and don't really want to, all have the same password, though.

I guess I have different "tiers" of password security.
    I disapprove of this message

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I won't claim that I have different passwords for every single online site, but I do have many different ones. I don't use the same sort of passwords for social vs banking stuff, for example.
    I guess I have different "tiers" of password security.
    I have a different password for just about everything I have to log in to - the only ones that might still be the same are a few old accounts that I never bothered changing, because they really don't matter.

Of course, I have a book with all the passwords written down, so if I lose that....
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have several different base passwords that I append with different numbers/letters. I have mine all in a single book too. But the book is like 15 years old and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find a current password in it because I've changed them so often over the years.

Several people have copies of all of TAT's passwords for it's various accounts.

I've forgotten how it was when I lived in Philly, but at least for my current bank knowing a password is not enough to use online banking. A code card and user number is also needed. Connecting to company computer system from home via VPN requires the use of one time codes.
    Roger forever

I have to admit that I have only 4 passwords and see no good reason to have more. Two are for internet sites and e-mail accounts of various importance, one for work computer and one for internet banking. No need to write down anything...
    Roger forever

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I've forgotten how it was when I lived in Philly, but at least for my current bank knowing a password is not enough to use online banking. A code card and user number is also needed. Connecting to company computer system from home via VPN requires the use of one time codes.
    My bank is still just username, password, and a visual site confirmation key (which is always the same).

One of my credit cards now has an additional level of security - something called "Verified By Visa". When I make an online purchase, in addition to entering my card information, I am now required to add additional information for the purchase to be approved.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

My bank is still just username, password, and a visual site confirmation key (which is always the same).

One of my credit cards now has an additional level of security - something called "Verified By Visa". When I make an online purchase, in addition to entering my card information, I am now required to add additional information for the purchase to be approved.
    Swiss banks are more advanced then. To log on to my bank account I need my username (7 digit number) and password followed by a 4 symbol code randomly picked from a code list containing 100. My Visa card also uses "Verified by Visa".
    Roger forever

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My bank is exactly the same. If I purchase something online with my debit card I have to include an additional 2nd password.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So I've taken on trying to learn PHP (the main computer language that is used for our forum, home page, photos page, etc.) again. I got sidetracked last time.

The only thing I can say about it at this moment is --->

(I think that's what I had to say about it last time.)

I've been using Firefox instead of Safari a lot lately but I can't believe there is no way to download images from Firefox to iPhoto. There is an add-on but when you use it it crashes the browser. This has been a problem with Firefox since its Version 4. They're up to about 12 now.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I've been using Firefox instead of Safari a lot lately but I can't believe there is no way to download images from Firefox to iPhoto. There is an add-on but when you use it it crashes the browser. This has been a problem with Firefox since its Version 4. They're up to about 12 now.
    I've never used iPhoto, so forgive the ignorant question.... but Save As and storing the file locally does not work? I guess I am unclear on what the issue is. I typically use the right click context menu to save images off Firefox.
    Last edited by James7; 07-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I've never used iPhoto, so forgive the ignorant question.... but Save As and storing the file locally does not work? I guess I am unclear on what the issue is. I typically use the right click context menu to save images off Firefox.
    Me too. I would think you could do that then import it into iPhoto.

I'm so used to Safari where you just right click and add a picture to iPhoto. Maybe I'm just being lazy and I guess it's just going to take getting used to this browser again.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm so used to Safari where you just right click and add a picture to iPhoto. Maybe I'm just being lazy and I guess it's just going to take getting used to this browser again.
    Try Google Chrome as well. Not as much functionality, but very fast and simple

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast