Agree Agree:  113
Likes Likes:  125
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Kirk has talked about this before but Amazon Prime, at less than $80 a year is a great deal. You get movies and television, classics and new. Hulu+ and Netflix also work on the Kindle.
    I feel dumb, but I can't seem to find general device support for Amazon. I'd like to try it, but don't want to have to hook a computer into the TV import to do so or sit and stare at the laptop. I imagine the kindle and such has support, but does anything else?
    I disapprove of this message

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I feel dumb, but I can't seem to find general device support for Amazon. I'd like to try it, but don't want to have to hook a computer into the TV import to do so or sit and stare at the laptop. I imagine the kindle and such has support, but does anything else?
    As far as I know there is no iPad app for Amazon Prime. It may be supported on other other tablets.

Our BlueRay disk player has it built in along with Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and a few other oddball services. We didn't even know about Amazon's streaming service until we got this BlueRay player last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    As far as I know there is no iPad app for Amazon Prime. It may be supported on other other tablets.

Our BlueRay disk player has it built in along with Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and a few other oddball services. We didn't even know about Amazon's streaming service until we got this BlueRay player last year.
    I'm thinking about getting a new blue ray player just because the one I have, which works fine, is older and doesn't have up to date streaming services built in. Shallow I know but it is what it is.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a new blue ray player just because the one I have, which works fine, is older and doesn't have up to date streaming services built in. Shallow I know but it is what it is.
    I don't think it's shallow at all. We figure with the savings of DVD rentals ours has already paid for itself.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm wasting no time spending that Christmas bonus.

I bought Mary her Kindle Fire. She really likes it! I haven't messed with it a lot, but what I have done and seen is impressive. I didn't think I'd like the smaller size. The Fire has a 7" screen and my iPad is 9.5". But the 7" screen doesn't bother me at all. It's actually kind of nice. Smaller size -- lighter weight. It seems to be a really nice little tablet. And you just can't beat the $200 price tag.

I'm also finally dumping my Android. I hate my phone. I'm just not a fan of the Android operating system. When I upgraded to it about a year and a half ago it was before Apple's iPhone was available through Verizon. I went online to pay the cell phone bill this afternoon and discovered I could upgrade to an iPhone 4 for $99 (+ an add'l $5/month for a little larger data plan). I couldn't get the upgrade completed fast enough. It'll be here tomorrow. I'm so excited!!

I'm wasting no time spending that Christmas bonus.

I bought Mary her Kindle Fire. She really likes it! I haven't messed with it a lot, but what I have done and seen is impressive. I didn't think I'd like the smaller size. The Fire has a 7" screen and my iPad is 9.5". But the 7" screen doesn't bother me at all. It's actually kind of nice. Smaller size -- lighter weight. It seems to be a really nice little tablet. And you just can't beat the $200 price tag.

I'm also finally dumping my Android. I hate my phone. I'm just not a fan of the Android operating system. When I upgraded to it about a year and a half ago it was before Apple's iPhone was available through Verizon. I went online to pay the cell phone bill this afternoon and discovered I could upgrade to an iPhone 4 for $99 (+ an add'l $5/month for a little larger data plan). I couldn't get the upgrade completed fast enough. It'll be here tomorrow. I'm so excited!!
    Welcome to the ever growing iPhone club.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Kirkus.
    i am thinking about buying my GF a Fire. But one article in yahoo a couple of days ago put me on hold. It states a few problems. Notably: the screen is not sensitive enough (you have to be very precise where you touch), the OFF button is not well located (and therefore the machine gets turned off frequently), their is no screen brightness control.
    Any inputs from you would be welcomed, before I cough up the dough.
    Thanks.
    Starry starry night

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Kirkus.
    i am thinking about buying my GF a Fire. But one article in yahoo a couple of days ago put me on hold. It states a few problems. Notably: the screen is not sensitive enough (you have to be very precise where you touch), the OFF button is not well located (and therefore the machine gets turned off frequently), their is no screen brightness control.
    Any inputs from you would be welcomed, before I cough up the dough.
    Thanks.
    I just talked to Mary and she verified what was in that article you mentioned. She said you do have to be precise where you touch the screen. The little I've used it I didn't see this as a problem. I think it might be a matter of simply getting used to it. She also said there is no brightness control, but that hasn't bothered her. As far as the on/off button placement, she said it does seem to be in a problematic place (she's accidentally put it to sleep) at the bottom. So now when she's using it she simply rotates it putting that button at the top or on one of the sides. The screen automatically orientates itself to be right-side up.

She also brought up a really good point... if you're buying it to read books on and don't really need it for internet, movies, email, apps, etc., buy a regular Kindle. But if you want it for it's "tablet" features, Mary, who admits she's not real experienced with tablets, is really enjoying it so far.

I've helped several people set up their tablets, both Fire and iPad. Both of them had a little bit of a learning curve getting used to using a touch screen.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. It does help a lot.
    better to get up some info from a reliable source.
    I gather I will still buy it.
    Starry starry night

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I totally lost the entire day. My iPhone arrived at 10:30 this morning and the rest is all a blur.

I totally lost the entire day. My iPhone arrived at 10:30 this morning and the rest is all a blur.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SAN FRANCISCO — At one of Apple’s trademark press events here, Tim Cook, the chief executive, took to the stage to unveil this year’s iPad — and a few other surprises.

I’m calling it “this year’s iPad” because it has no other distinguishing name. Apple says the name is not “iPad 3,” even though the previous model was called the iPad 2. And it’s not “iPad HD,” even though its new retina screen has higher resolution than a high-definition TV screen.

I played with it a little Wednesday and I will be doing an extensive review later. For now, here are a few first impressions.

In addition to the retina display, it has:
    • a faster processor chip
    • a better camera (a five-megapixel)
    • 1080p hi-definition video recording (with stabilization)
    • voice dictation (speak-to-type — not, however, the whole Siri voice-command feature)
    • Personal Hotspot (pay your carrier an extra monthly fee; the iPad broadcasts its Internet signal to nearby laptops and other gadgets over Wi-Fi, wherever you are, even in a car)
    • 4G LTE, which means super-high Internet speeds in cities where Verizon Wireless and AT&T have installed 4G networks.

The prices, storage and battery life are identical to the previous iPads’. Which is impressive — 4G is famous as a battery hog. That’s why this new iPad is a tiny bit thicker and heavier than the last one; it needs a beefier battery.

That wasn’t the only news during the unveiling. Apple also revealed that its $100 Apple TV would get a minor upgrade on March 16. It will be able to play movies in 1080p high definition, and it will have a new icon-based software design.

Oh — and movies you buy from Apple’s online store are now available in an online iCloud locker, available for viewing on any Apple gadget, just as music and TV shows are.

To me, though, the most interesting developments were the new apps that Apple has developed for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

GarageBand, for example, has been blessed with several new music-making features. One of them lets up to four people play different instruments simultaneously. Somehow, their four touchscreen devices stay synchronized over Wi-Fi, and they make a master, perfectly synced four-track recording, ready for mixing, editing (there’s a new note-by-note editing mode) and posting online.

My favorite, if Apple’s demo was any indication, will be iPhoto for iOS. (Like GarageBand, it’s a $5 download. GarageBand is a free upgrade if you bought an earlier iOS version..)

In some ways, it goes beyond iPhoto for the Mac, in that its editing tools can do more than affect an entire photo in one swoop. It offers brushes that let you dab with your fingers to brighten, darken, saturate, desaturate or otherwise enhance individual parts of a photo. That’s something you can do in Photoshop, but it’s never been possible in iPhoto. Multitouch is used cleverly; for example, with two fingers you can rotate a photo, zoom in and out, adjust the shadowy “vignette” framing, and so on.

Another new feature (also unavailable on the “real” iPhoto) lets you double-tap a photo — to auto-select all photos with very similar composition. It’s a fast way to select all the shots of, say, a family grouping in the same pose, in readiness for figuring out which one is the keeper. Somehow the software analyzes what’s actually in the photos and figures out which ones you shot of the same subject.

Those are just iceberg tips of what Apple showed in these new apps, but the message seems clear. Yes, the new iPad’s hardware keeps Apple ahead of its tablet rivals — there’s no other tablet, yet, with anything like these specs — but it’s the software that really makes the iPad shine. It’s those 200,000 apps written just for its larger screen — and these new Apple apps that seem intended to make multitouch creativity faster and more fun.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...it_ct_20120308

Do you remember Flickr's tag line? It reads "almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world." It was an epic humble brag, a momentously tongue in cheek understatement.

Because until three years ago, of course Flickr was the best photo sharing service in the world. Nothing else could touch it. If you cared about digital photography, or wanted to share photos with friends, you were on Flickr.

Yet today, that tagline simply sounds like delusional posturing. The photo service that was once poised to take on the the world has now become an afterthought. Want to share photos on the Web? That's what Facebook is for. Want to look at the pictures your friends are snapping on the go? Fire up Instagram.

Even the notion of Flickr as an archive—as the place where you store all your photos as a backup—is becoming increasingly quaint as Dropbox, Microsoft, Google, Box.net, Amazon, Apple, and a host of others scramble to serve online gigs to our hungry desktops.

The site that once had the best social tools, the most vibrant userbase, and toppest-notch storage is rapidly passing into the irrelevance of abandonment. Its once bustling community now feels like an exurban neighborhood rocked by a housing crisis. Yards gone to seed. Rusting bikes in the front yard. Tattered flags. At address, after address, after address, no one is home.

It is a case study of what can go wrong when a nimble, innovative startup gets gobbled up by a behemoth that doesn't share its values. What happened to Flickr? The same thing that happened to so many other nimble, innovative startups who sold out for dollars and bandwidth: Yahoo.
    http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo...t-the-internet

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yahoo passwords hacked, likely taken through Yahoo Voices

By Hayley Tsukayama, Updated: Thursday, July 12, 12:38 PM
    The Washington Post

Yahoo is looking into a major hack that slurped up the usernames and passwords of 435,000 accounts Wednesday.

According to the security firm TrustedSec, a hacking group known as D33D Company picked up the passwords from Yahoo Voices, the Sunnyvale, Calif.,-based company’s crowd-sourced publishing platform. Yahoo Voices, formerly known as Associated Content, invites users to submit articles through the Yahoo Contributor Network.

The security firm said that the passwords and usernames appeared to be stored without encryption in plain text. That means anyone can use the information.

Yahoo said that of hundreds of thousands of accounts that were breached, fewer than 5 percent had valid passwords.

“We are fixing the vulnerability that led to the disclosure of this data, changing the passwords of the affected Yahoo! users and notifying the companies whose users accounts may have been compromised,” Yahoo said in a statement.

Yahoo’s consumer public relations chief for the United Kingdom, Caroline MacLeod-Smith, told the Associated Press that she couldn’t provide more details about the breach that the company is investigating, including the size of the attack.

CNet reported that the hacking group said it wanted to give a “wake-up call” to Yahoo to boost its security measures and to individual users to strengthen their passwords.

According to the report, one of the most common passwords was “123456.” Other popular passwords included “111111” and “000000.”

VentureBeat’s John Koetsier wrote that he believes the file may be an old backup of the service, explaining that he tried two of the username and password combinations posted by the hacking group and found that neither worked.

“My guess right now, although it’s early in the investigation, is that the 435,000 accounts are pre-Yahoo,” he wrote, saying that they may be from Associated Content’s databases before Yahoo bought the company in 2010.

Still, as Koetsier notes, many people use the same usernames and passwords for multiple accounts, and it isn’t a far jump for hackers to search other sites where they think the same passwords might work.

If you have ever contributed or signed up to contribute to Yahoo Voices or Associated Content, it’s well worth changing that password — and changing your passwords and usernames for any other account with the same log-in information.

As password hacking becomes more and more common, members of Congress are pushing for data protection legislation that would set guidelines for security for customers’ personal information.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...OfW_story.html
    Last edited by Moose; 07-12-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Last month, I received an email from LinkedIn that my account was likely one of the ones hacked there. I don't know if my Yahoo account was hit in this attack (I rarely use it), but when they say that these nearly 500,000 Username and Passwords were not even encrypted, you got to be concerned about your information.

I do all my bill paying, and most of my banking, on line. I'm getting increasingly nervous about that.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast