Agree Agree:  113
Likes Likes:  125
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 828
  1. #31
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    51,048

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie View Post
    Why the *bleep* is importing Thunderbird mail to Thunderbird so *bleeping* irritating?

    Or is it just me and am I missing something obvious?

    I gave up on Thunderbird about 5 years ago because my computer died and even though I had all my e-mail backed up, I couldn't import it.


  2. #32

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Nevermind... Turns out it's very easy
    Coach Marion, at your service!

  3. #33
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

    Kirkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    37,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    I can't find a different email client. Is there anything free out there other than Thunderbird?

  4. #34

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I gave up on Thunderbird about 5 years ago because my computer died and even though I had all my e-mail backed up, I couldn't import it.
    It really is bonkers that after all this time, Thunderbird still does not have an import function for it's own e-mail folders and what not. Still, turns out that "all" you need to do is overwrite the contents of one particular folder with that of the folder you saved from the previous installation/other computer. I restarted Thunderbird and all was as it always had been, so to say. :duh:
    Coach Marion, at your service!

  5. #35
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

    Kirkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    37,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    This is just amazing. I should have assumed I wouldn't get out of 2011 without more computer problems. (Are you tired of hearing me complain?)

    I came in to check my email/FB/TAT real quick to find that my monitor was displaying the brightest and prettiest colored vertical stripes I think I've ever seen.

    Whatever I've done to deserve this year-long techno-karma, I sincerely apologize. Tell me what it was and I'll make up for it. I promise.

    Bastards!!
    Santa came early this year. On her way back from a doctor's appointment, Mary was carrying a new little wide screen LED monitor.

    I know I'm lucky to have 2 computers. And I'm thankful for that. But it was already getting old disconnecting and carrying a monitor downstairs in the morning then reconnecting said monitor upstairs in the evening.

  6. #36

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    I ordered a Kindle Fire before I found out that I had to have eye surgery that necessitated my keeping my head and eyes down for from 4-6 weeks. With the Fire not coming out until mid November I bit the bullet and bought an iPad.

    Now I have both and alternate between them. Right now i use the iPad mostly for the web and the Kindle for games and reading as well as watching Netflix, Hulu and other similar sites. You can watch Netflix, Hulu and YouTube on the iPad but thats it. As you know that is because Apple didn't want to add weight to the iPad by bulking up the battery as I understand it.

    When it comes to Apps the iPad wins. Kindle gives you access to Amazon Prime video playback as well. The iPad was winning on battery life until I realized that I wasn't shutting the Kindle down completely when I was finished. The iPad also has bluetooth and that allows you to sync a wireless keypad to it. You can't do that with a Kindle.

    If the iPad had the flash option it would be perfect. If the Kindle offered more apps and incorporated blue tooth it would be perfect. The Kindle viewing screen is very small but I was able to watch the WTF's with no problems on it.

    I guess in the end it comes down to what your budget will allow. To be honest I prefer the feel of the Kindle. They're both very good.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  7. #37
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

    Kirkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    37,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I ordered a Kindle Fire before I found out that I had to have eye surgery that necessitated my keeping my head and eyes down for from 4-6 weeks. With the Fire not coming out until mid November I bit the bullet and bought an iPad.

    Now I have both and alternate between them. Right now i use the iPad mostly for the web and the Kindle for games and reading as well as watching Netflix, Hulu and other similar sites. You can watch Netflix, Hulu and YouTube on the iPad but thats it. As you know that is because Apple didn't want to add weight to the iPad by bulking up the battery as I understand it.

    When it comes to Apps the iPad wins. Kindle gives you access to Amazon Prime video playback as well. The iPad was winning on battery life until I realized that I wasn't shutting the Kindle down completely when I was finished. The iPad also has bluetooth and that allows you to sync a wireless keypad to it. You can't do that with a Kindle.

    If the iPad had the flash option it would be perfect. If the Kindle offered more apps and incorporated blue tooth it would be perfect. The Kindle viewing screen is very small but I was able to watch the WTF's with no problems on it.

    I guess in the end it comes down to what your budget will allow. To be honest I prefer the feel of the Kindle. They're both very good.
    I'm going to give Mary a Kindle Fire for Christmas.

    My biggest complaint about my iPad (other than the latest update to iOS5.0 makes a lot of my apps crash ) is the lack of Flash support. I watch Netflix on it. I control my computer's iTunes with it when I'm on the treadmill (the app "Remote" is awesome). I have a super excellent calandar/to-do app that I use for TAT projects, storage facility projects, web projects, etc. I play way too much angry birds on it.

    I just bought a bluetooth keyboard/cover for it and it's pretty awesome too. Much easier than using the onscreen keyboard.

  8. #38

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    I watch PBS, NBC and ABC on demand on my iPad. Almost every network except CBS has an on demand app that of course works on the iPad.

    Going to check that APP out now.

    Mary will love her Kindle Fire.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  9. #39

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I watch PBS, NBC and ABC on demand on my iPad. lmost every network except CBS has an on demand app that of. Ourse works on the iPad.

    Going to check that APP out now.

    Mary will love her Kindle Fire.

    Ti - You mentioned you watched WTF on the Kindle Fire. What stream were you using? I don't get ESPN3 or the Tennis Channel, but I do still have TennisTV.com. Do you know if that would work on the Fire?

  10. #40

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Ti - You mentioned you watched WTF on the Kindle Fire. What stream were you using? I don't get ESPN3 or the Tennis Channel, but I do still have TennisTV.com. Do you know if that would work on the Fire?
    I watched tennistv.com and livestreams from the usual sites. Never tried ESPN3.

    The streams were stable.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  11. #41

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Kirk has talked about this before but Amazon Prime, at less than $80 a year is a great deal. You get movies and television, classics and new. Hulu+ and Netflix also work on the Kindle.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  12. #42
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

    Kirkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    37,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Kirk has talked about this before but Amazon Prime, at less than $80 a year is a great deal. You get movies and television, classics and new. Hulu+ and Netflix also work on the Kindle.
    You also get free shipping on stuff you buy from Amazon.

  13. #43

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I'm going to give Mary a Kindle Fire for Christmas.

    My biggest complaint about my iPad (other than the latest update to iOS5.0 makes a lot of my apps crash ) is the lack of Flash support. I watch Netflix on it. I control my computer's iTunes with it when I'm on the treadmill (the app "Remote" is awesome). I have a super excellent calandar/to-do app that I use for TAT projects, storage facility projects, web projects, etc. I play way too much angry birds on it.

    I just bought a bluetooth keyboard/cover for it and it's pretty awesome too. Much easier than using the onscreen keyboard.

    Flash is taking out way too much resources out of device. Flash players crash often. The experience using iPad with flash would not be the same , imo.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

  14. #44
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

    Kirkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    37,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Flash is taking out way too much resources out of device. Flash players crash often. The experience using iPad with flash would not be the same , imo.
    You're probably right. Not to mention the drain on the battery.

    I just think it would be cool to play in our arcade on my iPad. But all of our games are in Flash.

  15. #45

    Re: Techno-babble Random Random

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I watched tennistv.com and livestreams from the usual sites. Never tried ESPN3.

    The streams were stable.
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •