Agree Agree:  104
Likes Likes:  119
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 123456122752 ... LastLast

Re: Techno-babble Random Random

Had noticed that you hadn't posted for a while. Welcome back and good luck with the recovery

Thanks.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

My goodness, Ti. So glad you're back and active. It sounds like the surgery was successful. Thanks for the info on your reading/viewing sources.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The iPad saved my life during my recovery from eye surgery. I have a Kindle but because it's strictly a reader I got an iPad2. It's light Kirk and I found myself doing most of my viewing and when I could reading on the iPad. I would put it on the floor and hang over the end of my chaise to read and/or watch television. I did have to tone the brightness down.

The weird thing was I ordered the Kindle Fire before I knew I had to have eye surgery so it's coming next week.

The thing I love about the iPad are the television apps. Netflix, NBC, ABC, TNT and Hulu+ allowed me to keep fairly current on television. I was upset about the lack of Flash on the iPad but now that Adobe has thrown in the towel on that I guess Apple will go ahead with HTML5 platforms for what are now flash applications.

I got back into reading in a big way and between the Kindle and the Kindle app on the iPad it didn't bother my eye too much. They also sync each other so that if I stopped at a point on the iPad the Kindle would jump to the updated location.

ETA: I don't think the resolution of pictures and maps is great on the Kindle I have. I hope that improves with the Fire.
    Glad to have you back Ti! Hope you continue to recover well.

I have read on macforum.com that heaps of parents are thankful for the iPod, iPod touch and iPad for how they have assisted them with the autistic children. Now Ti, has a testimony ((-_-))

As for Flash there are heaps of work around, like the iswifter browser (not free). Apple IMHO made the right decision in never jumping on the flash bandwagon, it just can consume you devices. I'm hoping and praying things go forward with HTML5 platforms.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

Thanks for the heads up about that browser Foxy.

It's good to be back.

BTW CBS is the only major network that's not streaming it's shows via an App to my knowledge.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So I'm sitting at my computer just now working on the TAT Test Forum and I notice that the internet is going pretty slow, which is odd because no one else is using it but me. So I go look at the router/modem and the wireless network is going crazy with activity.

I log into the router and check the log file and there's the same IP address listed multiple times. AND... as soon as I opened a connection to the router, the wireless traffic subsided!

So I open my browser and pop in the listed IP address and I get the following web page (attachment).

What I don't get is how this is going out over the wireless.

I'm telling you, there's some serious shit going on with China and our internet.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

According to Google Translate, the language is Chinese and translates into:

Construction

You want to see the site is currently no default page. Is it possible to upgrade and configuration operations.

Please visit this site again later. If you still experience problems, please contact the administrator of the site.

If you are a site administrator, and that your error was due to receive this message, see the IIS Help "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content."
    To access IIS Help

1 Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open text box, type inetmgr. IIS Manager will appear.
    3 From the Help menu, click Help Topics.
    4 Click Internet Information Services.
    I have (or thought I had) strict security on my wireless. Family and friends who visit have to jump through a bunch of hoops before they're allowed to log on to the internet.

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Maybe you have a worm. I don't really know much about this stuff except worm/virus = bad, but spikes in activity could mean someone is inside of your system. You may want to try changing your router password just in case someone is using it, and making sure you are using WPA2 or WPA instead of WEP.

You can also listen to this story about Conficker which is enough to make you sure you'll never be safe again (it also has a Conficker test if you get too paranoid )

/completely uneducated attempts to help

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    Maybe you have a worm. I don't really know much about this stuff except worm/virus = bad, but spikes in activity could mean someone is inside of your system. You may want to try changing your router password just in case someone is using it, and making sure you are using WPA2 or WPA instead of WEP.

You can also listen to this story about Conficker which is enough to make you sure you'll never be safe again (it also has a Conficker test if you get too paranoid )

/completely uneducated attempts to help
    Thank you, jadesa. I do appreciate the suggestions!

I've wondered about a worm for sometime now. I know when I first start up this computer it just takes forever and a day. Then when starting up Firefox it's the same story. The hard drive just clicks and clicks and clicks before the browser is ready to go.

My other computer, which is actually older and slower starts up and launches Firefox a whole lot faster.

I'm not used to worrying about worms/viruses what with being a Mac-guy, but I think some research is definitely in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    So I'm sitting at my computer just now working on the TAT Test Forum and I notice that the internet is going pretty slow, which is odd because no one else is using it but me. So I go look at the router/modem and the wireless network is going crazy with activity.

I log into the router and check the log file and there's the same IP address listed multiple times. AND... as soon as I opened a connection to the router, the wireless traffic subsided!

So I open my browser and pop in the listed IP address and I get the following web page (attachment).

What I don't get is how this is going out over the wireless.

I'm telling you, there's some serious shit going on with China and our internet.
    You probably already know this by now, but the IP address appearing in your screenshot appears to be involved in a lot of such activity: http://www.liveipmap.com/221.192.199.49 . You should set up IP filtering to block them out.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    You probably already know this by now, but the IP address appearing in your screenshot appears to be involved in a lot of such activity: http://www.liveipmap.com/221.192.199.49 . You should set up IP filtering to block them out.
    I didn't know about that! Thank you, Rabbit.

I don't think they can get into my network, but I'm going to find out how to block the IP range anyway.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The computer troubles continue. My "upstairs" computer should be faster/better than my "downstairs" computer. But it's not. Especially at start-up. When I turn it on the hard drive spends minutes, literally minutes, click-click-clicking while doing nothing that I can see. My "downstairs" computer just starts right up.

When my last computer died I simply switched hard drives with it's replacement, rather than reinstall programs and transfer files. I think maybe that might be the problem. It looks like I may have to reformat the drive and start from scratch.

I know... who cares? But I feel better typing it out.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Maybe the astronomy equipment or trip to Indian Wells will have to wait. Maybe the tax refund should go to a "new" (rather than a "new to me but really used") computer.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Maybe the astronomy equipment or trip to Indian Wells will have to wait. Maybe the tax refund should go to a "new" (rather than a "new to me but really used") computer.
    This is just amazing. I should have assumed I wouldn't get out of 2011 without more computer problems. (Are you tired of hearing me complain?)

I came in to check my email/FB/TAT real quick to find that my monitor was displaying the brightest and prettiest colored vertical stripes I think I've ever seen.

Whatever I've done to deserve this year-long techno-karma, I sincerely apologize. Tell me what it was and I'll make up for it. I promise.

Bastards!!

Why the *bleep* is importing Thunderbird mail to Thunderbird so *bleeping* irritating?

Or is it just me and am I missing something obvious?
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 123456122752 ... LastLast